28 87.50%
  • PSP

3 9.38%
  • Don't know...

1 3.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DS or PSP?

DS or PSP?

So which do you own/like more/prefer, the DS or the PSP?

For me its the DS by far. The gaming capabilities just really make it for me. And everything the PSP has to offer I already have or have no need for. I also find the PSP controls to be too junky for most games.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The DS, for numerous reasons.

* The battery life - the PSP is just pathetic in this department, whereas your DS will give you many, many hours of enjoyment without having to recharge.
    * The quality of games - New SMB, Tetris DS, Sonic Rush, etc, beat the pants off the PSP's paltry line-up, in my opinion.
    * The design - it looks far better than the big, clunky, ugly PSP.
    * The quality - I know quite a few people who own PSP's, and they all have dead pixels. Plus, Sony won't replace consoles with dead pixels, whereas Ninty will. Unacceptable.
    * The price - of course, the PSP is over-priced (in my opinion), and the DS isn't.
    * Ease of Use - the carts are easy to use and aren't easily damaged. I hate the UMD discs. They look dumb.

"As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

DS. I bought a DS because i've never had anything Nintendo before, so there was a lot of Nintendo style games i'd yet to play, and the PSP game libary was mostly spin-offs off PS2 games.

Although I am going to get a PSP soon, if it's true that you can download some rare PS1 games for it, plus the three FF's.

DS - For the most part what Rainecloud said. Though I do think the PSP looks better than the DS. But who the hell buys a system for looks?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

In my purse you will find both. :}

Oh yeh something I forgot to say was the fact that DS can play GBA games.

If you want to play GBA games, buy a Gameboy Advance Trust me, they GBA games are a lot more 'this feels right' on a Gameboy Advance then on a DS. The most off-putting thing about GBA games on a DS is that one screen is just black. It feels wierd.

I have both a PSP and a Nintendo DS and if I was recommending just one it would be a DS, easily. For the games alone, like:

Phoneix Wright, Trauma Centre, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, 42 All Time Classics, Lost in Blue, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, etc, etc...

Too many great games already on the Nintendo DS.

But for sheer potential and 'what might be released in the future' it would be the PSP. There are some great games already out for it (Tears of Vermillion, Lumines, Guilty Gear) and there are some good looking games already in development.

Of course, I have both, so I don't care which is better, but for recommendation it would be the DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Man View Post
    If you want to play GBA games, buy a Gameboy Advance Trust me, they GBA games are a lot more 'this feels right' on a Gameboy Advance then on a DS. The most off-putting thing about GBA games on a DS is that one screen is just black. It feels wierd.
    What's the point in buying a seperate system for GBA games, when you can pay a little extra and be able to play DS games as well? Who really cares if there's a black screen there?

I say DS because it has a better game line up than the PSP (in my opinion, of course), especially with FF3 and the FF12 spin-off coming on to it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    What's the point in buying a seperate system for GBA games, when you can pay a little extra and be able to play DS games as well? Who really cares if there's a black screen there?
    And how much do Game Boy Advances actually cost now, either brand new or second hand? In the UK you can get a brand new Game Boy Micro for about £30 or a GBA SP for £20 if you look around. Cheaper then most DS Games. Hardly costing a fortune.

I prefer the PSP. While I admit the DS has more original games that are decent, I still prefer what the PSP is offering. I dont play my DS much, and if I did, it'd either be Bleach DS or Tetris DS. With the PSP however, Ive got Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Guilty Gear Judgement, Tekken DR and Power Stone. Which I prefer a whole lot over any DS game.

Maybe it will be more closer when the games I want for my DS come out, at the moment though, PSP by miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Man View Post
    And how much do Game Boy Advances actually cost now, either brand new or second hand? In the UK you can get a brand new Game Boy Micro for about £30 or a GBA SP for £20 if you look around. Cheaper then most DS Games. Hardly costing a fortune.
    I've seen GBA SP and Micro's for $100AUD. The DS costs $180AUD. I'd rather get a DS than buy both a DS and a GBA. =\ Even if they are as cheap as you say, you're still saving, unless you really don't want the DS side of things.

Edit:
    I don't know why you wouldn't want the DS side of things, if you like the GBA games a lot to buy one, you're going to love a lot of the DS games.
    Last edited by Rostum; 10-26-2006 at 11:27 AM.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Touché,Threeché,SPAMATION Monster Hunt's Avatar

DS
    was all like to who was acctually feeling due to the fact that :oscar: & :frylock: couldn't go to his b'day party. patted him on the back and :mog: said there's always next year. felt more , felt , but :moose: (who knows when (as the person he is) he came in) was more of a . :magus: jumped in and told that no one really likes him. BROKEN ran everyone over with a :sophia:. So lived happily ever after, especially after he had with :rsl:
    The end!

66% of sig statistics are fake- and so is this one.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My DS should arrive in the mail any day now. They shipped the games before the actual DS, so I've skimmed the manuals a few times. ;o

The only game I'd be interested in on the PSP is Medievil - Resurrection.

I'd like to play the new Metal Gear Solid for PSP. That's... pretty much it. I'm definitely going with the DS for many of the reasons listed above.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

If you want a portable PlayStation, the PSP is appropriately branded and does an ok job some of the time. If you're deep into the fighting games and you might have an itch for some tekken or guilty gear in the middle of the day, then it's pretty good.
    If you're a little more into the 'dark side' stuff, the PSP has a thriving homebrew community. That's the main reason I got my PSP. There are some pretty nifty applications out there.

PSP is an ok portable with a few highlights that make it worth it depending on what your tastes and intentions are.

Just figured I'd make a positive PSP post, just this once. Anyone who knows me for 5 minutes can probably guess what I voted though.