Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XII: Finally Released - Your Opinions

I didn't exactly feel like making another thread so I'll just ask it here. For all the people that picked up the Collectors Edition, was it worth the extra $10?

It was for a guy like me. It had a featurette called "The History of Final Fantasy" where they talked about all 12 of the games, and mentioned which game had which firsts (i.e. first chocobo, first moogle) and they always covered the role of Cid in each game. Plus it has a lot of still artwork, like pictures of Espers and such.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

the introduction with the narrator voice kind of annoyed me a bit, but everything else is SUPERRRRB. I really love the battle system and the characters. And Fran...!! OMG IS SHE HOT.
    And We All Fall Down..

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think I've ever spent 90 dollars on any gaming purchase outside of the internet before today, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

I must now indulge.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only gotten to the part after the first monster hunt so I'm not very far into the game. But these are my initial impressions.

- Panelo is not annoying me like I thought she would. Yay!
    - I like it when people in the game say Vaan's name out loud because it makes me think of Vaughn from Alias and there are few fictional people in this world I love more than Vaughn. Ooh, Vaughn. So yeah. That makes me happy just by association.
    - Vayne talks funny. In fact, a lot of the dialogue is weirdly stilted. I can't exactly put my finger on it. It might just be the emphasis placed on certain words that doesn't quite come out right, or just the way some of the sentences are structured themselves. They don't sound like how people actually talk. But Vayne in particular sounds really awkward, convoluted and funny.
    - The license board makes me very nervous. I change my mind a lot and the lincense thing is so permanent that it makes me not want to purchase licenses for fear that I'll change my mind about it later. Hmm.
    - I'm very used to the FFXI style fighting, so all that is going pretty well for me and I'm enjoying it.
    - The limitations of the camera angles and stuff is really annoying at times.
    - The music isn't standing out to me
    - The game itself is beeeeautiful.
    - Basch made me sad. ;_;

Overall I'm really enjoying myself. I haven't played anything beside FFXI in a very long time. It's weird because occassionally, when I'm fighting and something links, I think "oh, I hope someone comes by and grabs the link" and then it's like, "wait, no." xD

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Mmm, Vayne looks like Laguna! Although, I didn't really notice until I watched his speech in Rabanastre.

I don't have a single complaint about it yet. The intro was stunning, and everything since has been really fun and epic. Not to mention that the music has been stuck in my head all day. FFXII could easily become my favorite (but it's possible that I'm just a little too hyped xD).

I'm on hour 16. Around hours 2-3 I was getting used to battle system. Around hour 10, I HATED it. By hour 13, I LOVED it.

The story is flying over my head. Something about a dawn shard?

By the way:
    Balthier = Smartass = Awesome
    Fran = Icelandic = Sweet

the intro was absolutely gorgeous! i am only a short ways into the game, school is taking up most of my time, but it's beautiful! i don't know about the battle system yet, but i'm being optimistic.

Right now im really enjoying this ff12 game.

BAttle System: In the beginning of the game i hated the battle system it was way too slow and it took forever to hit, but as you got deeper into the game, it gets very good and challenging, so people who are just starting the game and aren't 5-6 hours into playing it dont be quick to judge, itll get better

Story: Story is actually really good i didn't expect it to be this good so thumbs up for that.

Music: the biggest weakness of this game by far....

Quote Originally Posted by skillzboy4 View Post
    BAttle System: In the beginning of the game i hated the battle system it was way too slow and it took forever to hit, but as you got deeper into the game, it gets very good and challenging, so people who are just starting the game and aren't 5-6 hours into playing it dont be quick to judge, itll get better
    Put Active mode (monsters attacks you while you choose your commands) and put the battle speed to the max in the config and you will see that it will be very fast.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Oh man Vayne is HOT.

I'm enjoying it so far. I'm pretty blown away by the expansiveness of it, the last time the beginning town blew me away with its size was FFIX (which makes it seem like they give special treatment to every three games in the series ). The storyline and atmosphere is well fitting of another adventure in Ivalice, warring nations and political schemes notwithstanding. Hell, I'm only two hours into the game! I like the monster hunts, and I definitely, most definitely enjoy the License Board. It's like the Sphere Grid, but not all crazy and everything. I love it. I may go far as to say I heart.gif it.

The new battle system is neat, though it gets getting used to. It isn't even really in real time, so I'm not sure why some people are all 'omg it's not liek teh final fantasy!!1111111111111one'. This game has something for everyone, old school and newer players of the series alike. It's a pleasant treat to be able to equip more than three pieces of equipment again.

The characters are generally enjoyable now (Vayne=<3<3<3), though Vaan's voice actor is really nasal. Still, nothing is worse than James Arnold Taylor.

I could go on and on, but I've paraphrased the same thing in two other message boards and my fingers hurt. It would probably be a good idea to copy/paste this...

Edit: In addition, the 'History of Final Fantasy' featurette in the Collector's Edition bonus DVD was a nice treat. The art book in the CE strategy guide is gorgeous, and the guide itself is almost as big as a phone book. I didn't think I'd see a guide bigger than Kingdom Hearts II's or Star Ocean 3's, though it's not as big as Disgaea 2's of course...

I got Vaan on the cover.

------------

I also noticed the wierd dialogue. In addition, some of the words that are spoken are not in the subtitles (yes, I leave the subtitles on, what.), though it wouldn't make much of a difference in understanding.

Oh dear god, I LOVE THE LICENSE BOARD. This thing is so awesome. Maybe it's just because of all the equipment, or maybe it's the high from getting to buy magic from shops again, but I just really enjoy the customization system in FFXII.

Quote Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skillzboy4 View Post
    Put Active mode (monsters attacks you while you choose your commands) and put the battle speed to the max in the config and you will see that it will be very fast.

yeah i had it active mode in the beginning it still kinda felt slow for me, but its really sick now.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Fran does rock. I loved her since I started playing the game. Her voice is awesome and over all as a character she is awesome. Vieras FTW.

The only thing I found was until recently (so early on) it was hard to have enough gil to be properly equiped and stuff and I ended up dying quite often. Right now I am (SPOILER)Where you fight Vosslar (sp???) after he reveals that he was helping Gnis acquire the deified nephicite (The Dawn Shard) in negotiation for the restoration of Damalsca and Ashe to the thrown.

EDIT: I love hearing and saying Bhujerba. It is an awesome word.

Well I agree with everyone about the storyline and battle system. It did start out a little slow, but once you get some good gambits and weapons/licenses, the game really starts to pick up the pace both in the plot and in gameplay.

I also love how open-ended the license board is. I'll admit, it's way, WAY more complicated than previous games' technique systems and you actually have to think over and save license points to plan a good route through it, but I can't help but smile knowing that in at least one of my save spots I'm gonna give Penelo a greatsword. The replay value is looking top notch.

This and Guitar Hero 2 are why I'm probably not going to even think about getting a next-gen system until next summer or so.
    What I've been listening to:

ive had this game since about 12:05 in the morning on october 31st and i just hit the 5 hour mark last night at one in the morning. unfortunately i havnt been able to play longer due to school and work, anyway, the story has now begun to pick up, and your now with a couple other team mates. the battle system is actually pretty cool, ive found myself being ganged up on with about 6 enemies. and you can take care of one enemy while your other people deal with their own. its also nice to not have to switch screens for every battle.