Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice Cast.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Voice Cast.

When deciding on the quality of voice acting in video games, I keep two major things in mind: how well a voice suits a character, and how much emotion the actor can convey (how well they can act). I have mixed feelings about the voice acting in FFXII. I'll start off going from character to character, in order of my favorites.

Like:

Balthier: His voice is absolutely perfect. It fits his character well, with a fitting wit and charm. His often funny lines are delivered well, considering his voice actor English actor and comedian Gideon Emery.

Ashe: In my opinion, her voice is superb. Voiced by Kari Wahlgren, whose other notable roles include Raine Sage from Tales of Symphonia, Haruharu Haruko in FLCL, Fuu in Samurai Champloo, and Mirage Koas in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

Her voice is fitting of such a strong-willed (or to some, stuck-up...) character, and she can convey emotion very well. And she has to convey emotion quite often, considering her distaste for the empire, and being an emotional character in general.

Vayne: I may be a bit biased, as I really like Vayne's personality, but I believe his voice fits him very well. He displayed great emotion when he delivered his speech in Rabanastre near the beginning of the game, unfortunately, as far as I am in the game currently the story hasn't focused on him in-person yet. I may have a different opinion later.

Migelo: Heh, I really like his voice. It just makes me laugh every time I hear it. xDHis voice is very fitting of the bangaa merchant, delivered by John DiMaggio. He also plays a secret boss, (SPOILER)Gilgamesh, who also delivers some funny lines. Other notable roles include Bender in Futurama, and Kimahri and Wakka in Final Fantasy X.

Basch: I really like his voice alot too. It might sound stereotypical for a loyal knight-type of character, but he is incredibly emotional and delivers his lines with precision. Voiced by Keith Ferguson.

Dislike:

Vaan: I utterly detest his voice. His voice is annoying (though not in the lightheartedly naive way James Arnold Taylor played Tidus). He sounds like some spoiled teenage mallrat with a cold that debilitates his ability to talk with any emotion whatsoever. Not very fitting of one of the more important characters in the story. Voiced by Bobby Edner.

Fran: I don't really dislike her voice, but it just seems really, really wierd. The best way to frankly describe her voice would be to say
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriel and others
    Fran sounds like Bjork.
    . It doesn't seem so wierd any more now that I've (SPOILER) heard more Viera talk with a similar accent, but it just doesn't seem suitable for the role. This may be because her voice actor Nicole Fantl is unaccustomed to voice acting, playing roles in movies before, or maybe it's just me.

Well, that's my one long-winded thread of the month. Share your opinions on the voice acting for Final Fantasy XII here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Vaan: I utterly detest his voice. His voice is annoying (though not in the lightheartedly naive way James Arnold Taylor played Tidus). He sounds like some spoiled teenage mallrat with a cold that debilitates his ability to talk with any emotion whatsoever. Not very fitting of one of the more important characters in the story. Voiced by Bobby Edner.
    Yeah I agree, and that's because Bobby Edner is actually a kid in real life, it's what he really sounds like, unlike James Arnold Taylor who is a professional and experienced voice actor. Although it's not too bad.

Also, Phil LaMarr does Reddas' voice in this game. This I was pleased to hear about, as he is an excellent voice actor. He's done such roles as Vamp from MGS2 (<3), and Hermes Conrad from Futurama. He's was also pretty funny on Mad TV.

There are also some notable voice actors from Final Fanasy X who make an appearance. David Rasner who did Brother from FFX comes back to do Al-Cid in FFXII, whom plays a character with a crazy accent, just like Brother. Julia Fletcher who did Yunalesca and Elma returns to do Judge Drace. Dwight Schultz who did O'aka and Maechen voices Old Dalan and the Gran Kiltias Anastasis... I knew I sensed Maechen in the Anastasis. Lastly, Roger L. Jackson who did Wen Kinoc returns voicing Emperor Gramis.

I despise Vaan and his voice. I really like Fran's voice, though. It's so strange, but that's ok because Fran is a strange character.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Vaan's and the Marquis's voices irritate me. Vaan's moreso. Fran's isn't really bothersome... just weird.

I agree that Balthier and Basch have great voices.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Aside from Fran, Cid and Reddas have the best voice acting in the game. Which makes sense, because they're respectively voiced by John Lee and Phil La Marr, who are prettymuch the two most talented voice actors ever.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Love: Fran

Everyone else is alright. There's no voice that I actually detest which is a huuuuuuge step up from FFX!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I really enjoyed the voice acting for Fran.

This game had a very nice localization. I think that, with the quality of this translation, we can start putting behind poor localization and translations behind us. I did not see any strange, cultural anachronisms, inconsistencies, or poor English in the script.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

That's because Alexander O. Smith put the same effort and elegant spin into this game's localization as he did into that of Vagrant Story. He is a wonderful man.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fran's voice is probably my favorite of any other Final Fantasy. It's so mystical and interesting. I love it. Every other voice is pretty much great, though Vaan's can irritate me at times. But Fran is the big stand out.

I think the voice acting in FFXII is the best of any Final Fantasy.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I love Fran and Balthier's voices, and Penelo's is pretty rad too (I heard Tara Strong was doing it, but I guess this was just a rumor). Larsa's actor fits him very well, too.

I don't have a problem with anyone else's voice, they all fit, Vaan's included.

My favourite voices would probably be Fran's, Larsa's, and Judge Drace's.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

The only ones i really dislike are Vaan and Al-Cid's voices. Vaan due to reasons already mentioned, and Al-Cid..well, maybe it's because i played the Japanese version, but i find his voice really unfitting for the character

I actually love all the voice actors. I'm a huge Kari fan, so Ashe is probably my favorite, even though I think Gideon Emery did a particularly phenomenal job.

I like Vaan's voice. I think it suits the character rather well. At this point, I can't really imagine anything else for him. The ends of his sentences all drop off into this nails on a chalkboard effect, but I guess I just got used to it and grew to like it.

I also quite loved Fran. I know I could never manage that crazy ass accent she's pulling off.

Outside of the main cast, I thought they were all pretty perfect. Go Phill La Marr.

Fran sounds like KOS-MOS to me. Vanns voice is fitting, but annonion.
    I HATE Lamonts voice. I hope he died when (SPOILER)The levitialn imploded
    I LIVE!!!!! AGAIN!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    That's because Alexander O. Smith put the same effort and elegant spin into this game's localization as he did into that of Vagrant Story. He is a wonderful man.
    I hadn't heard of Alexander O. Smith before this game was released, but, like you said, he is behind a lot of localizations as of late. I like the style that this man is trying to propose and I want his vision to be the true path to localization.

Some people wish for a complete translation, but we are not Japanese and many cultural references or jokes would go completely over our head. Creating a new line in the spirit of the original would be much better than saying something like, "Milk? I thought you said baseball bat."
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Formerly NewBlackMage Fate Fatale's Avatar

Anyone with a british accent is my favourite. Ahh.. Larsa, Bash, Balthier, and other character that I can't remember right now... ahh.. they are heaven to me.

"Everything has a purpose. It's your life's mission to find yours."