Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crafting Thread

Default Crafting Thread

Del Murder was asking for some Clothcrafting advice so I thought I'd help him out... however, it was getting lenghty and I thought I might as well make a full thread out of it and perhaps more people could benefit from it later. It will be a work in progress and I'll keep adding to it as well as adding other crafting guides from personal experience for sub crafts and such.

---------------------------------------

If you're new to crafting just learn to watch the market. Always check for NPCs that sell at a better prices than the AH. Check your guild... if you are lucky RMT won't be camping the item you need and you can get some super cheap.

Here's probably a good way to get started though.

0 -> 3 Grass Thread (Lightning > 2xMoko Grass)

Several NPCs sell Moko Grass so try to get it there. Hold onto what you make.

3 -> 4 Grass Cloth (Earth > 3xGrass Thread)

You can start this recipe early, but I wouldn't suggest it. You'll actually need quite a bit of Cloth soon so go ahead and make as much of that Thread into Cloth as you can (even after you cap).

4 -> 8 Cape (Earth > Grass Thread, 2xGrass Cloth)

These are a pretty bad loss. Depending if you have a lot of mule space and patience you can either NPC them or sell them over a month or so. Save one for your test, which you can do anywhere between 8-10. I'd suggest waiting until you're closer to the cap. Especially at higher levels it seems that once you're the next crafting rank your skill ups start coming slower.

8 -> 11 Hachimaki (Wind > 2xGrass Cloth)

These suck and are a rough loss. If you feel like it you can take them to the cap at 11, but the next recipe is almost worth starting early since you can buy ingredients from an NPC. Don't forget to do your test.

10 -> 19 Linen Thread (Lightning > 2xFlax Flower)

These don't suck too bad. Get Flax Flowers from the NPC. Save the Threads for the next recipe and make sure to do your next test before moving on.

19 -> 22 Linen Cloth (Earth > 3xLinen Thread)

If you want to hold onto your cloth for a much much later, optional recipe you can. However, sell it if you feel like it and need some gil back.

22 -> 29 Kaginawa (Earth > Grass Thread, Manticore Hair, Bronze Ingot) *SMITHING SUB REQUIRED*

These sell really well. These are generally profit to make. There are some other options in this range that don't require Smithing, but these are so good that they are absolutely worth leveling Smithing.

29 -> 34 Shinobi-Tabi (Earth > Saruta Cotton, Grass Thread, 2xCotton Cloth)

This is another potential profit depending on your server. Try to get the Saruta Cotton at the vendor when possible. You may want to stop this recipe early for the sake of materials for following synths or you may want to skip it period for the same reason.

29 -> 35 Wool Thread (Lightning > 2xSheep Wool)

Hold onto this for maing the Cloth. If you skipped Shinobi-Tabi, you may feel like you can stop this early and feel that you have enough thread for the cloths. You almost never will in any set like this so I'd suggest getting very close to the cap.

35 -> 37 Wool Cloth (Earth > 3xWool Thread)

Once you're finally done with this you should be able to sell left over cloth and thread unless you want to save some for future potential synths. I find it dangerous to hold onto materials in that way because the economy can sometimes shift and devalue materials you have sitting around. It's a gamble.

37 -> 42 Bird Flecthings (Wind > 2xBird Feather)

This can cost quite a bit, and farming bird feathers is a pain. Because of the state of RNG, fletchings and arrows are worth very little. I'd still suggest sticking these on the AH in Sandy (on a mule if possible). They will eventually sell to people leveling up Woodworking.

42 -> 52 Insect Fletchings (Wind > 2xInsect Wing)

This is very long stretch, but it's cheaper than the alternatives. Insect Wings are usually pretty cheap. If you can DO NOT buy them in Windy. You can stock up on them for extra cheap in other cities, but you'll need to synth at least the first several levels in Windy with HQ support. Go alllll the way to the cap because you're about to start burning money.

52 -> 53 Silk Cloth (Earth > 3xSilk Thread)

It's a tiny bridge, but I'd suggest doing it anyway.

------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------
    There are a lot of ways to go from here and they all suck a lot. Some people like to make Green Ribbons, which are a loss. However, with the economy being bottomed out so badly, they might not be so bad. They NPC for 1kish. You will lose a LOT of gil doing Green Ribbons. I personally did this during a time when Karakul Cloth was pretty hot. I would buy Karakul Wool and turn it into Karakul Thread until 55 and then turn my Threads into Karakul Cloth. This was break even when I did it... but I needed about 3M investment capital to keep it going at the time.

Cap @ 55 Karakul Thread (Lightning > 2xKarakul Wool)

Cap @ 57 Karakul Cloth (Earth > 3xKarakul Thread)

Cap @ 62 Green Ribbon (Wind > Silk Cloth)

If Karakul parts don't sound good to you, you can take Green Ribbons to 62 though you may want to stop earlier than that for the next recipe.

