Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Voice Cast.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Fran's voice is amazing. She sounds like Bjork, yes, but that in itself is a feat to be had by few. And I listen to Bjork, so I may be biased...

To be honest, I was expecting a deep, silken, sexy voice for Fran, but to hear one much lighter, heavy with this interesting accent, it pulled me in. It makes her sound like a different race, which she is, obviously. If she simply sounded like another hume, it wouldn't be much of a care.

And Baltheir's voice... My god, his voice is superb! Everything about him exudes elegance tied with a rough, blunt edge, and his voice simply adds to it. From the witty remarks to the kurt replies, it's wondrous.

Penelo doesn't sound annoying, ecstatic overs nothing, I'm on crack and thus I am somewhat annoying *cough Rikku cough*... She shares certain attributes, but her voice and character fit her well.

I could go on and on, but the fact of the matter remains that I believe this Final Fantasy to have the best voice acting yet.

My only complaint lies with Vaan since he sounds like he is plagued with a perpetual cold virus.

Oh, and what of this, uh, Mark-qweese and Mark-qwis? Is this pronounciation of marquis driving anyone else mad?

Quote Originally Posted by Nominus Experse View Post
    Oh, and what of this, uh, Mark-qweese and Mark-qwis? Is this pronounciation of marquis driving anyone else mad?
    That was bothering me too I kept thinking "It's Mar-kee, what's all this snooty going on."

But then I went to dictionary.com just to be sure and it said:

Quote Originally Posted by The Dictionary
    Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mahr-kwis, mahr-kee; Fr. mar-kee]
    Mahr-kwis is actually listed before mahr-kee . So I guess either is groovy. I'm still pronouncing Quistis Kee-stis, and no Webster will stop me.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

How you pronounce "qu" depends on the word. "Queen" is "qween," whereas I have always pronounced "marquis" as "mar-kee." "Kee-stis" is just dumb.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nominus Experse View Post
    That was bothering me too I kept thinking "It's Mar-kee, what's all this snooty going on."

But then I went to dictionary.com just to be sure and it said:

Quote Originally Posted by The Dictionary
    Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mahr-kwis, mahr-kee; Fr. mar-kee]
    Mahr-kwis is actually listed before mahr-kee . So I guess either is groovy. I'm still pronouncing Quistis Kee-stis, and no Webster will stop me.
    I looked it up when I first heard it said just to be sure. Sure enough, the same exact thing you show there.

I believe one is the English method of speaking it and the other is the native French way. I've always heard it said in the French intonation, and so suddenly hearing it said differently, even though it's apparently correct, bothers me.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    "Kee-stis" is just dumb.
    Too bad it's correct, then.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

キスティス?

Yeah, I was wondering about that Marquis thing too. xD I figured it was just the English way of saying it.

I'm growing on Fran's voice now. Maybe it was because she hardly ever talked before, but now she's been talking alot more.

I really like Al-Cid's voice. Too bad he has that whole 'THis iS wHAT i SounD likE' focus issue many of the voices earlier in the game had.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Everytime I heard "Marquis" and "fęte" I cringed. I am used to hearing them in French, not butchered by English (no offense, I just prefer people saying French words in French, not trying to pronounce them as you would in English.)

Anyways, I loved Fran's voice. For me, it was perfect. I really do not have any complaints about the voice acting, though I do not care for Ashe's much. It just does not rub me the right way.

I really love Fran's voice, it is very distinct and not what I was expecting at all. I don't really thing there is much consistancy among the Viera, though, some of them sounded Russian to me. I actually don't have a huge problem with any of the voices, but I would like to hear them more, it seems like Balthier and Ashe get most of the speaking parts.

At first Fran's voice was like "Whoa!", but it's grown on me throughout the game now. I think it starts to all sinks in when you get to Euryt Village though...I found that sequence pretty interesting.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

"Marquis", "Fete", and "Balthier" all kinda made me go "what?"
    But I got over it. French is such a fun language to mangle.... (no disrespect towards Frenchmen intended... actually love the language, want to learn it sometime, but seriously, a silent x?!?!)

The voice acting is all fantastic... I even like Vaan's voice, as I think it suits his character...
    My favorite voice performances are those for Fran and Balthier (who also happen to be my favorite characters overall.)

I love Fran's voice !

Who is Ondore's voice actor? His accent sounds like Irish.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tom Kane, it seems.

His voice was funky too. ><;

I don't find Ondore's voice that terrible. I think it fits his character well.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't say it was bad, I said I thought it was funky. ;_;