Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: You're not a Final Fantasy!

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Default You're not a Final Fantasy!

To me this Final Fantasy just doesn't feel like one to me. It's good, well really great, but it still doesn't feel like a FF to me. Here are my reasons.

1. None of the summons are the ones used in previous FFs, Shiva, Ifrit, Atomos, and Leviathan are all airships and I don't recall seeing Bahamut in any form.

2. Where's Biggs and Wedge? I always loved this comedial duo, the lack of them is is sad.

3. Spells. Some of the spells from other FFs have changed like Life is now Raise and there seems to be a lot of unnecessary ga's.

4. Cactuars. I might not just be far enough in the game, but I haven't seen a single Catuar yet and Cactite doesn't cut for it for me. I hope that they will have Tonberries

5. The story stands out a lot compared to all the other FFs. I'm not complaing though i like it.

This wasn't really a list of complaints except for reasons 1 and 2. I just don't think it really feels like an FF to me, although Balthier reminds me of Wakka and Zell.

Yellow Winged Angel

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I feel ya. I like the game as well, but without the old battle system and all the past times (Wedge, Biggs, tonberries, etc.) it isn't the same.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

ya, i agree. it doesnt feel the same. and whats with the Nu-Mou's? they look TOTALLY different then in the FFTA game....
    Too big.

1. Bahamut is an Airship, at least they're all refered to. There was no Summons in Final Fantasy I & II.

2. Biggs and Wedge weren't in Final Fantasy I through V and IX. In XII there are two soldiers named Gibbs and Deweg. Deweg is an anagram for Wedge, and for Biggs, they swaped 'B' with 'G'. They bicker like Biggs and Wedge from Final Fantasy VIII.

3. 'Ga', 'Aga', and 'Ja' have been around from Final Fantasy VIII - XI, and Raise was a term various old school Final Fantasies.

4. Cactuars started with Final Fantasy VI.

Final Fantasy is all about change (with various references to previous Final Fantasies), and I'm sure all those Final Fantasies mentioned above felt like Final Fantasy... The definition of Final Fantasy is different for everybody though. Final Fantasy needs change, if they continued to have the same material in every Final Fantasy, then it would be no better than Dragon Quest. Don't get me wrong though, I love Dragon Quest also. I'm glad they changed a few things up that they have been repeating a lot lately, it gives them something else to refer to in the future.

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

speaking of Dragon Quest, where did it come fro, I never heard of it until VIII, so what happened to all the other 7?

As for Ja, I don't ever recall Ja being in VIII, IX, or X.
    Vanishga and Esunaga just sound plain stupid.

Yellow Winged Angel

Oh, Dragon Quest has been around since before Final Fantasy. I think the first one came out in 1986. Anyways, you can find the old school DQ games now on Game Boy Color, and DQVII was released for Playstation. Most of them were released on the NES/SNES though.

Gravija was used in FFVIII and/or FFX I believe. They also used 'Ja' for Final Fantasy Tactics.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Schovitz' View Post
    speaking of Dragon Quest, where did it come fro, I never heard of it until VIII, so what happened to all the other 7?

As for Ja, I don't ever recall Ja being in VIII, IX, or X.
    Vanishga and Esunaga just sound plain stupid.
    They where in X international.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichimonji View Post
    Final Fantasy is all about change (with various references to previous Final Fantasies), and I'm sure all those Final Fantasies mentioned above felt like Final Fantasy... The definition of Final Fantasy is different for everybody though. Final Fantasy needs change, if they continued to have the same material in every Final Fantasy, then it would be no better than Dragon Quest. Don't get me wrong though, I love Dragon Quest also. I'm glad they changed a few things up that they have been repeating a lot lately, it gives them something else to refer to in the future.
    Thank you, for that whole paragraph.

I've played almost all of the Final Fantasy games to date and this one DOES feel like a Final Fantasy. Castle's, dragons, leagendary weapons, re-occuring bosses (the Judges), tons of side-quests (more than any other FF to date), Mega Bosses, etc.

