Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You're not a Final Fantasy!

What old battle system? It changes from game to game.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

This is much, much more of a quintessential Final Fantasy game than FFVII, FFVIII, or FFX. In fact, I'd call it the ultimate Final Fantasy game.

without change you'd end up with the same game. it would get boring

Quote Originally Posted by Spatvark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BustaMo View Post
    I think if I'da played one more damn FF game where I had to acquire a Ifrit, Shiva, and Bahamut (respectively in that order basically), I'da went to Japan and shot Sakaguchi, personally.
    Why? It's not like he's part of S-E anymore. In fact, note that he left and THEN Ifrit, Shiva and Bahamut suddenly aren't summons. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn up in future Mistwalker games though XD
    As an article writer for FF games on RPG sites, I can't believe I just wrote that earlier...wow. Thanks for the catch and correction Spat. Akitoshi Kawazu vs. Sakaguchi; mind blank at the time.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

I think this discussion happens everytime a game in this series is released.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post
    I think this discussion happens everytime a game in this series is released.
    Yah. A lot of fans are too attached to previous titles and then they find all sort of reasons to hate the new game, ranging from the name of the spells, to the main character looking too girly, to summons and the villain not being another Kefka/Sephiroth/insert past villain here.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't really understand how you can say this doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game when all the games have been so different. Especially when your reasons for thinking it's not a FF game are because of some minor changes to certain elements of the game. They changed the name of Life to Raise? That's what makes you think this game is soooo different? They used the term Raise in FFXI so it's not like it's new to the franchise.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only valid point would be the absence of Tonberries.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Raise is the actual spell name for 'Life', it was just rarely translated properly before. >_> Ironically, in FFT, alot of the spell names actually were correct, which is funny considering how butchered the script was in that game.

Same with the suffixes. Although, I think anyone can see how the suffixes are alot more creative and spell-sounding than 'Ice 3'.

raise was also in FFT and FFT came out quite a few years ago so that it could be seen as perfectly normal to have raise instead of life. besides they are on invalice so try and remember everything you can about FFt and FFTA. those 2 broke a lot of traditions and started there own which FFXII picked up on.

i think the game is great i do miss bahamut but im over it.

this game does break a lot of traditions but if final fantasy didnt change then we'd all get bored with it because then theres not much of a difference between the games.
    lynx
    beaten final fantasy III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,mystic quest, tacitcs, tactics advanced, crystal chronicles.

you only live once but if you do it right once is enough

my FF amvs

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    The only valid point would be the absence of Tonberries.
    Sure there may not be Enemy tonberries that we are familiar with and love, but remember your first real battle with Reks in the beginning the battle on that bridge; the ship he was flying in 2 years before the game was called the Tonberry.

Not the same affect, but still, encorporated in.

As for the suffix's on spells, I find them more interesting and creative then just the numerical listings as Zeromus_X pointed out with 'Ice 3'. Bleh.

a, ga, and ja. Sweetness.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I think that this game captured the essence of Final Fantasy very well. You must remember that each title is hardly cohesive to its predecessor and its sequel.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Default A fine piece of art.

Out of the PS2 RPGs that i've played... this is one of the best i've played in a long time. It and Dragon Quest 8 hold the titles of greatness.
    How I mine for fish!?

Which FF Character Are You?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Given the changes in each individual FF game, I don't think it reasonable to say that there is any particular defining thing about it. How can you compare them? They are, honestly, stand-alone games with a few commonalities, a sometimes similar battle system, and the same name. With the exception of things like DoC and Biggs and Wedge and some enemies, each one is pretty distinct.

As an aside I was totally in love with this game when I heard the callsigns were Antlion and Tonberry.

Quote Originally Posted by roto13-ness View Post
    What old battle system? It changes from game to game.
    Why would you hook on to that, and not on the fact that Shiva's not in every game? You've officially missed the point, try again! =D