Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Catcher In The Rye

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought it was fantastic.

And I don't think it's popular because it criticized our lifestyle, I think it's popular because Holden is such an easy character to relate to - his manner of thinking, including his criticism of society, being a large part of that.

If you don't see the world as Holden sees it, you probably won't enjoy the book. If you do, it's a fantastic experience - if even liberating - to know that you're not alone in all of those thoughts.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
    I thought it was fantastic.

And I don't think it's popular because it criticized our lifestyle, I think it's popular because Holden is such an easy character to relate to - his manner of thinking, including his criticism of society, being a large part of that.

If you don't see the world as Holden sees it, you probably won't enjoy the book. If you do, it's a fantastic experience - if even liberating - to know that you're not alone in all of those thoughts.
    i totally agree. no offence you guys, cos i know alot of good americans (all on this site), but one of the main reasons i like this is becaus i relate with holden, as i have always criticised americans
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

I can't really relate to a character with a horrid vocabulary and speech. Nor can I care when he simply sits there and lets time and people carry him from place to place. However, there are certain aspects of Holden's character that I can relate to, which, as you said, does enrich the experience. The cynical, sarcastic outlook is one of a few.

It's simply that Holden reminds me of the idiots that sat in my high school classes and did nothing, and yet criticized the world. Such demeanor bothers me profusely.

His wandering mind is something we can all relate to in some fashion or form, and the book is somewhat interesting because of this. While most of his observations seem immature to me, some are witty and actually interesting.

The humour had its merits, but it quickly became something of a bore to me as it seemed to be playing the same type repeatedly.

But I have yet to finish the book, so it may yet prove to be better than my initial reactions.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

personally, i find his views mainly mature, and well informed. also, you seem to be making out that Holden is a very foul mouthed individual, who is very different from society. but if you went and spoke to alot of people, they would use his vocabulary, if not, worse vocab than him
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Nominus Experse View Post
    I can't really relate to a character with a horrid vocabulary and speech. Nor can I care when he simply sits there and lets time and people carry him from place to place. However, there are certain aspects of Holden's character that I can relate to, which, as you said, does enrich the experience. The cynical, sarcastic outlook is one of a few.

It's simply that Holden reminds me of the idiots that sat in my high school classes and did nothing, and yet criticized the world. Such demeanor bothers me profusely.

His wandering mind is something we can all relate to in some fashion or form, and the book is somewhat interesting because of this. While most of his observations seem immature to me, some are witty and actually interesting.

The humour had its merits, but it quickly became something of a bore to me as it seemed to be playing the same type repeatedly.

But I have yet to finish the book, so it may yet prove to be better than my initial reactions.
    His language was intended to sound like an everyman. Everything about his character was intended to take upon the characteristics of the everyman. He is like the jerks that sit around and do nothing, but at the same time he's like those who try to get ahead but don't understand why it doesn't happen. He's a very human character.

Really, though, if you don't immediately feel a connection, the book's a lost cause. He won't grow on you; obviously not everyone who reads it is going to feel like they've been in the shoes of Holden Caufield. What's astounding about the book is just how many people do.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Loved the book; it's a quality read.

bitchin in black Twisted Tinkerbell's Avatar

I have to admit, I did feel a real connection with Holden when I read the book, I think it was that connection that made me fall in love with that book.

This sexy sig is by Owen Mcwere. Thank you Owie!

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

I just now finished the book...

It was interesting in some ways, but no, it didn't really grow on me. Usually, when I complete a book, I feel something afterwards - most commonly reflecting on the greatness or completion of the story. When I finished this book, it didn't trigger any sort of thoughts or feelings of completion, happiness, whathaveyou. It was just done, and I didn't really feel like it was worth my time.

I guess, as you implied, some people cannot relate or care enough about this tale. I really wanted to enjoy it, and I wished to revel in the contraversy and whatnot of the book, but I feel that as the reader of the story, I should not have to stretch myself to odd ends to make a book, personally, worth reading.

It simply did not appeal to me. I wouldn't term it as a bad book, unlike My Antonia (a completely unrelated yet all the same horrific drawl of a book), but it most definately was not one I found to be personally memorable.

I'm glad others enjoy it though. In some ways, I am jealous.

Talk about the a cynic bastard pointing out the phoniness of society. The book was fantastic.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some of the characters are ridiculously flat.
    Those things are completely, utterly intentional.

This is one of my favorite books in the universe.

Signature by rubah. I think.

An amazing book. One of my favourites, and it's so poignant in a simple, understandable way. I sure could relate to Holden sometimes, and there's something wonderful about his smurf all attitude.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

I haven't read it, but it certainly looks interesting. I have just started to read the "classics" - but I admit I find it hard to get into them. I might check out this book.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I really liked it to begin with, including Holden, but then gradually I started to really dislike Holden. I thought he was so insecure that he was a bastard. He never gave anyone a chance, and it annoyed me. I still had to finish the book though, cause I had to write a 3000 word coursework on it, which I got a B for I think.

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

It's the only book I've read this year. Brilliant it was
    ...Geddit?

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

smurfing great book. I read it at work in one day. It was almost distressing to read, because Holden comes across so realistically that you can't help be be annoyed by him and feel sorry for him at the same time. He's probably one of the most real characters ever brought to life by a work of fiction.