I think if I'da played one more damn FF game where I had to acquire a Ifrit, Shiva, and Bahamut (respectively in that order basically), I'da went to Japan and shot Sakaguchi, personally. It gets oldddddd. So many people complain that Square-Enix is losing its touch because they aren't original wioth FF's anymore, then they go any try something different with the battle system and Espers, and no one can ever be pleased.

Freak'n damn, I don't want to play the same damn boring game with only a different story, for every Final Fantasy game released. Keep these new ideas rolling SE! I Love 'em! Quite relying on past glories and start exciting us with new and pleasantly surprising features!
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

How can this not feel like a Final Fantasy?

1. None of the summons are the ones used in previous FFs, Shiva, Ifrit, Atomos, and Leviathan are all airships and I don't recall seeing Bahamut in any form.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1..._X/kthxbai.jpg, the (SPOILER)final dungeon is Sky Fortress Bahamut.

3. Spells. Some of the spells from other FFs have changed like Life is now Raise and there seems to be a lot of unnecessary ga's.
    I'm thankful that the spells are properly translated this time.

Anyway, Ichimonji is correct. This game is very unique in that it has about ten times more the nostalgic qualities of Final Fantasy IX, has some old-school attributes, and yet has the most revolutionary system of combat of all the Final Fantasies. Final Fantasy is a constantly changing series, but there are some things that will always stay.

I think it feels more like a Final Fantasy Tactics than a Final Fantasy. :P

It feels like an FF game to me, despite the radical changes SE has made.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I've been getting the final fatnasy vibe the whole way thorugh.

Super-Rad Recognized Member Spatvark's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Schovitz' View Post
    1. None of the summons are the ones used in previous FFs
    That irks me, it really does. Why does it matter that they tried something different? And even then, they aren't that original;
    most of the summons are actually from previous games:
    • Chaos - FF1
    • Mateus - FF2 (Emperor)
    • Famfrit - FF3 (Dark Cloud)
    • Zeromus - FF4
    • Exodus - FF5 (Ex-Death)
    • Ultima - FFT (Altima)
    • Zodiack - FFT (Zodiac)
    • Adrammelech - FFT:A

Which leaves Belias, Shemhazai, Hashmal, Cuchulainn and Zalera.

Quote Originally Posted by BustaMo View Post
    I think if I'da played one more damn FF game where I had to acquire a Ifrit, Shiva, and Bahamut (respectively in that order basically), I'da went to Japan and shot Sakaguchi, personally.
    Why? It's not like he's part of S-E anymore. In fact, note that he left and THEN Ifrit, Shiva and Bahamut suddenly aren't summons. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn up in future Mistwalker games though XD

Quote Originally Posted by roto13-ness View Post
    I think it feels more like a Final Fantasy Tactics than a Final Fantasy. :P
    Well, Matsuno, the first director for the game did also direct FFT, FFT:A and VS, which account for a hell of a lot of what makes FF12 so different from the previous games in the series. Which is also why it's such a tragedy he left S-E.
    Seriously the best band in the world.
    And here's where I'll stay / For ten years and a day
    We're on a quest to find hidden treasure / And mystery on The Wild Sea

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spatvark
    Which leaves Belias, Shemhazai, Hashmal, Cuchulainn and Zalera.
    Those are all Lucavi from Final Fantasy Tactics, albeit, with different names in that game of course.

Belias= Velius
    Shemhazai= Shumihaza (I think this was a Lucavi. I'm not entirely sure.)
    Hashmal= Hashmalum
    Cuchulainn= Queklain
    Zalera= Zahlera.

And yes, final bosses as summons is possibly the best thing they've ever done.

I think it's funny, because all of the things fanboys/girls are whining about not being in this game are the least appealing points of the series for me. What, were you only looking forward to it so that you could summon Shiva again? Was the old battle system really so amazing that you'd want to use it in every game thereafter?

How about, you know, just playing the old ones over again? Personally, I don't see the point in spending my money on a new, prettier version of an old game every few years.

What is this much talked about but yet to be defined "feel" of Final Fantasy, anyway? Is it really just the cameos? I don't get it. What's the fuss? As long as the story's good, I see no reason to complain. It's silly to put that much in a title.