Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So the monk sucks.

Dancing Chocobo

yes I know that the monk sucks but there is something good about him. Oh wait, actually there is nothing good about him.

Actually, my Monk seems fairly useful, as he tends to do 300+ damage when duel equipped with weapons. Right now, I'm at the fight with Salamander, who is kicking my ass.
    The more consciousness, the more will; the more will, the more self. Someone who has no will at all is no self. But the more will he has, the more self-consciousness he has too.-Soren Kierkegaard
    Every people has its own Tartuffery and calls it its virtues.-What is best in us we do not know-we cannot know.-Friedrich Nietzsche
    Trickery, bravery: who asks, in war?-Virgil, The Aeneid, Book II, Line 517

Which FF Character Are You?

Quote Originally Posted by Kefka_Almighty View Post
    Actually, my Monk seems fairly useful, as he tends to do 300+ damage when duel equipped with weapons. Right now, I'm at the fight with Salamander, who is kicking my ass.
    my Knight tends to do 500+ damage.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Black belts suck, yes. This should be pretty obvious to anyone with a bit of historical background.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

マンク =/= Black Belt, Doctor.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Wow, so was the Bard changed from a nearly useless Job to one of the most useful support Jobs in the game? Not bad!
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It's not worth a damn until I press the "A" button, and see it for myself.

Then, I realized that the A button is not quite nearly as useful as the Bard.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

its overuseful so says my friend (via phone, I am yet to go over and check out the import for myself).

I cant wait to get my paws on this and try out bard.

edit: he also says the Geomancer is extremely useful aswell.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Geomancer is the epitome of pwnage. For most of the game, it's free 'Black Magic' via Terrain offers extreme damage, and can exploit elemental weaknesses in some monsters. If you're lucky enough to get Shadowflare, you can off even bosses in one shot. In addition, although not tough enough to take the hits necessary to be a bona fide melee class, the Geomancer's bells hit extremely hard for the points in the game you find them at (such as the Rune Bells).

I'm very happy that all these class upgrades have taken place, as they allow more variety in job selections.

i loved the geomancer he was so good..i also was shocked to see that the scholars books did good dmg for awhile and that his magic skills where good...i also loved how useful the evoker,viking,ranger,and bard actually were! and the summoner is amainzg too

i just got done doing everything there is to do in Eureka...but im going to go do the whole dungeon but not enter the room where you go to the Realm of Darkness...cause i wanna get a lot of gil and go visit eureka again and get like 20 more shruikens...

my current party is Luneth-Dragoon,Arc-Sage,Refia-Summoner,Ingus-Ninja

and my team is massacured the Eureka weapon bosses and have no problem ending a battle in 1 turn...its nice...

PS I found that Black Magic isnt that powerful in this game...i had a Magus and not summoner but i seen bahamut was out doing flare and metoer...and most of the summons seemed to do a lot more damage and the fact of how high the summoners mp is really made me realize how good the summoner was

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

It seems some of the more special classes, such as Bard, Geomancer, Evoker and Summoner, have been improved a lot. I hope the classes still are well balanced so that they aren't way overpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Heh, that strategy was totally different from what I used against Cerberus in FF3j NES. The damage scales seem to have changed, too. When I played, the only things that could deal 9999 damage were Hasted double Shurikens, and even they didn't do 9999 damage every time. The gamer was doing 9999 damage very often on that video, IIRC. Cerberus seemed to have more HP too.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The final bosses in particular have recieved a huge HP boost. Many of the enemies have been boosted, because the number of enemies in battle has been reduced to three maximum due to graphical restraints (with the exception of one battle).

However, your characters can deal over 9,999 damage (which the displayed damage is only capped at 9,999) if thier attacks are powerful enough, so it all works out in the end.

Old-Ones Studios Cruise Control's Avatar

How is a monks damage and defense determined, and do I want him bare-haded (tis the assumption).
    Leave some shards under the belly
    Lay some grease inside my hand
    It's a sentimental jury
    And the makings of a good plan

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

All I know is that if you want to use a bare fisted monk, its Job Level has to be high for the damage to really be effective. Give him weapons to increase his damage output, but lower the number of hits he does, or leave him bare fisted to increase the number of hits he does but lower his damage output. At least, I think that's how it goes.