Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Whatever floats your boat..."

Blog Entries

Angry "Whatever floats your boat..."

This is the worst smurfing saying ever made. What the hell. Whatever floats your boat? So like you can fulfill all of your needs? Selfish asshole!

So lets say I'm on a plane. Theres some hijacker kicking everyones ass. He says he's going to blow the plane up. Then some dip[img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] says "Whatever floats your boat!" WTF. What about all the other smurfers on the plane? What about our boat? What about our damn needs? And why a boat? What about the planes? What about the cars? Stupid! Jesus. Thats like vehiclist discrimination or something.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think it’s a rather swell saying, and I use it more often than “Whatever turns you on.”

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It also applies that if someone is threatened by the floating of other boats, then it is logical to sink said enemy's boat, because it is applied to the second person, not the first, so it applies to all involved parties. Not only that, it rhymes (which is automatic win).

I've only ever heard someone use it when the genuinely don't care about the actions of others.

Maybe you're reading too much into it. Maybe its derived from some sort of water travel saying...like say, back when it was fashionable to travel by boat, a salty sea captain and his crew made a boat out of peanut brittle. And everyone told him that it wouldn't work and they exiled him from the town and in his escape from the swarm of angry villagers his peanut brittle boat sailed far enough for him to make his escape.

Peanut brittle...that's what floats my boat.

Am I the baddest? Am I the greatest?
    Sho'nuff

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It beats, "Different strokes for different folks". Unless you're into that sort of thing of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Genji View Post
    This is the worst smurfing saying ever made. What the hell. Whatever floats your boat? So like you can fulfill all of your needs? Selfish asshole!

So lets say I'm on a plane. Theres some hijacker kicking everyones ass. He says he's going to blow the plane up. Then some dip[img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img][img]/xxx.gif[/img] says "Whatever floats your boat!" WTF. What about all the other smurfers on the plane? What about our boat? What about our damn needs? And why a boat? What about the planes? What about the cars? Stupid! Jesus. Thats like vehiclist discrimination or something.
    You're missing half of the saying. It's, "Whatever floats your boat and doesn't sink mine." Does that answer your question?

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Whatever gets it up, Genji.

Blog Entries

Ok then, whatever floats your airship
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post

So lets say I'm on a plane. Theres some hijacker kicking everyones ass. He says he's going to blow the plane up. Then some dip says "Whatever floats your boat!" WTF. What about all the other smurfers on the plane? What about our boat? What about our damn needs? And why a boat? What about the planes? What about the cars? Stupid! Jesus. Thats like vehiclist discrimination or something.
    Ok then, whatever floats your airship

Haha...ahh...this place rules. All of you guys are now among the top of the list on my "All Time Favorite People" section.

Sho'nuff

Quote Originally Posted by Se-davvero-esiste View Post
    Maybe you're reading too much into it. Maybe its derived from some sort of water travel saying...like say, back when it was fashionable to travel by boat, a salty sea captain and his crew made a boat out of peanut brittle. And everyone told him that it wouldn't work and they exiled him from the town and in his escape from the swarm of angry villagers his peanut brittle boat sailed far enough for him to make his escape.
    Oh, and to think I thought the root of said saying was sexual in nature.

This phrase is fine as long as you're referring to something that doesn't affect others. For example, if my friend decides to eat Crisco (ew) for lunch, I can say "Whatever floats your boat". It doesn't affect me at all, but is something that makes her happy.

Yes, it should not be treated as a universal phrase as already pointed out.

But...my post was about peanut brittle and its many MacGyver-esque uses...

Sho'nuff

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

If someone was going to blow up a plane, I doubt anyone would say that. Consider the fact that it would not only end everyone else's life, but his as well. So I would think, for the most part, he would care about that.

"Whatever turns your crank" and "Knock yourself out/your socks off" Are two of my favorite saying that mean the same thing.

Blog Entries

"Whatever floats your boat" is a phrase derived from the very serious situation of a guys boat sinking.
    Really, it's the kind of thing one often shouted in desperacy, "Do whatever it takes to keep your boat afloat! Throw out the food, the fish, the women and children! Work through the night in raw, unadulterated, salt that erodes through your flesh to patch the holes! Build it right at any expense! Do it!"

And, eventually, as we passed out of those rugged days of Eleanore Roosevelt and Theodore... Chipmunk (I don't know), the phrases and uses slackened in importance until something that would seem of vital significance is now a catchy little phrase that i will use at will. Because it floats my conversational technique like a proverbial boat.

What I hate is the term "proverbial" followed by whatever anecdotal nonsense that the word is adjective to. That term pisses me off because it just isn't necessary. Much like the word "Veritable."

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Banana floats float my boat, baby.