Thread: laguna is squalls farther?

Default laguna is squalls farther?

I have a few questions... In the F&Q in this forum, there are the following questions

Question 1:
    Who is Squall's mother?

Answer:
    Raine, sometimes called Raine Leonhart but known as Raine Loire after her marriage to Laguna. She is Squall's mother. Not anyone else.

Question 2:
    Who is Squall's father?

Answer:
    Laguna Loire. This is very strongly hinted at and evidenced in the game. The factual support for this belief is overwhelming.

where and what evidence in the game is there that suggests that this is true? I have played FF8 so many times but never have I come across anything that hints this to be true. im not saying it isnt true but I have never seen anything to convince me it is.

Yours
    ~Sez

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Squall has a deeper attachment to "Sis" than anyone else, she would be his adopted sister, even if they never lived together

Laguna has Squall's card. Zell's adopted mother has his, General Caraway has Rinoa's.

Laguna looks a WHOLE LOT like Squall. Take these for evidence:

Now, the superimposition of the CG renders is impressive, but since the ff8 character renders are pretty much very similar, it's not as impressive as the freehand character profile sketches. Besides, they are draw at almost the same angle, where the other characters are at different angles; seifer is almost a profile, selphie is almost head on, quistis is facing the other way, ward is facing upwards, zell is facing downwards, cid is looking upwards, edea faces straight off screen, irvine's is close, but his features are noticibly different, particularly his very big lips and curved nose, kiros is lookin' all coy at you, and even rinoa is looking closer to center than them. But the angle of their portraits are almost identical.
    They both have excessively long hair on their left side, especially Squall's appearance in Kingdom Hearts (which is another major clue in that laguna's his daddy)

Not only is his hair longer, but his cut off jacket is very similar to the galbadian soldier jacket laguna wore during the flashback periods

Laguna has "something to tell" squall when they finish the plot to kill ultimecia. Squall apparently won't like hearing it, and as Squall has more than once expressed disdain for laguna's personality, the fact that he has such a "Clown" for a father, would definitely be distasteful xD

Kiros and Ward remark on the Ragnarok how much Squall resembles his mother, which must be a pun, because he is a spitting image of laguna, as previously demonstrated. But clearly they know both his mother and his father. And they like to make fun of laguna, as is shown previously in the game, so their mocking of him in front of his face not twenty foot away would be characteristic.

Moombas remember people by their blood. The moombas in the Prison recognize Squall and start saying Laguna at him. They think he's Laguna because their blood is so similar.

Julia's hit song is Eyes on Me. She came up with this after meeting Laguna. Previously, she was merely a piano player, and could never think of proper words. Eyes on me is Squall and Rinoa's love song. Julia is Rinoa's mother, so it's fitting that Laguna is Squall's father. The romance of the adults carried into the second generation :]

You raise some intersting points there... Im currently playing the game through again, and have just had the flashback at rinoas bedside, at some point ellone says laguna was not around to see the birth of his new baby, or at the time of raines death.

so is this new baby squall? and also is this why squall ended up in the orphanage?

I thought it was pretty clear that Laguna was Squall father when you are in the Ragnarok both Kiros and Ward give you pointers to that, Laguna says that he wants to talk to Squall in the end of the mission, plus in his dream memory Ellone talks about Raine dying after giving birth to her newborn baby which Laguna never saw...if it ainīt Squall then i do not see who it is unless itīs another kid of the orphanage.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

It's so heavily implied it's pretty much accepted as canon.

It's similar to the way in FFVI that they imply who Relm's father is. Only one reasonable inference to be made in both cases.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, yeah, I trust alot of people would know this by now.

Never knew about the artwork thing, though. That's really interesting, rubah.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Really? It's one of the more plain to be seen ones, I thought xD

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I've never superimposed the two images together before, so...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sezra View Post
    You raise some intersting points there... Im currently playing the game through again, and have just had the flashback at rinoas bedside, at some point ellone says laguna was not around to see the birth of his new baby, or at the time of raines death.

so is this new baby squall? and also is this why squall ended up in the orphanage?
    Yeah, this is the best hint. He tells Squall that when Raine died, the village sent Ellone to the orphanage. It can be assumed the child went with her. Out of all the children, Squall had the biggest attachment to "Sis", he was "all alone" after she left.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I always thought Ultimecia was Squall's mother since they are equally obnoxious. Thanks for the clarification. I would have never be able to figure out.

on one hand, i would really have loved to see more of the laguna/squall relationship, and i thought it was weird that the "reveal" is a little exchange between squall and kiros and not a big scene.

on the other hand, i do also enjoy the fact that its a bit obscured, and that you have to see a few clues to figure it out!

Yes, Laguna is Squall’s father.