Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did you lose the first time you attempted the final battle?

Default Did you lose the first time you attempted the final battle?

In most games that I play, by the time I arrive at the final boss, I'm totally ready to kill him. Like, with Final Fantasy VI, there are plenty of side quests to do that get you well-leveled up, so by the time you've done most of the side quests, you can take the last guy, easy. Likewise with FF7 and numerous other FF games.

But with this one, it seems like everyone dies on their first shot at Zeromus. I've noticed that when I want to win comfortably, I have to spend A LOT of time just leveling up. Sure, I could probably scrape by without the intensive rigorous training, but I mean if I want to go in there and not have any doubts, it takes a LONG time.

It seems like the average gamer arrives at Zeromus with a party that would be dead after 2 Big Bangs. A lot of people also missed handy things like the Crystal Sword and the other out-of-the-way equipment.

So, who else lost to that thing on their first attempt?
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Being seven years old and not understanding the concept of 'level-grinding' or 'treasure hunting', I hit the ground after one Big Bang.

I was probably about the same age the first time I tried it. It's funny because we didn't own the game; we rented it. So then we moved away to a different city and of course, we couldn't take that copy of FF2 with us, so we lost our save file, right at the end. I didn't get a chance to buy the game until around 1997. That's kinda funny to think that, in a manner of speaking, it took me four years to beat Zeromus.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

I didn't know I was suppose to use the Crystal the first time I was facing Zeromus. :rolleyes2

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    I didn't know I was suppose to use the Crystal the first time I was facing Zeromus. :rolleyes2
    i didnt catch on after i used bahamut twice

even then, rosa and ydia died, for less than 2000 hp.

cystal sword? never heard such a think..but i have some gengi, excalibue, and other weapons you find in the final dungeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power View Post
    So far playing WoW, I've shouted "ROFLCOPTER" on no less than fifteen occasions, danced as a bear at the end of a ship, and compared the Klu Klux Klan to cereal.

Blog Entries

I don't recall exactly, but I think it was one of the easiest boss fights I've ever had to fight in FF. I'm pretty sure I made an absolute mess of Zeromus, deemed his abilities unsatisfactory, and never played the game again because it was such a poor game graphically and, definitely, storywise, despite how cool Rydia is.

Where was I? Oh. Right.

This game is a joke, and I think the only times I died were not to the final boss but to the dragons and hardcore enemies of the final dungeon.

You don't get the Excalibur in the final dungeon. You have to take a Rat Tail from the Land of Summoned Monsters to the Tail Collector who lives near Silvera. Then you have to bring the Adamant that he gives you down to Kokkol, and after a while, he turns the Legend Sword in the Excalibur.

The Crystal Sword is more powerful than the Excalibur, but is much harder to get. You have to fight a guy called "Wyvern" and he does Bahamut's Megaflare, only he does it right as the fight begins, instead of counting down from 5 like Bahamut. So if you don't have enough HP to survive a Megaflare, you aren't cut out to wield the Crystal Sword.

EDIT-

I don't recall exactly, but I think it was one of the easiest boss fights I've ever had to fight in FF. I'm pretty sure I made an absolute mess of Zeromus, deemed his abilities unsatisfactory, and never played the game again because it was such a poor game graphically and, definitely, storywise, despite how cool Rydia is.
    Well, I disagree, as did the many, many people who purchased and played the game, many times over. But you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

And it's funny that you weren't pleased with the story. Most people think that FF4 has the most adaptable story of any FF. Like, if they were to make an FF story into a feature film, most people would say that FF4 would be the best candidate, if it were possible to cram such an expansive story into a couple hours.

Unless you're being sarcastic. Which is possible, given the claim you make.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Quote Originally Posted by NINJA_Ryu View Post
    cystal sword? never heard such a think..but i have some gengi, excalibue, and other weapons you find in the final dungeon.
    The Crystal Sword (or Ragnarok) is in this area with 3 threasure chests. Go walk left and you should find 2 peninsulas that look like they were a bridge. Even though there's no floor you can still walk across it. Continue down that path and you should find the Crystal Sword (or Ragnarok) guarded by Wyvern (or Dark Bahamut).

Blog Entries

Actually, I've always found FF1 to be the most versatile and producable story for a movie.

Mostly because there's a very intense world, a solid good/evil plotline, and the characters all remain to be created and reinvented instead of acting as the fairly lame stereotypes that we see in FF2, 4, and 5.

I was playing it on an emulator the first time, so I just saved the state at the start of the battle. I lost the first time, but I won after a few tries.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy
    Being seven years old and not understanding the concept of 'level-grinding' or 'treasure hunting', I hit the ground after one Big Bang.
    More or less.

I can NEVER get myself that far! Its the forces of God or Satan or WHOEVER against me. I play and I kick ass and I am coasting, and then I lose interest. Its a conspiracy.

I bet the centipedes have something to do with this.
    PH33R teh Rainbow.

Taste the Rainbow

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

When I first fought Zeromus, I was playing the American FF"2" for SNES. I still lost to Zeromus on my first few tries. I lost to him even more when I played the Japanese Hard Type version.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Blog Entries

Dude, I really don't remember Zeromus being that hard at all.

I remember dragons or some other random encounter monsters in final dungeons being hard, but i could have sworn that the final boss was almost anticlimactic.

But maybe I'm wrong. I'm tempted to play the game again, even though it was one of my least favorite FFs. But you guys talk about it like it was something. And now I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Thieforever View Post
    But maybe I'm wrong. I'm tempted to play the game again, even though it was one of my least favorite FFs.
    How can you say that?!

What makes FFIV so much worse than the other FFs?