Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Catcher In The Rye

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    smurfing great book. I read it at work in one day. It was almost distressing to read, because Holden comes across so realistically that you can't help be be annoyed by him and feel sorry for him at the same time. He's probably one of the most real characters ever brought to life by a work of fiction.
    yep my thoughts exactly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nominus Experse
    unlike My Antonia (a completely unrelated yet all the same horrific drawl of a book)
    try reading Pride And Prejudice, then you will know how horrific a book can be
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    unlike My Antonia (a completely unrelated yet all the same horrific drawl of a book)
    try reading anything by Jane Austen ever, then you will know how horrific a book can be
    Fixed.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
    try reading anything by Jane Austen ever, then you will know how horrific a book can be
    Fixed.
    Too true!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

haha thanks, i assumed that they all would be bad, but i didnt know

YOU'RE ALL WRONG. Pride and Prejudice is one of the BESTEST books in the universe!! Elizabeth!! Mr Darcy! He's perfection!!! And Jane Austen is awesome.

I never thought anti-Austen people existed.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

it's the most tedious, pointlessly boring book in existance. who gives a damn if they will marry!? it was obvious from the first time they met that they would get married in the end

it's the most tedious, pointlessly boring book in existance. who gives a damn if they will marry!? it was obvious from the first time they met that they would get married in the end
    I don't know. Maybe you found it that simple, but I love her style of writing and the whole story plot was really sweet and romantic. (And yes okay I like this kind of classic romance novel where it's not all smurfitty-smurf-smurf!) The characters were beautifully defined; hell, y'think people'd be piping on about the perfection of Mr Darcy two centuries after it was written!? I just love the way it spans out, and the twists in the plot -- Elizabeth and Mr Darcy <3

Ah Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Hope you don't think I'm being an Austen missionary of sorts and tryin' to convert you or nuffink. Just ranting about a book I love.

Back to Catcher in the Rye.

I dunno, did anyone else find the image Holden had of being the catcher in the rye one of the most fantastic things ever? Because I was obsessed with the idea of being the said catcher in the rye for ages and ages. It just seemed so ideal and perfect and AWAY from it all, which probably exactly what he wanted. Bejesus, no society to wallow in. Just rye rye rye!
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I truly thought it was one of the saddest things I'd ever read. Not that there was anything wrong with the profession: just that it was such a noble, idealistic thought. And you knew he'd never be able to accomplish his dream, and would probably end up sliding further down the slippery slope he was on.

And sorry, Resha, but Jane Austen is absolutely atrocious. Pride and Prejudice was utterly predictable and valueless. There are much better love stories out there. And Austen's writing is particularly blech, but I'm not much of a fan of a lot of 18th/19th century literature, so that's partially just my distaste for the style of english.

I actually just finished reading The Catcher In the Rye. In my opinion, it was a really good book that I could relate to. I too, had to read it because of school and learned about everything in depth so it kinda made me like it more because I knew what the author or Holden was actually meaning.

But throughout the course of the book, I pityed Holden very much so. He had too high of expectations for the world and he always got hurt in the end...like when he goes back to the museum near the end of the book (except for Pheobe, course...she is my favorite character in the book)

But I have to say, one of the best endings I have ever read. When I read it, I was actually picturing the park and his hunter hat. And the whole point that he (SPOILER) was telling the story when he was in a mental institution . I liked that concept to it. Stradlater also kinda reminds me of some boys today.

All in all, I liked it a lot and I will most likely be picking it up again the next chance I get (after all the papers and homework...and those Harry Potter books)

Sig was made XandrewX, of course

Chocobo Lovers Club!!
    Proud Member ...all hail Goldenboko!
    Would you like to play? Paste this into your sig with a link to your favorite Playin' and Support the Playin' threads.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, i'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. I loved Holden's character, he's so realistic and some of the things he says are fascinating. I liked the way he'd just go off on tangents and express himself about everything. Excellent stuff.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    And sorry, Resha, but Jane Austen is absolutely atrocious. Pride and Prejudice was utterly predictable and valueless. There are much better love stories out there. And Austen's writing is particularly blech, but I'm not much of a fan of a lot of 18th/19th century literature, so that's partially just my distaste for the style of english.
    Not to mention Emma, which presented such an ugly face to Victorian culture that I can't hardly stand thinking that the period ever existed.

I feel bad tearing into an author you like so much, Resha, but I had to do so much coursework on Emma that it feels good to rant So take no offense!

I take none, dear Hsu! Haha, I love Emma too. I think I can understand why people don't like Austen, but I like her nonetheless.

As for coursework on Emma. Well now. I wouldn't like that. Doing coursework on Austen would be slightly less worse than doing coursework on...er...I dunno, Tolkien or someone. HEADACHES. Too stoic and prosy.

The Catcher in the Rye is one of my favourite books of all time, and I probably won't be able to relate at all to anyone who doesn't at least appreciate it. Holden Caulfield is easily one of the greatest characters in literary history. It's a shame Salinger didn't write much else. Still need to read his short stories.

Jane Austen, I get the impression, was intended to be a bit of a satire on Victorian culture, but I was never able to get through an entire book of hers, because Victorian culture just doesn't interest me that much.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Resha View Post
    I take none, dear Hsu! Haha, I love Emma too. I think I can understand why people don't like Austen, but I like her nonetheless.

As for coursework on Emma. Well now. I wouldn't like that. Doing coursework on Austen would be slightly less worse than doing coursework on...er...I dunno, Tolkien or someone. HEADACHES. Too stoic and prosy.
    try doing coursework, and a speech on Pride And Prejudice! (oh, and sorry for attacking the author you love)...then again, doing coursework on Catcher makes the book lose part of its amazingness

Ciddieless since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Spatvark View Post
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. *assassinates a few people*
    *cough* Lennon *cough*

I haven't read the book, so I can't pass judgement. But just as an interesting fact, Mark David Chapman read this book while he sat and waited outside the Dakota building, waiting for John Lennon.

When Lennon arrived, Chapman shot and killed him, then sat back down and read his book again until the police came.
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec