Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortal Kombat!

Blog Entries

Default Mortal Kombat!

Who else here likes Mortal Kombat? Part of the reason I like it is because it's a childhood memory. I used to play it all the time when I was in Kindergarten/1st grade. The first time I played it was when I was 4 or 5. It was at a small arcade in Dairy Queen. I picked the character Baraka, who is still one of my favorite characters. I remember my dad smiling at me while I was playing the game, because it was so violent. I enjoyed the violence. I remember I got beat by the Blue Baraka, and he walked up to me and chopped my head off and blood was splattering all over the place. I started laughing loudly at the scene, and so did my dad.

Then, I began playing it again. I used to rent MK Trilogy at the local renting store. I got the game whenever I could, and I loved it. I always played as Goro, Raiden, Scorpion, any of the other Ninjas, Baraka, Centaro, and probably more. I loved this game, and I still do love it. My current favorite characters are:

Raiden
    Scorpion
    Goro
    Sub-Zero
    Noob Saibot
    The Cyber Ninjas
    Shao Khan
    Baraka

Discuss MK!!

I do really like Mortal Kombat. Well, I've never played the 3D ones.

Just some really good memories, on all the old systems. But these games were so much better in the arcades that I used to go to (where there was a roller skating ring), I can't remember how young I was, probably 5-7.

This and Street Fighter 1 & 2 in the arcades was just pure awesome sauce.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I remember challenging my friends, and then losing. My favorite character is Scorpion.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I loved MK Ultimate

my faveorite characters were the Sisters, Sub-Zero (duh... freeze the enemy to death) and also Chameleon for her unpredictable attacks.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Mortal Kombat was the game I played between any other game when I was in middle school. My dad, my brother, and I played so much that we eventually got insanely good. I couldn't dream of having reaction skills like that again unless I "trained" for a good month.

We used to pick the mode in MK3 where you could pick a set of four (not sure of the actual number) characters in a row and fight. However, we were so crazy obsessed that we could do a random choice tournament and, no matter who the four characters were that the computer selected, we would know most of their moves, most of their fatalities, animalities, and a bunch of those ludicrous 7+ hit combos.

I love thinking about the good old days when I had such talent. I really suck at games lately compared to what I used to be able to do.

Oh, and favorite characters:
    MK2 - Mileena, Reptile, and Baraka
    MK3 - Nightwolf, Cyrax, and Sindel
    Last edited by oddler; 10-29-2006 at 05:42 AM.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm not a huge fan of fighting games, but I do like a few select ones, with Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Soul Calibur being the standout exceptions. The gameplay in Mortal Kombat didn't impress me too much, but the graphics, characters and fatalities sure did. I'd never seen anything quite so gruesome in a video game as a child, so it shocked and impressed me at the same time.

'The Pit' was a household favourite.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Trilogy is one of my fav games of all time. I kicked ass with sub zero.

Back in their Megadrive days, they werent that bad, maybe because games those days didnt have much depth. Nowadays, their flawed in nearly all aspects of gameplay. People are conned out of their money with cheap fatalities which serve no purpose at all. Gameplay is stiff and horribly simple.

Ive been around the block when it comes to fighting games, and I rank MK one of the worst out there.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

We still attempt to play Mortal Kombat 3 sometimes. Liu Kang's bicycle kick sound brings back memories. <3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Back in their Megadrive days, they werent that bad, maybe because games those days didnt have much depth. Nowadays, their flawed in nearly all aspects of gameplay. People are conned out of their money with cheap fatalities which serve no purpose at all. Gameplay is stiff and horribly simple.

Ive been around the block when it comes to fighting games, and I rank MK one of the worst out there.
    ...Basically all the classic versions besides the PSX and arcade ones, sucked, because blood was removed/dubbed down.

I think the gameplay is pretty smooth. I play MK: Deadly Alliance and it's pretty smooth. It has features such as switching fighting styles, and you actually have to work to get secret characters and loads of other bonuses. If anything, it's far from simple.

Fatalities purposes are to simply, I don't know, kick their ass in the awesomest way imaginable?

I would take the old school MK over the new ones any day. MK: Deadly Alliance and Deception had horribly broken gameplay, and I'm guessing Armageddon isn't any better. I honestly don't think they could have made the characters any stiffer even if they tried to. If you want to play good fighting games I suggest you pick up SF: 3rd Strike, any SC, and pretty much any Tekken.

There's a reason why one of the ones I mentioned is in bold.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Reptile and Baraka!

Sub-Zero.

Owen made this sig. R.I.P.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Just a quick question: I know the Snes version of MK was edited due to "too much violence", but what happened to the blood? I don't remember there being any blood in the game at all, but one of my friends has stated that it definitely contained green blood.

Anyone remember?
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Genji View Post
    Fatalities purposes are to simply, I don't know, kick their ass in the awesomest way imaginable?
    There a gimic now, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by RiseToFall
    If you want to play good fighting games I suggest you pick up SF: 3rd Strike, any SC, and pretty much any Tekken.
    Yes. Genji, your mind has been warped into thinking MK can hold up to any other fighter. I suggest you play these and take a long hard think whether you should still be playing MK.