Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staying True to the Game

Default Staying True to the Game

I've never played Final Fantasy III for the Famicom because I don't own a famicom. And even if I did, I don't speak Japanese, so I probably wouldn't do too well playing the game. I am aware that it's possible to play the game on your computer using an Emulator, but I'm also aware that it's illegal to do this. So I haven't done that.

So when I play FFIII for the DS, it will be my first FF3 experience.

But I've been looking over the screenshots, and they look really... good.

The version of FF1 on the PSX didn't look like the original NES version at all. But it was still the same basic idea. Aerial view, turn-based combat, and so forth.

But this version of FF3 looks NOTHING like the Famicom screenshots I've seen. It looks like a totally new game, loosely based around FF3. I mean, will it still have the same gameplay, as far as field and combat?

Keep in mind that I know VERY little about this game. I know that it has jobs, like FFV. I know that you start as Onion kids (or something like that) and I know that you get a lot of airships. I've heard that the original NES graphics look strikingly similar to the FF4 SNES graphics, only, NES. And I guess I can see that, judging by the screenshots I've seen.

I'm just wondering, though. If I get FFIII for the DS, am I actually getting FF3? I'd certainly say that FF1&2oS isn't a faithful representation of Final Fantasy OR Final Fantasy II (judging by the FFOrigins version). It was all watered-down and simplified. I played FF1 on the NES and it had a distinct feel to it. Apart from the 8-bit graphics and sound, the game just felt a certain way. I think that FFOrigins captured that feeling pretty well, but DoS did not.

So, to those of you who have played the original FF3, how does this new version seem to be stacking up as of now?
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The people in charge of producing the remake were the same people who developed the original game, and they were extremely committed to keeping everything as true to 1990 as possible. The environmental architecture hasn't changed. The enemies are just as aggressive. The items are all in the same place. You can only save on the world map. The most common complaint about the game is that they didn't change enough to update it for modern tastes.

So I would say you have nothing to worry about.

Aside from adding a couple of sidequests and Mognet, the only thing that's really changed is the graphics and controls.
    Sigless

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    You can only save on the world map.
    Is there absolutely no Save Points near boss battles.

Excellent point. If there are no save points, it will certainly be challenging. I'm reminded of FF1 for the NES, when you go the Marsh Cave and you only have about 2 LIT2's, and you HAVE to save at least one for the Wizards guarding the Crown. Due to that game's lack of save points, filling up MP was quite a chore. However, it made for a more interesting game. It was more challenging and required you to strategize in each fight, instead of mindlessly pushing "A" until all the enemies were gone.

However, I don't know that other FF games (Like FF6 or FF7) would be possible without Save Points, or at least some way to fill up MP, other than Inns and the super expensive "House"..
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Znake View Post
    It seems not, and that also means you'll have to fight through at least two long dungeons to beat the game as there's no save points in the final dungeon or before it. I know it's there to add some challenge, but it's still annoying since even going through (SPOILER)the Sylx Tower and the Dark World takes 1.5-3 hours, so if you want to replay those parts and beat the final boss again, it will take a long time.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

There's a couple of changes, such as a few new classes, Onion Kids are no longer the starting class but a special class you gain later on. NPC's that follow you may help you out in battle occasionally. Apart from that it's practically identical as has been said.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Znake View Post
    It seems not, and that also means you'll have to fight through at least two long dungeons to beat the game as there's no save points in the final dungeon or before it. I know it's there to add some challenge, but it's still annoying since even going through (SPOILER)the Sylx Tower and the Dark World takes 1.5-3 hours, so if you want to replay those parts and beat the final boss again, it will take a long time.
    True, but than you can always re-battle some bosses again, instead of just the Final Boss. But a save-point just before Zande wouldn't hurt.

What you can do, however, is first take all treasures in the Sylx Tower, go back to the entrance, save, and then rush up to the top again.

And besides, if you're at a high level, you may not have to beat all Dark World bosses and have a tougher Final Boss. No save points offer some possabilities. But also some limitations...

Oh well, at least there's quick save if you suddenly have to quit playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    What you can do, however, is first take all treasures in the Sylx Tower, go back to the entrance, save, and then rush up to the top again.

The idea of getting all the treasures, leaving to save/rest up then coming back to kill the bad guy is very FF1! I like it.

And I think Quicksave features don't help with suddenly having to quit playing. I think quicksave is for when you're in a place where you might die, so you quicksave in case you. Because a quick save is lost if you hard reset or power off the game, I think.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

FFIII's quick save takes you out of the game, and when you resume, the data is erased. So you really can't use it as if it were a save point.

I cant wait for this game.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

*SPOILERS!*

True, but than you can always re-battle some bosses again, instead of just the Final Boss. But a save-point just before Zande wouldn't hurt.

And besides, if you're at a high level, you may not have to beat all Dark World bosses and have a tougher Final Boss. No save points offer some possabilities. But also some limitations...

That's true, and actually, I always go through Eureka and level up there a lot, then I get all the treasures in the Sylx Tower, make my way back to the healing springs at the top of Eureka, and finally I head back to the entrance of the Sylx Tower to save the game. As far as I know, you do need to beat all the 4 Dark Crystal bosses so that you can even scratch the final boss. If you meant that I don't need to fight the Zande Clones to get Ribbons, I wouldn't really be worried about them. Usually I have my Sages use their weapons to petrify them on the first turn.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD View Post
    *SPOILERS!*

That's true, and actually, I always go through Eureka and level up there a lot, then I get all the treasures in the Sylx Tower, make my way back to the healing springs at the top of Eureka, and finally I head back to the entrance of the Sylx Tower to save the game. As far as I know, you do need to beat all the 4 Dark Crystal bosses so that you can even scratch the final boss. If you meant that I don't need to fight the Zande Clones to get Ribbons, I wouldn't really be worried about them. Usually I have my Sages use their weapons to petrify them on the first turn.
    Well I heard you don't really need to defeat Echidna, AHriman, Cerberus and 2-Head Dragon to scratch the FB. Not all of them, anyway. Could be a rumor.

And I saw something weird yesterday! I was battling teh Final Boss for fun, and normally, all it uses is Flare Wave, right? Well, my eyes almost jumped out of their sockets when I saw the Final Boss perform a normal attack and miss! Lucky me, cause I had an all out attack 4x Shurikens and 2x bahamut. And no Flare Wave damage.
    Anybody else who has seen the Final Boss do something else than Flare Wave?
    I only saw her/he/it doing it once.

Hey, if anyone feels up to answering, how did you all play the game? Do you live Japan, or did you import a system and cart or did you play a rom of it, or what? All this talk about it makes me wanna play the NES version first, but I don't think I'm comfortable using an emulator, even if it was legal.

So, is there anyone who will share how they got to play it?
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

FF3 in it's nes ROM format has been translated for some time. It's how the majority of English speaking players have managed to get hold of our game. Heck, even our own front site walkthrough and information page is based upon this translated ROM so, meh, there you go.
    There is no signature here. Move along.