Thread: How to make a walkthrough?

Default How to make a walkthrough?

Hi guys so i recently gave the sugestion of making a FFIX walkthrough since there isnīt any one in here yet...

But the problem is that i never did one so i was wondering if we need anything thing in special to make one?

Sorry if itīs a dumb question but some help would be apreciated thanks in advance!

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Try looking at the other Walkthroughs on the frontsite, as they should give you some inspiration. They aren't the greatest things ever, but they get the job done. Really, you just need some rough boss stats, important items, and the fastest way to get them. Keep descriptions and explanations short and as simple as possible, unless required otherwise.

If you go deeper, then you can rough out the patches in game plots (not that FFIX's is really difficult), or explain some of the optional challenges and recommended items. If you get something wrong, chances are, people will catch it, so there's less pressure, compared to the ones you buy for 30 dollars at the Gamestop.

If you use other stuff as references, try to make a bioliography, and give credit where due. It doesn't matter to the fan if it's at the end, but it does show a rudimentary appreciation for the work of authors.

Since you are writing for FFIX, don't use the BradyGames Guide. Most inaccurate bile I've ever seen.

Yeah i will use my own experience as well as a reliable magazine and maybe just a reliabe walkthrought to check if i missed anything...

But when you do a normal walkthrough should you use a special program or something or do you just use Word?

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Most people use notepad, for both the file size, and ease of internet access. I doubt too many gamers are worried about font or paragraph justification; they just take what they need.

Also, avoid plot spoilers, unless necessary to note. Be vague.

Thanks a lot for the tips Tavrobel now i just have to find a way to begin

Of course, actually play the game as you write it. Don't do it from memory. That much should be obvious. :P

Sure i will be playing it along the way...i mean itīs more fun and i can check things for myself

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you plan on writing an faq for Gamefaqs or the like, make sure to compose it in Notepad, and make sure you follow thier line restrictions. You don't want to compose a 100+ page walkthrough in WordPerfect only to realize it's 1000s of characters over the margine limit when it isn't word wrapped and it isn't the correct file type.

Type it as you play. Remember, try to use proper grammar and such, and if you aren't making a spoiler-free guide, remember to say that somewhere at the beginning of the faq. But if you were making an faq for someplace like EoFF, it'd be best to make a spoiler-free faq.

Yeah i was gonna try to make on for EOFF if the big bosses accepted it after itīs done that is