Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The FF Origins version owns the original any day!

Banned

Grin The FF Origins version owns the original any day!

Alright, this game has a tendency to keep me completely hooked when I decide to give it a try again; wherefore I've been playing this like a maniac for some days now.
    However, I tried the Origins version of this one, and I must say this version completely blows the original into the water big-time.
    There are several reasons as to why this version is superior, the graphics being a vital point; for let's be honest: graphics do affect the overall feeling in a game.
    There's no denying that detailed chars and actual battle backgrounds make a great difference.
    Also the game flows much better and feels much "cleaner", if you follow me.
    Instead of having to deal with boring magic animations that take forever we get COOL, FAST magic animations, and now we can actually cast this spell on those 8 enemies without fearing a major tedium.
    The menus rock as well: you can sort your items very easily, and everything just seems generally easier.
    There's even a Dash function, at least if you play the Easy Mode.
    And let's not forget the soundtrack: all compositions sound extremely nice, and I especially liked the addition to the Overworld Theme: this addition possessed a dark, secret atmosphere, and it fits very well with the rest of the melody.

This version is indeed very well executed, I must say.
    Now I'll have to play this version some more.
    Last edited by Peter_20; 11-22-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Abandon All Hope Fatal Impurity's Avatar

i prefer originality over rehashed half assed easier remakes....

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Easier and harder, wasn't it?

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

I haven't played the original but I'm agreeing with you
    I like to think my Ł7 was money well spent
    ...Geddit?

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I still prefer the DoS version, simply because it got rid of some bugs that should've been gotten rid of anyway, allows one of play FF2 anywhere (which is better than sliced bread, slice bread being very overrated), and you get a rather neat additional campaign to play through.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, yes, it is. It still retains its original difficulty with a few added features. That's like someone comparing FFI for the NES to FFI for Origins. xD It's clear to see which one is superior.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

FFII Origins made the system a bit better than the WSC system, but the game still had its problems. I think the gameplay was quite slow, and leveling up weapons and spells takes forever, so raising spells isn't really worth it. I also dislike the translation in FFII Origins. Fortunately, FFII DoS changed the way how weapons and spells level up, and even though some things were made easier in FFII DoS, I still think the GBA version was quite challenging and a good remake.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I liked in DOS where they took away the whole equiping items thing...WTF was that?? "Hey I need a potion!!!" "I can't give you one I don't have one equiped" "I am just gonna poison myself, this is just freaking insane!" "You can't though!! You don't have poison equipped!!!!!!" "**Holds breath until he turns blue**"
    If I were a Final Fantasy Boss, I would be named something cool like Super-Ultra-Foxtrot-Omega Weapon or something cool like that...

If not played in Easy mode, the Origins versions on the PSX were virtually the same game, save for a few extra cutscenes which certainly don't affect the game's difficulty. The game's interface was simply tweaked so that it didn't quite play like sailing down a river of diarrhea in the same way as the NES version did. The only thing making the game easier is a bunch of options you can either switch off, or just not use at all. Sorted.

The DoS version was too easy though: I mean, it's the only version I ever actually completed so it must have been too easy :)

Actually something I didn't like about the Origins version (that doesn't affect gameplay or difficulty) was the redesigning of Firion's sprite. I used to love how he looked like a fighter back in FFIInes. Now he looks kind of cheesy. Anyone ever seen his menu portrait in DoS? It looks like he's posing as a model or something. Very gay indeed.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power View Post
    I still prefer the DoS version, simply because it got rid of some bugs that should've been gotten rid of anyway, allows one of play FF2 anywhere (which is better than sliced bread, slice bread being very overrated), and you get a rather neat additional campaign to play through.
    Seconded. The script in DoS is much better as well. Although Origins does have its merits.

Dark Knight of EOFF darksword12's Avatar

DoS doesn't have the stat reductions that were present in the original and in origins. That's a real plus, IMO.

Special thanks to dark_lord for the sig!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20 View Post
    And let's not forget the soundtrack: all compositions sound extremely nice, and I especially liked the addition to the Overworld Theme: this addition possessed a dark, secret atmosphere, and it fits very well with the rest of the melody.
    The rebel base theme had the greatest improvement. While I can't stand to listen to the NES Version for very long, I really liked the Origins version.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20 View Post
    The rebel base theme had the greatest improvement. While I can't stand to listen to the NES Version for very long, I really liked the Origins version.
    That one is really good, definitely one of the more beautiful melodies in this game.

Too bad there's no "prologue" part of this game, though; it would be really nice to hear the wonderful Final Fantasy Theme.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I alwasy thought the real accomplishment of Origins/DoS/WC was the remake of FFII. While FFI was basically a graphic/sound/easier difficulty upgrade from the NES version, it didn't address the fact that the game lacks story.

In FFII's case they took a game with ty software and a great vision and made it into a very fun game and a damn good Final Fantasy.