Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main Character

Default Main Character

From the reviews I've been reading about FFXII, I get the impression that there is no main character in this game at all. Being a fan of one man's struggle to save the world kind of thing (Xenogears, FF games, KH, KOTOR.) Does it take anything away from the game?

In all honesty I don't know why I'm worrying about this, but I just get the feeling that it won't be the same kind of feeling of connection to a character, like I felt in those other games.

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

FF6 didn't have a main character, and yet it's held to be one of, if not the best FF game so far, so it can't be that bad, can it? =P
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

I know, it's just that I'm so used to the whole male/female antagonist. My main concern is the connection with the characters. I'm afraid with the story being so spread out with every character, I won't be able to develope the connection with them like other games.

Anyone else have this concern?

***EDIT***
    Spatvark, nice sig! Really love that show!
    Last edited by qu1ck; 10-29-2006 at 04:09 PM.

Yes,I agree Quick.
    But also,i think Vaan is pretty much the main character,same with Ashe.Actually,wat i found is that Vaan and Peenelo have a story,Fran and ........lol,cant remmember his name,but the sky pirate,......and basch has his story...same with Ashe.so really,i dont think there not being a MAIN character in the game will take away from the story at all. If anything,it will make it better.
    Too big.

Old-Ones Studios Cruise Control's Avatar

I hope so, I share Qu1ck's concern. It's why I love Tidus, I empathize with him.

EDIT: It's also why I hate Cloud and Squall, they don't show emotion, so how can I bond with them?
    Leave some shards under the belly
    Lay some grease inside my hand
    It's a sentimental jury
    And the makings of a good plan

Articles
    Blog Entries

I personally think that's kind of cool, but we need more variety of main characters. That's why I can't wait for FFXIII. Anyway, his name is Balthier (and my fav!) Anyway just about everyone is connected somehow... which makes it cool, kinda like a puzzle, they each play a suprisingly significant role in everyone else's lives. Like in LOST for example, Sayid was captured by Kelvin, who's Kate's dad (I think...) who Kelvin also just happens to be kind of a friend for Desmond, who reached the island by Libby's boat, and Libby just happened to be Hurley's, girlfriend, and Hurley has unlucky numbers that gave him horrific luck, but those numbers happen to be important to Desmond, because he typed those numbers in for three years. However, those numbers also is what caused the burning of now-rich Hurley's unknown company, which happens to be the box company Locke worked at, and Locke once fixed something for Sayid's love, wow that just HAPPENS to be a run-on sentence.

This game is very similiar to FFX's story-telling techniques.

Ashe (Yuna) is the real main character, and it's her story that we're following. While Vaan (Tidus) provides more of a narrator perspective.

ahhh...that would make sense...but really,then we come to the main character idea......THERE IS NO MAIN CHARACTER!!! everyone is connected...so..ya. and they all have there own seperate ideas...
    Too big.

Yuna wasn't the main character of FFX...no matter what you say. The best references come from the game itself, and with Tidus almost always being thenumber 1 character being controled, and of course the famous "This is my story" quote, it's hands down obvious who the main character is.

In FFXII though, I see no one as a main as well like FFVI is. Sure Vaan is the guy who you see if you have more than one character in your party and you're walking around a town, but it's pretty balanced in FFXII. I like a mix of both every once in a while.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nosebleed View Post
    EDIT: It's also why I hate Cloud and Squall, they don't show emotion, so how can I bond with them?
    Half the Squall haters complain that he's emo(tional), the other half complain that he's emotionless. That just proves that they're all idiots. :P

I like the character balance in FFXII thus far. They haven't full-out established a main character (yet, anyways), and to those who think it's Vaan, a few CSs will rectify that.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Uh, Vaan is the main character. The story is focusing on him so far. I don't know if this changes later in the story, but so far there's been no reason to think otherwise. And besides, he's the guy you see inside of town. xD

I still believe Tina is the main character for FFVI, but I won't start that up again now.

Vaan seems kind of like a lead, but as I've continued on I would consider Ashe to be the closest to a main character.

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Vaan is when FFXII was first announced they presented Vaan and Ashe first, so they are the two main characters, and I haven't gone a single battle yet without Vaan, if you're not counting playing as Reks in the beginning. Besides you run around in towns as Vaan,but the story isn't narrrated by Vaan in the begginning remember it was some old dude that told us what happened after the war.

Yellow Winged Angel

Vaan is more of the narrator perspective rather than an actual main character. This isn't really his story at all. Its more the story of Ashe and the resistance as a whole, which Vaan plays a strong role in, if only on accident. Otherwise, he is simply another face in the story, nad as the story progresses, he begins to play less of a role more and more rapidly. I haven't finished the story yet though, so he may make a bit of a comeback.