Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Do they carry it at Trader Joe's?

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, but they carry some very delicious vegan oatmeal cookies!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Screw that. Free range eggs are easy to find.

That's right... THE EGGS IN YOUR COOKIES WERE BROWN!

That always freaks BJ's out for some reason, "Mandy, the eggs are brown!?!?!!"

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

My grandparent's chickens always lay brown eggs.

Hunting for eggs is like looking for treasure. It's really fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I want chickens but the manager of my apartments wont let me build a coop over by the pool area.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Keeping chickens in an apartment complex is not very humane, Shlup.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Says who?!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    And what's ridiculous about excessive meat intake being unhealthy? Is eating yummy food more important than your health and the well-being of the animals in question?
    It's more important than my health at times, yes. I can't think of anyone who only eats for health, or who never acts in any way that's harmful to your health. For example anyone who ever drinks alcohol values something more than their health.

I would also say meat intake is more important than the well-being of animals, I suppose. I value my happiness a lot.

So I guess you're saying you think animal suffering and taking up that extra land is okay because you think meat is yummy. That's the argument I'm seeing from you. And isn't "there are worse things so I don't have to care about this" a logical fallacy of some kind? Aren't you always on about that?
    My thinking things are yummy doesn't really play into it, though it is true that I do think cows are yummy. Taking up extra land is OK because I see no reason why it's not; however assuming taking up land is not OK, there's no reason cows should be singled out as the place to make improvements. I imagine there are easier things to do that would give greater reduction in land use than eliminating cattle.

I don't think animal suffering is a good thing, so it's not really a fallacy since I'm not disagreeing. However I'm not willing to do anything about it because 1) I think the level of suffering isn't so terribly bad right now as to demand my attention, 2) I think there are better ways to spend my time, if I wanted to do some good in the world, 3) meat makes me happy. I could spend time caring for suffering human beings, if I wanted to spend time on a worthy cause; a suffering human is worth a great many suffering cows to me.

The vegetarian argument generally comes down to "hurting cows makes me sad". Either it makes you sad or it doesn't. It doesn't make me sad (well not sad enough to stop eating them), but I can easily see how it would make other people sad. There's no need to rationalize your opinion any further than that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the most part I don't disagree with you. Well, I do disagree, but I think you're entitled to value steaks and yummies over the suffering of animals and the other things wrong with factory farming, even if it sucks.

However, you seem to be ignoring a lot of arguments for reducing meat intake, a few of which I've already mentioned: the damage it's doing to the environment, freeing up the land and grain used to feed animals to feed starving people, the government subsidies poured into factory farming. Maybe you just don't see them as a problem. I don't know how much you've actually looked into how much of a problem they may or may not be, but if you choose to remain ignorant for the sake of your happiness I can't really say you're bad for that, since we all do that about things. If we cared about everything our lives would be super sad.

Not to curb meat intake, to prevent the animals from being raised in bins so that they can't move, fed hormones so that they grow so fast that their legs collapse benieth their weight, dragged to the killing for with a chain around them because they can't walk, and then hung upsidedown by and ankle so they can be stabbed in the throat to bleed to death.
    Umm, you do realise they're not killed like that, right? Not all cattle are raised like that either.

Way to overdramatise it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_bolt_gun

Note the key point : "The stunning is essential to prevent the pain and suffering of the animal while sticking (bleeding)."

Also, the argument that raising livestock means people starve due to lack of food is a complete fallacy, there's more than enough food produced each year to feed every person on the planet, it's just so much of it goes to waste because of poor distribution. People will starve regardless of whether livestock are raised or not, it's down to governments to distribute food, whatever the source.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I realize not all livestock is killed the same way. What's your point? Captive bolt guns are not always used, and often not used properly. [more info]

And I didn't say raising livestock means people starve to death. Don't twist my words.

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Eat: Free Trade, Grain Fed, Organic, Freerange.
    OR: Become a vegetarian.

But realize how F'ing privleged you are to have that freedom of choice.
    That's it really.

Eating food isn't even about survival any more.
    I think that's what bugs me most.
    It's about making these super-educated, super-moral, super civilian choices that manage to create a basis for arguement and battle of oppinions.

So on one hand there are people who believe in living as educated and moral beings which is one way of life... but I hardly believe it is more honourable or more human to live this way... than it is to blissfully enjoy the life that was given to you in all its mass produced GMO glory.
    Last edited by Chemical; 11-11-2006 at 02:11 AM.

Boldly go.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Your point, Ashley?

I realize not all livestock is killed the same way. What's your point? Captive bolt guns are not always used, and often not used properly. [more info]

And I didn't say raising livestock means people starve to death. Don't twist my words.
    I was considering making a constructive reply, but then I realised that this will just go in circles with me whipping out pro-meat eating evidence and you whipping out anti-meat eating evidence, everyone will get tired and nobody will get anywhere.

Why bother.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I give you less credit for being smart than I should, Lindy.

*goes back to her video game*