Cap @ 63 Hunter's Cotton (Earth > 3xCotton Thread, Carapace Powder, Distilled Water)

I'd suggest leveling Bone at this point. You'll hit a spot where Carapace Powder is nice for leveling up. Making your own Carapace Powder is almost always better than buying it. Hunter's Cotton is all but useless. It's for upgrading AF to AF+1. However, very few RNGs do this. You can keep this on a mule and try to sell it over the next 3 years or you can NPC it.

You can weight you options as to whether you want to take this to the cap or start the next synth.

62 -> 72 Black Chocobo Fletchings (Wind > Black Chocobo Feather)

This is a recipe best done when the economy is inflated. Right now, it could be pretty nasty. You an buy the feathers at the chocobo stables of whatever nation is in 1st. They are not cheap. Except to spend 1M+ to get to 72. For the same reason as all other fletchings... these are crap and a big loss to sell on the AH. They don't NPC that great either. It's up to you.

Cap @ 78 Rainbow Thread (Lightning > 2xSpider Web)

Get HQ support all the time. It's not worth losing your materials. You should be looking ahead to puk fletchings. You may only want to take this up to 75 or so and then start making Cloth. This can be a very large investment as you'll need to hold onto the threads rather than selling them (which would be around break even). Whenever you decide to stop, move on to making the Cloth from them for a return in your investment.

Cap @ 80 Rainbow Cloth (Earth > 3xRainbow Thread)

At this point I'm only telling you what I'm planning, so I can't give any first hand experience. However, these will sell well. It's generally far better to stick them on a mule and sell them out slowly in singles for maximum return of your investment.

Cap @ 82 Puk Fletchings (Wind > 2xPuk Wing)

This recipe is pretty cheap. As a result of constant meriting going on in ToAU areas, these are pretty easy to come by. If you merit a lot, go hang out with your PT and ask them for all of their Wings. They aren't worth much, so most PTs will be happy to hand them over.

Cap @ 88 Wamoura Silk (Lightning > 2xWamoura Cocoon)

These are currently dirt cheap (by comparison to other cloth things). Doing this will probably be cheaper than Rainbow Thread/Cloth. Hold onto your Threads.

Cap @ 90 Wamoura Cloth (Earth > 3xWamoura Silk)

Can't say much... I'm not there.
    Last edited by Yeargdribble; 12-02-2006 at 12:07 PM.

Smithing

If you want to try mining it may help you out. Gusgen is a good place for the first 20 levels.

0 -> 2 Bronze Ingot (Fire > 3xCopper Ore, Tin Ore)

Buy the ores at the guild and hold onto the results.

2 -> 4 Bronze Sheet (Fire > Bronze Ingot)

It sucks turning perfectly good ingots into crappy sheets. Hold onto these as well.

4 -> 10 Bronze Scales (Wind > Bronze Sheet)

If you run out of Sheets, it might be worth checking to see if it would be cheaper to make Ingot -> Sheet instead of just buying Sheets from the AH.

10 -> 15 Tin Ingot (Fire > 4xTin Ore)

Buy the Ores at the guild

15 -> 20 Iron Ingot (Fire > 4xIron Ingot)

Hard to buy at the guild most of the time. Cheapest if mined, but you can find them on the AH as well.

20 -> 22 Iron Sheet (Fire > Iron Ingot)

Another shame.

22 -> 26 Iron Scales (Wind > Iron Sheet)

Horrible loss.

26 -> 30 Iron Chain (Earth > 2xIron Ingot)

Depending on the market these can be break-even or profit.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed. This should keep me busy.

Is there way to put synthesis on a macro?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

My main LS wont let me take up Smithing because they think it is overrated.

same with Goldsmithing.

soooo, I will either do Cooking or Cooking

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Why do you have to do what they say?

Sorry, can't macro crafting.

As for Smithing. I think Smithing is actually the most UNDER-rated craft. It's pretty spectacular and usually there aren't a lot of level 100 Smiths on a server. However, level 100 cooks are a dime a dozen. I might take Cooking to 100 on a mule, but I don't think it's worth being a main craft really.

Also, consumables are absolutely destroyed by RMT. Do a /sea all Hollyboyboyboy. There's one on most servers that does nothing but sit around and make sushi all day out of the catchs of RMT fishermen. As a result, they can cripple the sushi market completely.

I'll try to keep updating these at least to 60 (since I'm cloth main I might edit that one beyond 60). Most of these will be based on my own experience. Always keep in mind that guides are just that. They aren't the only path. Depending on the market it might be in your best interest to look around.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Why do you have to do what they say?
    because Kishimoto is ftw?

I only really want to take up Cooking, Alchemy or Leathercraft.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    Sorry, can't macro crafting.
    Also, consumables are absolutely destroyed by RMT. Do a /sea all Hollyboyboyboy. There's one on most servers that does nothing but sit around and make sushi all day out of the catchs of RMT fishermen. As a result, they can cripple the sushi market completely.
    That same goes for woodworking. Almost all the ninja tools are monopolized by RMT on my server.

