Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rapping techniques

Default Rapping techniques

How to rap "west coast" style

1)pick a drum beat that complements the sampled loop.
    ex. o-o-o/o-o-o-o-o/o-o-o

2)fill in the drum beats with syllables that make a cool verse. remember that some syllables go high, some low.
    ex. here i am/ the master of the/universe

3)alternate the flow and length of verses that sound funky and that rhyme. also include the long verse that chains beautifully.
    ex. "but i got the hookup with somebody who knows how to get in contact with him."

4)use strong verbs. make sure each verse has a subject and a predicate.
    ex.the scene "looked" strange and it "felt" like a set-up

5)the fun in creating these verses is the variety of how you execute them. some verses can be slow and drawling, others can be funny and witty, others can be fast, and others can be powerful and strong. (tip: challenge your friends)
    ex. I'm the man you see/ and the place to be/ i went to John J. University

6) for the chorus, use a catchy drumbeat that can be repeated over and over without satiety. then fill in the beats with a hip and catchy slogan.
    ex. You down with OPP? Yeah you know me!!!

7)make sure each verse is tight. and cannot be added to or subtracted from.
    ex. creep with me/ as i crawl through the hood/ maniac/ lunatic/ call him snoop eastwood.

8) be descriptive. talk about ghetto life. interesting political commentary. use colorful adjectives. and make it sound cool and hip.

this is my observation of west coast "california" rapping style prevalent during the gangsta rap era. more techniques can be discovered by studying the nature of drumbeats and their psychological nature. also studying how to write good lyrics with substance is another suggestion. the journey is yours.

the east coast style i am not sure of. the drumbeat is not as much used. instead it's more a study of the actual words themselves and their symbolic nature. then it is all nicely moistened together and made at unpredictable patterns to move the listener through a roller coaster ride at magic mountain.

thanks
    :mario::luigi:

theres techniques to rapping?
    Making a slow come back since 2008

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

...Drumbeats?
    If it ain't beatbox, it ain't true to the streets, bra.
    /sarcasm

That's an interesting list you have there though, if not completely random and out of the blue. Rap, when it's good, is *good*. Rap is all about Rhythm, and rhythm is music.

Rapping is about finding and developing your own style. You don't necessarily need to have the greatest mic, but it's very important to find your own style. Keep it original, and don't copy other people.

Rap is a personal expression from an artist. Giving instruction on how to rap kinda strays away from what rap is.

I thought it said "raping techniques"

Which isn't far off, since rap rapes the english language.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by roto13-ness View Post

rap does more than rape the language, it disgraces it, but lets not go into that
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post

rap does more than rape the language, it disgraces it, but lets not go into that
    You're just shooting your mouth off. You couldn't explain yourself even if you tried.

Blog Entries

Ok enough of you "rap sux lolz" we know already and don't really care. Your making these pointless stupid posts is not going to change my views on music. So why bother?

Ok back to topic, I like East coast rap. Well more like I like Queens rappers and a few Brooklyn rappers. For the most part that is. Mainly I listen to NaS and AZ. Both are lyrical geniouses. I don't give to smurfs about what anyone says, these two for the most part have WAY more interesting, fresh and intelligent lyrics then 99.9 to all Rock/metal/ whatever. if you actually listen and study what they actually say, it's just frigging amazing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paro View Post

You're just shooting your mouth off. You couldn't explain yourself even if you tried.
    "I'm gonna bang up my hoe, woah woah! I'm gonna rape some bitches, oh oh, I'm gonna shove my penis in a fan, woah woah!"

You were saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Genji View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paro View Post

"I'm gonna bang up my hoe, woah woah! I'm gonna rape some bitches, oh oh, I'm gonna shove my penis in a fan, woah woah!"

You were saying?
    You're the same way.....

What you rap about is what's important. Maybe you don't like the idea of black guys rhyming words.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rap sux0rz lawlz!

Quote Originally Posted by TrowaBartonIV ^_^ View Post
    Ok enough of you "rap sux lolz" we know already and don't really care. Your making these pointless stupid posts is not going to change my views on music. So why bother?
    Because it obviously gets a rise out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by TrowaBartonIV ^_^ View Post
    Ok back to topic, I like East coast rap. Well more like I like Queens rappers and a few Brooklyn rappers. For the most part that is. Mainly I listen to NaS and AZ. Both are lyrical geniouses. I don't give to smurfs about what anyone says, these two for the most part have WAY more interesting, fresh and intelligent lyrics then 99.9 to all Rock/metal/ whatever. if you actually listen and study what they actually say, it's just frigging amazing.
    No they don't. Immortal Technique is so much better than both of those people, and I don't even like rap.

I use chloroform for...

Oh, rapping.

Ball of Pure being sephirothishere's Avatar

I use chloroform for...
    what about rohypnol....nevermind...jsu kiddin...

ya...rap sux...its not cool...it jus some nancy boys thinkin they is the shiznit.....me and ncg would pwn their asses.....

Sephiro this here.