Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: could this be the best final fantasy?

Your all lucky b*stards. By the time it gets its release here (uk) you'll all be playing FFXIII.

I love this ff! Its fun, additcting an you can do so much crap in it. You can do mob hunts if you get bored of the game, there are so many dang weapons you can get an use. An the quikenings are awsome, an i love how they did the chaining thing!
    im to cool for sigs.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I'm somewhat less enthusiastic.

I would say it is a great game when rated on an absolute basis, but rated up against the Final Fantasy name (no MQ jokes), I would say it comes in lacking.

I just bought this game last night and I haven't put it down. I've played it for 6 hours straight and you better believe there's more to come. This game is amazing. I'm extremely surprised by the voice acting and the story. The graphics I don't really care about because - I mean - look at Final Fantasy I-VI. Great games. 16-bit, 32-bit graphics. The music I really like because it reminds me of movie scores, and while it's no Uematsu score, this score is very good.

"People die, Yuna dances. When will Yuna stop dancing?" - Tidus, Final Fantasy X

Its up there, but not surpassing VII or VI in my eyes. Definately third though.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It doesn't hold a candle to FFX but it is quite good, better than X2.

Music - Worse than X
    Story - Worse than X
    Game start - Slow, while X exceeds at it. I couldn't put the joystick down until Tidus got to Besaid. XII is like all regular games: drags on at the beginning
    Game play - Better than X, battle system more slick, controls streamlined, gambits make leveling up fun... I just miss all the fun in-battle banter X had like Auron saying "This is how it's done". XII has just grunts and whimpers. Yuck!
    Flow of missions / story - X is much better, unexpected but fun. XII is a bit weird and off putting. Hunting for a rogue tomato is one of your first missions. WTF ? Leave the cuteness to moogles!
    Graphics - Better than X and that is saying something!!!
    Overdrives / Special attacks - XII has some very cool "quickenings" up to par or better than X but the Special dresphere attacks at X2 were better IMHO.
    Espers / Summons - Haven't got one yet
    World - XII's world is huge!!! It wins over X in vastness, variety and graphics, though I do wish XII had some temples and hyms
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

This is by far not the best FF.... music is weak and the story is extremely weak... i don't know how anyone can find the music in this game attractive..

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by skillzboy4 View Post
    This is by far not the best FF.... music is weak and the story is extremely weak... i don't know how anyone can find the music in this game attractive..
    It's "ambient music", semi classical easy listening schlepp of the kind they put on call waiting phone mazes Not annoying like FFX2's technopop but too bland to be of note. Definitely NOT a Nobuo Uematsu piece

I put a smal 1 min video of some of the Quickenings to the background of a Uematsu piece at Youtube and it got much improved!!!

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    Music - Worse than X
    Story - Worse than X
    Flow of missions / story - X is much better, unexpected but fun. XII is a bit weird and off putting.
    I like how you think you can make sweeping judgments like these when you're still so early in the game that you haven't even gotten an Esper yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Music - Worse than X
    Story - Worse than X
    Flow of missions / story - X is much better, unexpected but fun. XII is a bit weird and off putting.
    I like how you think you can make sweeping judgments like these when you're still so early in the game that you haven't even gotten an Esper yet.
    Thank you.

I don't think you can compare this to X anyway. They are completely different beasts. There are things X does that XII doesn't, and things XII does that X doesn't. Before you sit down to play XII, you really need to expel all comparisons to X from your mind completely, because it ain't the same ballpark kids. If you're constantly thinking "X did this, X has this, X that" then you're not gonna like it. XII is different on purpose, you should love it because it's different from X

I know that sounds hypocritical because I have made semi-comparison statements around before, but really I was only saying that I personally like X better, not that X is better. I like them both, I just happen to like what X did more is all.

This pointless rant was only 2 paragraphs, that's not too shabby.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Music - Worse than X
    Story - Worse than X
    Well but that is just it, FFX got me hooked on the first 5 minutes, with that blitzbal game, heavy metal song, a huge fiend attacking. And it only got better from then on, with Tidus sent "1,000 years on the future" and the weird world / society he found himself on.

XII drags on and I have yet to find one memorable song. Even the opening song is fluff, more annoying than good.

The initial missions are pretty dumb too, capture a rogue tomato and a cactus with a flower on his head ? Walk around telling everyone you are someone else ? Compare this with saving a summoner on X or winning a championship of a sport as cool as blitzball. There is just absolutely no comparison!

The game did get more fun after I got a party, the quickenings and some less dumb missions so I'll wait and see. But I fear this game will be like X2, i.e., some cool gameplay, battles and graphics lost on a weak story and lame missions. But at least XII does not have the annoying technopop playing!

I do love the world they created and the graphics. Gambits are fun. Battles are fun too. License board is as cool as sphere grids or better.
    But the game clearly lacks something. It won't be the best ever, not by a long shot.

PS: The X team is reunited doing XIII so we may have another great game from SE yet!

Honestly? The best FF game ever? Damn close. Best FF game in recent memory? Most definitely. The story well executed, even if you people think it's not immersive enough. It makes a lot more sense to me than FFX's did. While I love Uematsu, Sakimoto has put together a score that is gorgeous in its' own right.

Personally, I found FFX very lacking overall. Yes, it was a fun game, but it felt so fluff compared to this, or the days of old.

This game gives us an even array of characters, and so far, I really haven't found any of them annoying (Though the whole Larsa thing STILL confuses me... boy/girl. ugh). Quickenings are something I really missed (ok, so didn't miss, but giant limit-y type things, YAY!).

It does change the flavor and formula of FF, but that's not a bad thing. Innovation is great. They could have stuck with a tried and true formula, but kudos for breaking the mold. It really is refreshing. You can even take XIII back to the old style now if you'd like. It's just nice to finally get something different.

In any case, I'm only 25 hours into the game (Salikawood), so I'll have to hold off full judgement until I'm done, but this is a gem of a game!
    Last edited by Clouded Sky; 11-24-2006 at 07:41 AM.

Well but that is just it, FFX got me hooked on the first 5 minutes, with that blitzbal game, heavy metal song, a huge fiend attacking. And it only got better from then on, with Tidus sent "1,000 years on the future" and the weird world / society he found himself on.
    Really, the beginning of FFX sucked the most, IMO. Everyone is hooked on their first Final Fantasy, because they never know what Final Fantasy is.

XII drags on and I have yet to find one memorable song. Even the opening song is fluff, more annoying than good.
    The opening song was taken from FFI, FFIV, FFVII and FFVIII. It's one of Final Fantasy tradition. I dunno why you hate the opening song, though, I like it so much that I listen to it everytime I play FFXII.

The initial missions are pretty dumb too, capture a rogue tomato and a cactus with a flower on his head ? Walk around telling everyone you are someone else ? Compare this with saving a summoner on X or winning a championship of a sport as cool as blitzball. There is just absolutely no comparison!
    That tomato is a monster, you face a stupid leech-like thingy in the beginning of FFX. That is far worse than the tomato. That tomato is a hunt, which introduces you to a sidequest, the main point of this game is to save a kingdom. Saving a kingdom > Saving a summoner. Blitzball sucked, just like eestlinc said, that rubbish mini-game in FFI is better. And Blitzball is another important sidequest in the game, don't compare it to "I'm Captain Basch" mini-game. Compare it to the Mob Hunt.

The Late Owen Macwere Production.