Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: could this be the best final fantasy?

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet View Post
    Battle system is fun and open. You'll be doing a lot of hack and slash and little magic casting (besides white magic). By the time you get the strongest spells, they do almost the same DPS (damage per second) as quite simply just having auto attack on the monster. The damage ratio between spells vs. melee is pretty awful. Spells should have been stronger.
    Scathe.

Espers have little to no backstory. The first summon you get has some story, but the rest are just there. You get them through the storyline. Half of them are optional with no story. They appear, you fight them. The end. The only "story" you get is from the game's beast log which tells some info on them that you don't get in the game otherwise.
    FFVII Summon Materia have no story at all. Even don't have some log to tell their story.

The Late Owen Macwere Production.

FFVII Summon Materia have no story at all. Even don't have some log to tell their story.
    I never said FF7 had a good story either, now did I?
    "In the garden sleeps a messenger."
    Arrode (retired): RDM75/BRD70/WHM65/NIN37/BLM37

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I have a love/hate relationship with this game right now...
    .... At the end of FF12 (without much work at all) all my characters were clones of each other differing in only a few STR points or MGK points here or there....

...FF12 has some oddly long load times. Between using Quickenings and changing zones, there's this slightly longer than should be lag fest.
    Yes!!! I thought it was only me being impatient but those ARE long load times!

Love / hate - Ditto, the game is very uneven. For example, graphics kick butt but music is... unmemorable, insipid. I will not catch myself humming it like I do with Sutekidane, Hymn of the Fayth and other FF themes. World design is very cool, but story plot is weak. Battle system is great but Espers are lame and License Board is pretty cool but in the end a disappointment as it makes all my guys clones of each other.

FFXII has some pioneering stuff, like gambits, clan ranks and license board, that will be remembered forever, but also is very weak on some other areas.

Fitting that it is the last for PS2, a harbinger of good things to come for PS3, when they iron out the kinks
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

I never said FF7 had a good story either, now did I?
    Some RPG make the summon very important to the story, while some make it not-important-at-all (Other than the use in battle). Some of them have its story to not touch the summon part.

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri
    License Board is pretty cool but in the end a disappointment as it makes all my guys clones of each other.
    Sphere Grid is the same. All of your party member end up the same.

O Captain! My Captain! Spawn of Sephiroth's Avatar

It is good, but I wouldn't say the best ever. I believe that people think it could be good, because it isn't very difficult, and its Licence system and equippings are fairly easy, much like Final Fantasy VII where you just equipped the materia like a weapon, and it was simple and not a difficult game. That is why people like it so much. But it is one of my personal favorites, but I wouldn't call it the best Final Fantasy.....yet.

Loki: I have an army.
    Stark: We have a HULK!

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    License Board is pretty cool but in the end a disappointment as it makes all my guys clones of each other.
    Not in the middle of the game!!

For the fanatics that get all items to 99, learn all skills, get all celestial weapons yes, but LB is so easy (and small) that anyone, even a casual gamer like me can fill it out entirely without even trying.

If it was like 3X the current size then it would be like the Sphere grid, i.e., hard to fill it up on a "regular" game.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Just finished it last night, and I can definately say it's my favorite FF game. It's a lot more subtle and mature in terms of plot and characters, and that's what made it so great to me. Blows FFX out of the water at any rate.

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Nope, it's by far not anywhere close to being the best. Graphics have gone down a level, the story seems to be choppy and unbalanced to how much you're exposed to it. It lacks fun mini games. The fighting is great, but sometimes too difficult for me. The voice acting seems much stranger in this one to me, as most of the time it doesn't match the characters' mouthing as with X most of the time it did. I suppose it's all because it wasn't made by the same people who did all the other XI. Nobuo, Hinorobi, and Amano are the best!
    The characters lack diversity as well with License bored being the problem with it, the Sphere grid definetly changed that in X Tidus was speedy, strong, and was in charge of increasing the party's turns, and decreasing the enemy's. LuLu was evasive and had high magic attack and resistance, while Wakka was profficient in taking down aerials and causing status ailments. I know you could practically make anyone have any abilities, but you can't do that from start, when teleport stones, and key spheres are scarce, most people will go with the default path anyway.

Yellow Winged Angel

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Schovitz View Post
    Nope, it's by far not anywhere close to being the best. Graphics have gone down a level, the story seems to be choppy and unbalanced to how much you're exposed to it. It lacks fun mini games. The fighting is great, but sometimes too difficult for me. The voice acting seems much stranger in this one to me, as most of the time it doesn't match the characters' mouthing as with X most of the time it did. I suppose it's all because it wasn't made by the same people who did all the other XI. Nobuo, Hinorobi, and Amano are the best!
    You mean Hironobu. And none of those guys had more than an extremely tenuous connection to FFX.

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Not in the middle of the game!!

For the fanatics that get all items to 99, learn all skills, get all celestial weapons yes, but LB is so easy (and small) that anyone, even a casual gamer like me can fill it out entirely without even trying.

If it was like 3X the current size then it would be like the Sphere grid, i.e., hard to fill it up on a "regular" game.
    Then, can I say the same thing? License Board does not make your character a clone in the middle of the game!!

Before you say it's so easy, let me ask you something, have you completed your LB yet?

Sphere Grid only require 1 AP to activate one node, License Board require 5-235 LP to activate one node. And there are people who didn't finished his/her license board in "regular" game, even some hard-training player like me didn't finished my license board on my hard-training playthrough.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I have finished my LB and I still don't think it's a good game. The story didn't do it for me. Hell, the story was just lacking anyway. This game is not good, just another disappointment from Square-Enix.

Thanks a lot you Dragon Warrior, Monster, etc. people. You ruined Final Fantasy.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

I think it is the best. I didn't think it would be but I really like the new battle system.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

It tis the best. License board might be fairly straight forward but you have to grind forever to fill the thing out all the way. I am not a huge fan of it but I do think it is a massive improvement over the sphere grid. The sphere grid is a retarded way of gaining one level. Instead of having to get 2000 exp for a level all you need is 200 exp for one part of what would constitute a level. That really pissed me off and I am glad that levels are back and now I can choose who learns what. I don't have to have everyone learn everything.

FFXIII will also suck due to the people involved.

It's not even in the top 5, but there are some good ideas here that I hope get carried over and expanded upon in FFXIII (like the battle system and the LB).

It'sinteresting to see the bits and pieces some like and others dont'

Personally XII, bad story, loved the gameplay, wasn't huge on the LB, would prefer jobs or classes or something, and I think XIII will be the greatest ever, if they keep certain aspects of X, and XII
    Searching For everything already there For every thought already known For everything that ever was, is, and will be Struggling Oh how we struggle And the more we avoid it The greater the struggle becomes Until we realize That struggle is a blessing Progressing Changing Evolving Growing From a seed to a tree From a child to a (wo)man From a (wo)man to a spirit To a god fulfilling his plan Purpose No words can describe the unmeaning No beginning No end Just always now Marvelling at the miracleAnd all of a sudden It all seemed to make sense somehow Searching For everything already there For every thought already known For everything that ever was, is, and will be