Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF XI on PS3?

Default FF XI on PS3?

I've always assumed that the PS2 version FF XI wouldn’t be playable on Sony's new system, since the game comes loaded on a hard drive specifically designed for the PS2.

Then I read this article . It leads me to believe that FFXI was supposed to be playable on the PS3, but isnt yet, pending a future download/update.

So here's the question: How the hell would you get the PS2 version FF XI on the PS3? Load the data from the discs bundled with the PS2 hard drive on to the PS3 hard drive? And if so, why would there be any "compatibility" problems, like the one listed in the article above?

As expected, the official PS3 and FF XI sites were completely unhelpful.

Any here know the answer? Or could at least point me in the right direction to get the answer?

Because nothing beats the sound of a million voices screaming in unison.

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

I dont think anyones completely sure considering its not long released. Give it time.
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

Well, I dropped by the official PS3 site just now, and beginning with firmware upgrade 1.31, the PS2 version of FFXI is now playable on the Playstation 3.

Which brings me back to my previous question:

How does one get the PS2 version FF XI on the PS3?

As I plan on buying the PS3 the second after the price drops on the 60gb model (there are limits to my fanboy-ism) I'd kind of like to know.

Anyone here know the answer? Or could at least point me in the right direction to get the answer?

Because nothing beats the sound of a million voices screaming in unison.

Probably like you got it on the PS2. Use the CD's to install FFXI onto your new PS3 hard drive and then download all of the updates again. That's worst case scenario though. There might be a way to transfer your files from your PS2 Hard Drive to your PS3 one, but I don't know enough to know if it's possible or not. And knowing Sony and thier evil ways, they probably would have you do the more painful of the 2 ways. But I'm on PC so I don't know enough about the PS2/3 and thier hard drive compatibility to really say it's im/possible or not.
    This space intentionally left blank.

I don't know, From what i heard FFXI was never again for the Sony PS device. ; ;

Esp since there was no plan (as i heard it) what-so-ever to re-produce the PS2's with the hard drive in them.

I would just say play on PC or X-Box ... (its only like 30 bucks for all expantions (on pc) now with the new bundle released i think in november)
    Chuck Noblet: Can anyone tell me the tragic irony of the Trojan War? Tina? Tina: Um, that horses are friendly creatures yet a hollow, wooden one was used to destroy Troy? Chuck Noblet: Wrong and no. Anyone else? Chip? Chip: That the mighty warrior Achilles was killed by a small cut to his ankle. Chuck Noblet: Chip is wronger. OK, here it is. The tragic irony of the Trojan War is that though it was fought over Helen, who was young and beautiful, by the time they rescued her ten years later, she was old and ugly. Tina: But wasn't recovering the king's wife reward enough for the Greeks? Chuck Noblet: Tina, an ugly woman is never a reward.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Someone in my linkshell said he was playing on PS3 today.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Yeah, you pretty much can play FFXI on PS3 now (I think it was due to a firmware upgrade?). They'll most likely release a version for the PS3 anyways.

If you're worried though, just get it for PC. Much easier that way, and it runs better too.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Hopefully this will mean they will stop PS2 support in a year or so and allow for the game to get a major overhaul on all the stuff PS2 limited for the past 2 years.

Or at least more inventory space that's not restricted cause of "memory problems on the PS2" >.<

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That's because of PS2? What other restrictions are there?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Stop ps2 support NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I much rather play FFXI on the ps2 than my compy anyday. Yeah It may not be "graphicly" as good as the compy/360/ps3 but I enjoy the controls much much better compared to the Compy. I dont have to pay for X-Box Live. Dont have to worry about some random pop up in the middle of the night exiting FFxi while my bazaar mule is on. I bet if I thought about it I could go on and on

I am 99% positive a lot of the restrictions in the game are not caused by the PS2 limitations (i.e. memory).

And I think, even if you like the PS2 version, it'd be a better move for them to stop supporting it. Considering Sony don't even support the older PS2 models with the HDD. Most of the player base have gone to the PC or Xbox360, and I'll be damned if the rest don't switch over to PS3.

They'll most likely start slowly upgrading the game in bits, and you probably won't notice it. It's been happening for awhile with textures and coding.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I would only be extreamly pissed off if SE just made a force move to the ps3. I mean its bad enough that I still payed over $100 just for all the components to play on the ps2 even though its already so old just to turn around and be cut off. Thats what the little post above was really all about.

You could always get a controller. It's what I did, about 25 bucks or so and I can play it with the same controls as console versions. What's better is I can run it with windower and do other things while I play.

I am 99% positive a lot of the restrictions in the game are not caused by the PS2 limitations (i.e. memory).
    Pray tell what these are as I'm fairly sure many of the reasons are PS2's fault. There's quite a limit they can go on how good graphics are before PS2 is completely pushing it's limits with processing it all on a real time basis online, and sadly PS2 is already nearing sad limits. While yes they are improving it, they can't do much more to it. As for memory yeah that's entirely PS2's fault, it can only process so much data at once, and since you can't get new RAM to throw in your PS2 they have to set the standards on memory within game play to fit the PS2. While I'm sure they probably could make it a bit higher then is for other better performance machines, they won't, simply due to the fact that it would equate to making the game 'better' to play on one system then another and SE has been fairly notorious for thier sense of 'equality' (Though arguably thier equality is much betterSony's on PlanetSide in it's short lived life.)

I was more or less talking about features such as mog locker, mog house, etc. You can get up to 60 spaces in the mog locker, 80 in mog house and 60 in inventory. As well as armor and event item storage.

What you had said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2000X View Post
    Or at least more inventory space that's not restricted cause of "memory problems on the PS2" >.<
    The limit for these are not due to the PS2's hardware, but more from the game design. Where I see no problem (with mules and stuff, I have unlimited storage space for 3 of my jobs that require a lot of different gear setups).

And of course you aren't going to get an overhaul on the game engine and graphics with the PS2. They'll eventually weed it out over time, whether you like it or not. And just for an imo; I love the PC, and have been playing on it with no troubles for 3 years -- even all my friends love the PC coming recently from PS2. =)

The PC is obviously the most optimal really..

Need controller? Buy one
    Xbox Live? Its fine, all you need is free Silver since POL is seperate
    Popups? Windower.

That being said, the HDD is pretty much useless as it is unless you play FFXI on PS2 or unless you store pirated games on it..

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3