Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The gambits made this topic for me

Default The gambits made this topic for me

Now that the game is out and played, how do you all feel about Gambits?

I think they are an innovation in AI that needs to be copied by all games from this day forth. Take Square's own Kingdom Hearts series: Donald and Goofy are mostly retarded, but put in Gambits and you could make them geniuses yourself. Any game that uses automated characters could benefit from this intuitive system.

So, are they robbing you of control, or in fact giving you the greatest control of all? I think they give control rather than take it away. It's nice to be able tell my character to cast buffs like Haste and Protect one time and then have them do it from that point forth automatically. It takes a lot of the tedious activity away from the genre.

Or take Steal. I love to steal things, but I can't imagine clicking Steal on every enemy in this real-time game, but it's as easy as having Foe HP = 100% set with Steal...Gives me all kinds of things but doesn't make the character do nothing but Steal either. I think it's wonderful.

I... I really wish I could just pay someone to set my gambits up for me. I can't be assed. >_<

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

It all makes sense now! I'm stealing that Steal gambit...I was trying to make one, and couldn't quite figure out how I could go about doing it without just making one character steal forever and ever.

Anyways, I like gambits. If Ally: HP<30% > Cast Cura is the best gambit ever by the way.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still need to buy more Gambits before they can really become effective for me, but yeah, they are great.

Gambits are friggin awesome. I'm running out of room for them, I have so many. Steal, Cure/Cura, finish off low HP... This system rules.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

FFXI's NPCs should have Gambits <_<.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by roto13-ness View Post
    I... I really wish I could just pay someone to set my gambits up for me. I can't be assed. >_<
    Pfft you lazy man I think they're pretty easy to set up, and since you don't get all at once it doesn't seem too overwhelming to me.

I wish they had given me some gambits earlier though. I had to have Ally:Any | Esuna for a long time before I got things like
    Ally Status = Poison | Poisona, and by that time Esuna wasn't an MP heavy costing spell anymore anyway. Or *grumble* I went like 30 hours before I got Fire-weak and could stick it with a fire spell.

But still...they're genius. In fact, if FFX had Gambits I could probably program that entire game to play itself, which says a lot about RPGs in general I think.

When things get really rough here's one of my favorite Gambits:

Balthier: Foe any | Oil
    Vaan: Foe Status=Oil | Firaga
    Ashe: Foe Status=Oil | Firaga

Boy does that bring them down xD

I also bought Syphon on an airship, which steals MP from enemies, and pairing that with Foe: Character MP < 10% is sweet action.

Or Charge | Self: MP < 10% is good too.
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 11-06-2006 at 01:49 AM.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You're really having a lot of fun with this game, aren't you Lunar?

Where do you get Syphon? That's exactly what Fran needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    You're really having a lot of fun with this game, aren't you Lunar?
    But of course Experimenting with Gambit setups is always good news.

Quote Originally Posted by roto13-ness View Post
    Where do you get Syphon? That's exactly what Fran needs.
    The only place I seem to find it is by going to the Aerodrome and paying to take an airship somewhere. Choose the Leisure craft and they'll let you run around the airship on the way to your destination, and there will be two people you can buy things from. One of them sold me Syphon. I have no idea if you need to be a certain level or whatever though D:

I've tried different airships and they all seem to sell the same thing.

That spirt or ghost in the waterway (fourth mobhunt) was fairly hard (underleveled) until I just put everybody on a 'Nearest Enemy - Thunder' Gambit, and I put a '20%< HP - HiPotion' Gambit in the second slot, with the third as 20%< MP - Ether'. Even then I had to take out a dead chars and put Bashe into the party. (I'm glad I had all the spells owned licensed to each character... then again I buy the goodies and then liscense them out to characters.)
    [I]All Your Images Belong to The Overchan v2!

Webfiction | Leaving the Light. - Fanfics | Dark Distorted Mirror | Shinji and Warhammer40k | Starcrossed |

My real estate agent, old Jill
    Has excellent properties still;
    There's none of it bland,
    Still top-dollar, and
    Has vacancies I'd love to fill

I hate the Gambits system. I argue that it takes away all the control you have from the characters, and unlike many people say, it is almost necessary to use them and impossible to take off. As you said in your post Lunar, in KH, you were the smart player whilst the AI were the retards. In this game, however, once you gain effective gambits (and you set it up correctly), the game suddenly becomes the genius and the players, retards. I've heard that Gambit controlled characters can effectively take down secret bosses compared to player controlled characters. In the end, it is much more effective to play with all characters with Gambits on, instead of not. The only thing I liked about Gambits was the ability to set up a Steal gambit.
    The things I could not do yesterday, I shall not fear to attempt today, for I shall never give up on tomorrow. - Alexia Lynn Elesius (Wild ARMs Crossfire)

My current favorite setup is: Foe HP Critical = Poach

Great for getting Gil. Now if only I knew why I can't buy Fira, Blizzara, or Thundara anywhere. I would think that I'm far enough into the game for them to be available.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aerithsloveslave View Post
    My current favorite setup is: Foe HP Critical = Poach

Great for getting Gil. Now if only I knew why I can't buy Fira, Blizzara, or Thundara anywhere. I would think that I'm far enough into the game for them to be available.
    I'd like to know too. The best black magic I currently have is Aero, while the best white magic is Curaga! Where is all the black magic!?!

I like the Gambit system and it makes my character not just stand still and talk to a wall while I'm getting ass-raped by Tiamat. I usually keep the gambits off of the main character that I'm controlling most of the time so taht he doesn't go and start healing when i want him to attack. Overall though, the system is great once you figure it out.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana