Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why cant we learn to love this game?

I quited the game b/c most of my friends were leaving the game, and I pretty much finished everthing in the game. But I couldn't get the time and money to play the game same with my friends. And prices go up pretty fast on my server. (Fairy)

Overall, if this game didn't have drama and RMT I think I'd be fine I think at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    But if you are going to ask why people dislike the game, it's because it's not a casual player friendly game. Not everyone is gonna like a game like FFXI that's offers so little to casuals. The game is seriously flawed in the beginning. in terms of playability. It drives people away.
    I have never played the game, but I heard so many things about how tough it was to get started and play casually, that it drove me away from even trying. I went with WoW, and I don't regret me choice, although I would like to give FFXI a shot sometime, just to see what it is all about.

I'll agree that people are morons for critcizing the game without any real experience with it though. Many people only play for a month or don't play at all and complain about various aspects of the game that they know nothing about.

But what if you were on that bridge at the beginning of FFX fighting Sinscales and said, "Man this game sucks. The story is shallow and there's not any good magic... I'm quitting." That would be ridiculous. However, in FFXI you nearly have to play a year before you can get much story or really see the potential of things.
    I find it hard to see how someone could play a game for a month, and still not be in a position to offer a valid opinion on it. Just because someone doesn't get to see everything FFXI has to offer, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to comment on what they do see. I think most people understand that MMOs are slow in developing, and that the growth of your character is something to be appreciated, not endured. That said, you expect to see a steady progression in the game when you have put in a lot of time, and it doesn't sound like FFXI does this until you reach the upper levels.

I think I am like a lot of people who don't hate or dislike FFXI, but also don't play it because there are only so many games we can play, and FFXI just doesn't seem like a 'fun' investment of time.

You may be able to say that you found it not worth your time or that it is not the type of game you like to play.

However, I think you are overstepping your bounds to say the things most people say. They say the story sucks and the gameplay is horrible.

You REALLY can't comment on the story after playing for only a month. You don't read on the first page of a book and conclude that the story sucked.

I also think it's unfair to judge the game play fully when your highest character is level 20. Some of the battles in the game are absolutely epic, but you're not gonna fight those battles in the lowest areas of the game.

I also think it's unfair to judge the game play fully when your highest character is level 20. Some of the battles in the game are absolutely epic, but you're not gonna fight those battles in the lowest areas of the game.

My brother wants to start this game but hes a very casual player and asks me about the story all the time. Being rank 5 I cant REALLY tell him too much but im not sure he'll really be into the game either. He once thought there wasnt a story and it was just mindless xping. I had to tell him twice, cause he didnt believe me the first time, that there was a story.
    [leeza]Holy crap! This is 855.22 kb! Our limit is 50. Read the sig restrictions posted above the sig field and PM a Knight/Admin if you do not understand them.[/leeza]

Casual players will probably never see even 10% of the story. What irks me is people saying the game has no story just because they personally haven't experienced it.

Casual players won't experience the story = TRUE
    The game has no story = FALSE

Casual players will probably never see even 10% of the story. What irks me is people saying the game has no story just because they personally haven't experienced it.

Casual players won't experience the story = TRUE
    The game has no story = FALSE
    In WoW, there are storylines that players of every level can follow, so even if you are only level 20, you can still have an epic adventure in the game.

If FFXI doesn't develop its story until later in the game, then it is a vaild for people to complain about that. I would say that if you have to play a year to get into the real story, then that is a flaw in game design, not the fault of impatient players.

I dont know much but why does everyone keep comparing WoW to FFXI? The thread is why cant we love this game; not "Why does FFXI suck so much to WoW?"

state your point and leave it at that.

As for me, I dont know what people are talking about; I'm still lvl 14, barely touched any missions, and on the side; I'm broke , and I'm still having a ball.

Crafting, the thrill of battle (I know, people say its too slow; well, once you start partying, its not too slow for me), the friendly people, and the beautiful world of Vana diel. It all excites me to no end. its hard for me NOT to play 7+ hours, I have to limit myself.

I admit, this game is hard, it can be tedious,can be slow according to story wise, and sometimes boring when waiting for a party. But hey, what game has NOT had one of those four qualities? None. all of em are either too hard, too tedious, too slow, or too boring for the casual player.

Vana diel is a wonderful world because it represents what every SE fan wants; a chance to live in a Online FF world. But just like life;

if you dont work, if you dont pay, and you keep fussin like a school mom on tax free weekend; your never gonna get anywhere and enjoy it. Simple and true.

My two cents

Quote Originally Posted by Dante WolfWood View Post
    I dont know much but why does everyone keep comparing WoW to FFXI? The thread is why cant we love this game; not "Why does FFXI suck so much to WoW?"
    I'm not saying that, but if the question is Why Don't People Love FFXI, than you have to take into consideration that WoW does a lot of things FFXI doesn't. Primary of this would be that WoW rewards casuals for playing in short bites of time, while FFXI seems not to.

I would love to play FFXI, but everything I heard seems to indicate that the game is not friendly to solo or casual play, and that is what I enjoy the most. To not talk about WoW would be ignoring the elephant in the room, so that was why I brought it up as an example.

My two cents
    Here is two more :twocents:.

The WoW vs. FFXI arguement is old.

And what's that? You haven't played FFXI?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

There are actually a lot of small scale storylines a person can follow at very low levels in FFXI. Many of the quests have colorful storylines that fit in with the big picture of the game and add a little more depth.

However, most people start the game and want to grind away and be uber as fast as possible. They skip most of the mission and quest in favor of going out and leveling up quickly. I think they get frustrated because the game just doesn't allow overnight progression like that.

WoW is for people with short attention spans who want absolute instant gratification.

FFXI is a much slow paced game that takes dedication and doesn't appeal as much to casual gamers. For me personally, I feel that it offers a large amount of satisfaction at accomplishing a goal.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

not to mention the battle system is not only deep.

but pretty visually.

Because you touch yourself at night

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    Because you touch yourself at night
    was that directed at me o.o?

Before I played FFXI I played Diable 2 alot. Considering WoW was made by the same company I considered getting it but people I knew who got it said you could get to max level in a matter of a couple weeks. Then once you finish the quests theres not much more to do. I wanted something that I could play and always have comething to do no matter what/where I was. Plus since I had been a fan of Square games since 1990 I figured FFXI was the right choice, and I love this game more and more.

Only gripe I have though is the solo factor. If they could come up with a way to solo more easily then that would solve the problem of not being able to find a party every once in a while. Once you get to a certain level, its hard to go out and try to kill a tough/vt by yourself for little xp.

but besides that, this game is very fun for me.
    [leeza]Holy crap! This is 855.22 kb! Our limit is 50. Read the sig restrictions posted above the sig field and PM a Knight/Admin if you do not understand them.[/leeza]