Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You're not a Final Fantasy!

Without mixing things up, Sqeenix would have had a whole lot of trouble keeping the franchise alive through 12 games... I know I'd get pretty bored playing the same game over and over. Actually, knowing that each new game will feature something new and exciting is one of the main reasons I love Final Fantasy. And yet, the games never lose that distinctive FF vibe... *feels the vibe* Oh yeah.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I think it's exciting to play each new FF, anticipating and discovering the throwbacks to past FF's hidden in the game while enjoying the new stuff. If I knew for certain that chocobos and moogles and tonberries were going to be in every game, there'd be no discovery process. I don't think that anyone can claim to say what is or is not Final Fantasy unless they've hardcore played every FF from FFI to FFXII, and for those of us that have it is plain that FFXII is a spectacular combination of everything inbetween. Moogles, Espers, Airships, Cid, Spiky Hair, Chocobos, Moogles, Magic, LimitBreaks(Quickenings), Religion, Empires, Elements, Quests, Notorious Monsters(Marks), Castles, Princesses, Knights, Thieves, Pirates, Crystals, Mist(FFCC as miasma, FFIX as Mist, etc), Gil, Backstory, Priests, Elementals, Slimes, Massive Bosses, Yetis, at least 40 reused monsters dating as far back as FFI, Zodiac, Bazaaring, Undead, Bombs, Friendship, Love, Weapon/Armor/Accessory Progression, Potions/Ethers etc, Adamantoise, Stealing, oh I could continue forever.
    A person would be blind to not see how much FFXII IS Final Fantasy. If FFXII doesn't feel Final Fantasy-ish enough to anyone, then they haven't played enough FFI-FFXI.

I dont see how its not a final fantasy. So what the battle system is changed or it has none of the old summons (i still really miss Ifrit and Bahamut though), most of the spells are the same (or related to old ones), there's plenty of references to old FFs (for christ's sake, this game is set in freaking Ivalice). It doesnt have the old battle system which i liked, but this new system works well too...and one fantastic thing about this system is that you can go into the main menu right during battle and apply LP points, and thats pretty useful.

The most awesome thing about this game though, i think, is the story. Not only is it insanely long, but its unique. Its political (but then, so was the original Tactics), its complicated (but not confusing), certainly not cliche, it has modern technological stuff in it but it still manages to keep a good fantasy feel to it.

This game is certainly a Final Fantasy, and moreso than Final Fantasies X and X-2, i'd argue.

and o almost forgot the only thing i miss really is the world maps where you can fly your airship around but i can perfectly understand why they leave it out.

but final fantasy is an everchangeing series there are no exact standards for it.
    lynx
    beaten final fantasy III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,mystic quest, tacitcs, tactics advanced, crystal chronicles.

you only live once but if you do it right once is enough

my FF amvs

I think...Final Fantasy works over a concept, not about a name or common places...FFXII keeps that original concept....all the things must change and FFXII goes on the right way....

FFXIV Character

Nibb Omniseer (Leviathan)

Doesn't feel the same to me, infact, I tend to let it sit for hours and forget its on while i'm playing FF11 - thats not normal for a hardcore gamer, infact, it proves that to me, the game is boring, and doesn't keep my attention. I think taking out the traditional battle system, they took away final fantasy, people can say whatever they want, but I saw final fantasy with the battle system, it didn't matter what changes they made to it, but making it so you run around with no random encounters, to me, was a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaotic View Post
    Doesn't feel the same to me, infact, I tend to let it sit for hours and forget its on while i'm playing FF11 - thats not normal for a hardcore gamer, infact, it proves that to me, the game is boring, and doesn't keep my attention. I think taking out the traditional battle system, they took away final fantasy, people can say whatever they want, but I saw final fantasy with the battle system, it didn't matter what changes they made to it, but making it so you run around with no random encounters, to me, was a no-no.
    Um, and FFXI is the game you're playing instead? Doesn't that kind of completely contradict everything you've just said? Or maybe I'm the only one thinking of FFXII as FFXI offline...

But still.

the lack of inns are the only things that tick me off XP everything else is fine.

One thing that's starting to annoy me greatly is that it takes so damned long to lv up. I know that in the past its supposed to get harder...but not at the freaking beginning of the game! And it seems that the only way to make money is to steal, and thats an enormous hassle. When i'm in the middle of battle i'm trying to concentrate on killing my foe and not being killed, so i kinda hate that i have to draw out the battle and be hurt more just so i can get more "loot" to sell and make money.

oh yes. gil is harder to get now. lvling up is also hard. oh my god the world is coming to an end!!!111one

get a gameshark then.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Germ Hamee View Post
    Um, and FFXI is the game you're playing instead? Doesn't that kind of completely contradict everything you've just said? Or maybe I'm the only one thinking of FFXII as FFXI offline...

But still.
    You said it yourself, one is online, the other isn't. Why would I play pretty much the same game offline, when I can play it with people? Besides I've been playing FF11 since PC Usa release.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

So you complain about no random encounters... then go play an RPG with no random encounters...

Getting rid of random encounters was a good move.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Khaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by Germ Hamee
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaotic

But still.
    You said it yourself, one is online, the other isn't. Why would I play pretty much the same game offline, when I can play it with people? Besides I've been playing FF11 since PC Usa release.
    It's fortunate that FFXII isn't actually the same as FFXI, then. Just because they have similar gameplay does not make them the same.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    So you complain about no random encounters... then go play an RPG with no random encounters...

Apparently I can't have my own opinion on video games anymore! I mean, we're on a forum called Eyes on Final Fantasy afterall, so I figured I could have my eyes on it and say what I think about it. Besides, who's complaining? I simply don't like it, nothing wrong with that. Quit hating.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post

Apparently I can't have my own opinion on video games anymore! I mean, we're on a forum called Eyes on Final Fantasy afterall, so I figured I could have my eyes on it and say what I think about it. Besides, who's complaining? I simply don't like it, nothing wrong with that. Quit hating.
    Apparently I can't have a differing opinion on video games anymore! I mean, we're in a discussion forum for FFXII after all, so I figured I could critique someone else's reasoning. "Questioning" is not "hating."

You say you don't like something for one reason, and then go play another game with that very same "flaw." I just found it interesting.