Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Question about Jobs...

Default A Question about Jobs...

Ok, As I have seen on the website, there are a large variety of jobs. And gamespot states that at the very beginning of the game all 4 characters start out as freelancers, then you can pick which "rout" you want them all to take (red mage, white mage, black mage, warrior, theif, ect...). And as you go along the game, they can progress along their "rout", I was wondering if after you have picked all their "routes" you can change what "rout" you want them to take?
    [leeza]This is over the 50 kb filesize limit. Please read the sig restrictions posted above the sig field and PM a Knight/Admin if you do not understand them.[/leeza]

Basically, you can change your job infinitely. The only drawback is when you change your job, it takes anywhere from 2 to 8 battles to adjust to your new job. Also, if your class didn't have MP before, it won't be there for your spells when you need it.

Stats change to whatever job you pick. If you change from Black Mage to Knight, you'll lose Intellect, Wisdom and whatnot and gain Str and Agi.

This only makes sense since it'd be no fun if players had to wait for a certain job to unlock late game.

"NOTE: Numbers by statistics are multipliers of the character's current EXP
    Level. All characters at the same class and EXP level and equipment will
    have the same values for all five perameters (Strength, Agility, Vitality,
    Intellect and Wisdom) regardless of past experience."

EDIT - Oh, and your keep your job experience for that job when you change. That's why some may recommend you remain with a Monk for the whole game if you used it from the start VS switching to a Black Belt when such is unlocked. Same in terms of White Mage and Devout, Black Mage and Magus.
    Last edited by Lunadis; 11-07-2006 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I don't know why this was said, but as far as I know you can simply change to another class at any point. There's a "breaking in" period whereby your stats will be lowered until you have fought enough battles. But I don't think your limited to changing from a melee class to a spellcaster class whenever you feel like it.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Blog Entries

I can't quite tell if this was mentioned, but, though you can change your jobs to any class throughout the game, it's best to keep your classes in certain catagories.

The reason for this is that, in the beginning, you get specific classes:

Fighter: strength
    Monk: HP
    WM/BM - MP and White or Black Magic power
    Red mage: cumulative three

If, later in the game, you decide that you want your characters who were fighters to be mages and mages Fighters, the initial stat boos of changing jobs is all you'll get, and the stats will rise accordingly from there. So... If you wait until the end of the game and turn all your mages into Vikings, for example, they would be supremely underpowered, but, on the bright side, they'd be able to cast excellent spells. Except they can't. And then after levelling up a bit and turning them back into mages, their power would have increased, which is useless. You might as well call a lv. 30 character a lv. 26 character, because 4 level ups were useless.

Got it?

In the beginning, breaking the rules a little, I usually make all my characters monks for the first 5 levels if possible, just to get a HP head start.

Ok, so once I get far in the game, I shouldn't change from mage to melee or melee to mage?
    [leeza]This is over the 50 kb filesize limit. Please read the sig restrictions posted above the sig field and PM a Knight/Admin if you do not understand them.[/leeza]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by undnce View Post
    Ok, so once I get far in the game, I shouldn't change from mage to melee or melee to mage?
    Generally, and you'll see how that's obvious from the stats.

However, there will be parts of the game where you might be forced to change your characters classes in order to get through certain dungeons or fights.

Which makes sense, since it's an application of the gameplay to fit the versatility of class changing.

But, generally, yeah. That's how I'd play it out.

Ok, but another question, if I do change from melee to mage or mage to melee, when I change back to the original one, would I recieve the same stats as I had before?

Final Fantasy III isn't like that. Only job systems like Tactics made it so your stats gained were fixed and based on that level. So you were stuck with whatever you took. Melee, caster, or hybrid.

In Final Fantasy III, your stats change entirely regardless of previous levels. x_o
    So if you go half the game using a Thief to get Agi, then switch to a Magus later in the game hoping to have a super fast Magus, that won't happen. The Magus loses Agi and gains Int.

I think Martyr is thinking of other job systems. Correct me if I'm wrong. This system existed in Final Fantasy III and V, but not Tactics or the Game Boy Advance entreé.
    Last edited by Lunadis; 11-07-2006 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Clarity.

So if I (for Instance) start out as a theif, and get really high agi, then switched to a mage, than I would lose agi, yet gain the equal amount of int?

So if I (for Instance) start out as a theif, and get really high agi, then switched to a mage, than I would lose agi, yet gain the equal amount of int?
    Not exactly equal, but yes.

The Thief would go from .9 agi .444444 int per level to .6 agi and .666666 int as a Black Mage.

FFIII hasn't been released yet so we're kind of clueless.

Although in the NES Version, you can always change to any class if you have enough CP. This should still be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    Although in the NES Version, you can always change to any class if you have enough CP. This should still be the same.
    They took out the CP system. Now changing jobs just leaves you with Crystal Sickness for the mentioned 2-8 battles. This is just a stat penalty, hardly noticable at higher levels compared to earlier levels since it's a fixed penalty.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

CP was replaced with a different payment; that your stats go down for a certain number of battles like was said.

Ok, so that makes sense, when switching jobs, you keep the same stat levels (although they may be moved around) but u have a penalty that lasts for 2-8 battles?

There are a few points in the game where it's unwise to enter a dungeon with melee fighters because they won't be able to do much damage, and you'll know what I mean when you get there. At parts like that, it's a good idea to change your fighters into Mages so they can do damage against the enemies, then change them back after you're done there.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.