Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux proselytizing thread

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Default Linux proselytizing thread

Did you know you can try Linux safely on any computer without uninstalling or modifying your current OS, and in fact without installing anything at all? You can boot Linux directly from a CD, called a LiveCD; it will run without touching your hard drive at all. Linux will create an imaginary "drive" in your RAM and run from there. The downside is that when you reboot, you lose everything you did while in Linux; so this is really only useful to try out Linux temporarily, and if you want to use it for real you should install it to your hard drive.

These CDs are free for everyone. You can download and burn a copy yourself. Here are some places you can get a liveCD:

http://www.ubuntu.com/
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Did you know Linux :

1. Is not evil.
    2. Looks better than Windows.
    3. Can do most things Windows can do as well as Windows can.
    4. Can do a great many things that Windows cannot do.
    5. Is free.
    6. Comes by default with more software than you probably ever knew existed.
    7. Can recognize most hardware nowadays.
    8. Can happily co-exist beside other operating systems.
    9. Is not subject to spyware and the vast majority of viruses.
    10. Does not require much use of the command line if you don't want to use it.
    11. Offers a lot more flexibility and customization than other operating systems.
    12. Is extremely easy to install (easier than Windows in many cases).
    13. Will teach you a lot about computers and how they work. Or not, if you don't care.
    14. Is not evil.

I heartily endorse this product or service. If you use Linux, spread some love here. If you don't use it, why not?

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

This Ubuntu interests me to no end. I've always wanted to try out Linux, since I like computers and et cetera, but I've ne'er been a hardxcore enough geek to be able to figure out the more computer-literate distros. Thanks for posting the information.

EDIT: Question! Will I have a problem running various games on a Linux OS, like I've heard? Should I keep my Windows XP installed for gaming?
    Last edited by Moon Rabbits; 11-16-2006 at 02:32 AM.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rabbits View Post
    EDIT: Question! Will I have a problem running various games on a Linux OS, like I've heard? Should I keep my Windows XP installed for gaming?
    Short answer: Yes, keep XP if you want to play games.

Long answer: some (very few) games play natively in Linux; others you would need to play under an emulator such as <a href="http://www.winehq.com/">WINE</a> or <a href="http://www.transgaming.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&file=index&func=display&ceid=29">Cedega</a>. I have had mixed results with both. In fact some games play better emulated in Linux than they do in Windows (higher framerate etc.); but other games that lots of people swear work great, you could try for a month and never get to work. In my opinion it is not worth the trouble trying to get games to work in Linux. Dual-boot is a good option.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just tried my first new os in a long time; osx. Once I get over teh shock of that, I'll start playing with bootcamp

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cedega lacks SM 3.0 support, so newer games will not look as good or will not work at all under Linux. The upside to using Cedega is that you get the DirectX API without all the extra crap running in the background like you would under Windows. I still dual boot to XP to play games, though. Cedega also has a monthly fee.

Linux for everything else is great. I use Ubuntu 6.10 (Gnome-based distro). The install is super easy as long as you know a little bit about partitions (if you plan on dual booting) and everything is running well using Synaptic -- the package manager which contains a list of all your installed programs and thousands of other programs on the Ubuntu servers that you may want to install. And I second Unne's point that you can get Linux to look about 100 times better than Windows, especially with Beryl, the OpenGL compositing manager.

Reno's my man! <3 Fire_Emblem776's Avatar

How large is Linux? Im tempted to get it since it has such a cool logo. Penguins ^_^

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Ubuntu .iso (livecd image you burn onto a CD) is just under 700MB I believe.

Reno's my man! <3 Fire_Emblem776's Avatar

Thanks good to know.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Hmmm, I have always wished to try Linux out.

I shall give this a try.

EDIT:

Yams, unne, and anyone else who has knowledge and experience with Linus, could you give details to the flexibility, options, etc... of Linux?

Like, what is this Beryl you speak of? And other things.

A simple link would suffice if you feel that would explain things better.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Gentoo Linux is the best thing that ever happened to my computer.

[q=Nominus Experse] give details to the flexibility, options, etc... of Linux?

Like, what is this Beryl you speak of? And other things.[/q]

In Linux, you can change anything. Anything.
    There is a package (or 10) in Linux that will do anything. You can install a package designed for one distribution onto any other distribution. Also, for any program in Windows, there are ten that do the same job, or better in Linux. Take Kopete or Gaim, for example.
    All of the software is free. Free and open-source. That means that if you don't like a part of a program, you can get rid of it and recompile.

And for the Beryl thing, go to Google <a href="images.google.co.nz">Images</a> or <a href="video.google.co.nz">Video</a> and search "beryl" or "XGL". I would provide you with better links, but I'm posting this from my phone (running Familiar Linux), and it's a bit difficult to grab links.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I will give Linux a try.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I've always been meaning to do this someday, I just never get around to it. I'd rather have a completely seperate PC to try things out on.

Either way, I'd like an honest, unbiased detail as to what Linux can't do before I try it. I remember once Bleys was talking about Firefox and IE and he detailed all the reasons not to get Firefox. I'm the kind of person that prefers that kind of open honesty when being sold something - I want to know everything that can go wrong so I can prepare myself for such things. If you can do that, I'll be significantly more likely to test this all out.

One major question I have is how much of my existing software will be supported? This includes MS software such as Excel, Word and yes, possibly even IE. Also: AIM (with DeadAIM), Y!M, mIRC, Winamp (with Last.fm), CuteHTML, eMule, IrfanView, FTP Wanderer, Media Player Classic, MS Paint, Azureus, mIRCStats, DigiGuide, VideoLAN (VLC), Trillian, Arcsoft PhotoStudio, Adobe Acrobat, DotColor.

EDIT: For the most part, I DO NOT WANT ALTERNATIVE PRODUCTS. Particularly in the case of Excel, which I use daily for work purposes and personal purposes.

Is it possible to password protect folders? Always was interested in that possibility.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, I am somewhat sceptical of points #1 and 14. Although I'm strongly considering getting the Linux for a lappy, if I get one.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

I am absent of a CD-Burning device since my last one fell apart mysteriously...

Does anyone know of any emulation software that would allow me to boot from the ISO file?

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    7. Can recognize most hardware nowadays...
    ...If you use Linux, spread some love here. If you don't use it, why not?
    Yeah...that'd be why.
    There is no signature here. Move along.