Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent Fantasy or Sci-Fi Movies

Blog Entries

Default Decent Fantasy or Sci-Fi Movies

Give me suggestions.

All I can think of is The Matrix, and, frankly, I've seen it before.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Fifth Element.

You will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    The Fifth Element.

You will enjoy it.
    Oh god, that movie rocked!

The Fifth Element is probably the best Sci-Fi production ever. That black dude was like... hysterical. Absoloutely.

I agree with everyone else that The Fifth Element is a very enjoyable movie. Other than that I suggest Serenity - it's highly enjoyable and it's not your normal kind of Sci-Fi movie.

Blade Runner ^^

I used to love The Fifth Element. Then I watched it again like a week ago, and I have no idea what I saw in it. I guess it's just one of those things.

Fantasy: Mirrormask. Seriously, one of the best fantasy movies I've seen in a long time. It's a little childish, but I like it nonetheless. It's like a modern retelling of Wizard of Oz, if Dorothy lived in a circus family.

Sci-fi: Serenity. Fun? Yes. Hilarious? Yes. Heartbreaking? Yes. Intelligent? Yes. I couldn't ask for anything more in a movie.

Serenity and Fifth Element are awesome. Watch them.

As for fantasy.... Princess Bride!

Banned

The Fifth Element was so-so.

Good sci-fi: 1984, A Clockwork Orange.

Though the best sci-fi out there is of course the Star Trek series.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Enemy Mine ~ a cult classic, and a vastly overlooked movie from the 80's. The story is about a pilot who crash lands on an alien planet in the midst of a bloody war between humans and aliens. An alien spacecraft also crashes on the planet, and the human and alien are forced to co-exist together in order to survive. 'Tis a very emotional movie that's well worth watching.

2001: A Space Odyssey ~ You must have heard of this movie. The story revolves around a giant monolith in space that needs investigating. A group of astronauts set off on a dangerous mission to reach the monolith, only to have their lives put in danger by their insane onboard computer, HAL, who seems to value everything except human life.

2010: The Year We Make Contact ~ the sequel to the above. Another excellent movie, that continues from where the first film ended. More astronauts are sent on a mission to find out what happened to the previous bunch of astronauts who reached the monolith in space.

Contact ~ my all time-favourite sci-fi movie. A strange transmission is received by a group of scientists who are searching for intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. The transmission is then decoded, and takes the scientists on a journey like no other. Simply awesome stuff, and mandatory viewing for all.

Enjoy.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rainecloud View Post
    2001: A Space Odyssey ~ You must have heard of this movie. The story revolves around a giant monolith in space that needs investigating. A group of astronauts set off on a dangerous mission to reach the monolith, only to have their lives put in danger by their insane onboard computer, HAL, who seems to value everything except human life.
    That is possibly the slowest movie ever made.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Fifth Element, Serenity, Contact, Aliens, Predator, The Day The Earth Stood Still, and Earth Girls Are Easy all rate highly.

The best two, however, have quite simply got to be The Thing, and Blade Runner.

Edit: If you wish to count it as sci-fi, Escape From New York is pretty damned excellent as well. Heck, just get everything made by John Carpenter. If Kurt Russell is in it as well you will be on to a winner, 100% guaranteed. (Big Trouble In Little China is my sole fantasy contribution right here )

As MILF already said, The Thing is great, watch it, both versions.

Terminator 1 and 2, Total Recall, The Running Man, Space Balls, The Day the earth stood still, Robocop 1, Pitch Black, Silent Running and finally Blade Runner.

Got some Arnie in there, some oldies and some comedy, that should set you off.

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will agree with Enemymine. Ans Serenity. Great movies.

But I have to say, one of the best sci-fi movies ever made, was Mission to Mars. Oh, and of course, The Abyss. Brilliant movies. Two of my favorites.

As for fantasy. Hm. Willow is a good one. That is all I can think of right now. Maybe I will add more to my list later.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well