There has been a recent if not yesterday..mass banning. So crafting of consumables might be better off soon. On that note i used Yagudo Fletchings at some point instead of Linen Cloth because feathers are extremely easy to get, AND you can lvl a 1-10 job off yagudos easily with getting the crystal. It isnt as safe as it is before but i definetly used Yagudo Fletchings and i think it would be safe still to use.

Instead of Kaginawa, i did that fishing lure...i forget i think it was fly Lure, all you need is lvl 4 bonecrafting, and then it lvls up along with cloth craft as you make them. NPC it or Sandorian Sell....but i aint sure about it now. Back in the days thats what i did. Then do Shinobi Tabi til 33. Afterwards i spammed bird fletchings...then 42-ish i think spammed Insect until you do silk..in which after a while you can subsititute for Hunter's Cotton these days.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I hear of a lot of people doint Fly Lures that don't have Smithing. I just remember being surprised after making Kaginawa because it was such a huge profit. It's still a good money maker now on my server. If you can get your Cloth and Smithing to a decent tier to HQ and actually farm the Manticore Hairs then you'll be rolling in gil. But even buying them is still profit for me by quite a bit.

no clue,i have heard however that on most servers, its only a profit if you successfully make one one skilling up, if you fail you lose however....maybe it breaks even but i just prefer a more consistant skill up.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

92 clothcraft here.

I make a whack of money off of shinobi-tabi.

Earth + 2x Cotton Cloth + Grass Thread + Silk Thread

I HQ the snot out of them, but they're a profit synth even without HQ on Alexander at the moment.

they cap at 34.

this is an awsome guide. For smithing I would have never thought to start crafting those bronze scales before lvl 8. As a result of this guide my smithing went up 3 points in less than 30mins

At low levels larger spreads are easy. I find that 6 level spreads are a joke almost anywhere. An 8 level spread isn't too difficult. I've done two 11 level spreads (in higher levels, which made them horribly painful). I would suggest doing a 10+ level spread unless you really really know what you are in for. If you are gonna do a large spread be prepared to get HQ support.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I just got level 42 in Clothcraft today. 0 to 42 in less than a week. Not bad! Here's how I did it. Up to 22 I followed Yearg's guide.

22-->23 Yagudo Fletchings (Wind, Yagudo Feather x2)
    I couldn't resist getting a cheap level with these feathers since you can buy them from the guild for almost nothing. The Fletchings sold for a small sum, too.

23-->27 Heko Obi (Earth, Cotton Cloth x2, Grass Thread)
    These were at a loss but the materials aren't that expensive if you buy them all in one day at the guild when prices are low. The good part about this is that you can still get a skill up on a break, and actually breaks are more economic since the materials cost a lot more than the result is worth. When I did get a success I just desynthed them to try to get some more skill up and also material back. The loss wasn't huge, though.

27-->30 Fly Lure *Requires Bonecraft 8* (Earth, Animal Glue, Bat Fang, Chocobo Feather)
    For me, levelling Bonecraft to 8 was much easier than doing Smithing to 19. The guilds are both located in the same country for one. Also the price of Manticore Hair made Kaginawa not very economical. The only thing you need to worry about here is the price of glue, since fangs are pretty cheap on AH and feathers can be bought from various NPCs. I was able to make a profit from these, and am still selling them on another character.

30-->34 Shinobi-tabi (Earth, Cotton Cloth x2, Grass Thread, Saruta Cotton)
    This is the good stuff here. I was able to make a nice profit on these. Make sure you watch the price of cotton, as it can get expensive, but if you need gil for the later levels this could be a good money maker. I got the cloth and thread at the guild, but cotton I had to buy at the AH.

34-->35 Wool Thread (Lightning, Sheep Wool x2)
    I only got one level of this, but I made a lot of Wool Thread because I used it in the next recipe and buying the Sheep Wool and synthing was much much cheaper. Check prices and see if you can make a profit on this. I bought my wool from the guild.

35-->37 Wool Cloth (Earth, Wool Thread x3)
    Basically I turned all my Thread into Cloth to gain these levels. Stacks of Cloth don't sell as often, but individually they sell for nice profit if you have the patience for that.

37-->42 Bird Fletchings (Wind, Bird Feather x2)
    There's no profit to be made here, but recipes in this range are kind of lacking. At least Feathers are cheap and the Fletching stacks at 99 so you don't have to keep unloading your inventory. An acceptable loss for me, since I've still got plenty of Shinobi-tabi to sell.

So now I'm at 42 and kind of stuck. I might do Velvet Cloth to 45 and then Silk Thread to 51, or just go right to Silk Thread. Everyone needs silk. The problem is those damn cocoons don't stack.