Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asian Cinema

Default Asian Cinema

Any fans of Asian cinema here?

When I say asian cinema I guess I mean far eastern. Like for example the Hong Kong film industry is pretty huge.

I have watched many films from Jackie Chan, most of his earlier films. I thought 'Double Dragon' was really good.
    '2000 A.D' is amazing for it's special effects, and it mentioned some guy completing FFVIII in 7 hours which was insane!
    I love my Chinese films, like 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', 'House of Flying Daggers' and 'Hero'.
    Not forgetting our Japanese favourites 'Ringu' and 'Jun-on' series.

I had recently watched a film called 'Bad Guy' which was from Korea. I found this was a really good film. It portrayed prositution and how girls are tricked into it. Just scary that things still happen like that. The story is lovely though, really makes you cry and think..."Aaaah".
    A coward dies a thousand deaths. A soldier only dies ONCE

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Hong Kong cinema is pretty much my favourite cinema, I guess. Infernal Affairs is one of my top three films of all time.

I love martial arts films, too. Jackie Chan and all the rest. Police Story is the best action film of all time, bar none, Project A, Snake in Eagles Shadow, Drunken Master, etc. All class films. Dragons forever, too. You can't really go wrong with Jackie Chan.

Tony Jaa is currently my favourite martial artist, Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong have the best fighting scenes i've ever seen. The chase scene in Ong Bak is brilliant. (the one on foot.)

Also yeah, the period dramas, Hero, House of Flying Dagger, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and all that are qualitey too.

Battle Royale is my favourite film of all, I love BRII as well, as far as japanese films go.

Oldboy is another good one.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah Tony Jaa is amazing, and I think I must have seen all the Jackie Chan movies!
    I didnt like House Of Flying Daggers much, but I really liked Hero.

Yep. I've watched a lot of Indian (I wonder why ._.) and KOREAN movies. Some Korean ones are awesome; "My Sassy Girl", "She's On Duty", "Please Teach Me English"...yep. And I have Battle Royale just waiting to be watched but I am scared coz it looks so BLOODY

I love Jackie Chan, good stuff. But I really don't like Zhang Ziyi erugh. There was this brilliant Chinese movie I watched a while ago -- called "Perhaps Love". It was just a brilliant bit of cinema. Everyone should watch this movie. THEATRICAL BRILLIANCE.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Hey Riana, I love all the Ju-on films! Great stuff. The Ring, Dark Water, The Grudge, etc.

Have you seen Audition? I loved that film.

Edit: Oh yeah, I liked a lot of Jet Li movies.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is one of my all-time favorites, and one of my most-watched movies.

I like Hero less so...way too much "One China" under "Our Wise Ruler(s)" propaganda for me, though the concept was still really fun. House of Flying Daggers had some cool moments, but otherwise was boring and predictable IMO.

As for other genres,

the Japanese Shall We Dance, that came out way before the joke that was J-Lo's one is one of my favorites.

Eat Drink, Man Woman was enjoyable.

And of course Kurosawa's Seven Samurai is a masterpiece (unfortunately haven't seen any of his other stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Resha View Post
    But I really don't like Zhang Ziyi erugh.
    Heh, I'm kind of a Ziyi fan. I generally think that she's the best thing in any film she's in, even the bad ones (Memoirs of a Geisha!). She's awesome in 2046 and Crouching Tiger.

Ender: I agree with you about Hero. I thought it was a bit dull. HoFD is pretty much eye candy, but I don't mind since it looks so good. And Ziyi looks particularly hot.

I really like quite a few recent Korean films. Try out Save The Green Planet - it's utterly bizarre. Japanese films like Battle Royale and Hana-Bi as well.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I will make my usual recommendations here and mention Chungking Express and After Life (the former is set in Hong Kong, the latter is a Japanese film) - both are wonderful and the first is the source of my signature quote.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Oldboy
    Last Life In The Universe
    Crouching Tiger
    Anything Kurosawa
    Battle Royale

Asian cinema is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

Have you seen Audition? I loved that film.
    No I haven't yet, my friend told me that was good. That's on my rental waiting list, I have an account with this website, it's fantastic! But the waiting kinda sucks. Only you can make your money's worth.

http://www.lovefilm.com/visitor/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Resha

Yep. I've watched a lot of Indian (I wonder why ._.) and KOREAN movies.
    Nothing wrong with Indian films...I like them!

(thanks for correcting me about John Abraham I wasn't too sure)
    A coward dies a thousand deaths. A soldier only dies ONCE

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm a fan of Takashi Miike's movies, but I also like Battle Royale. That was fantastic.

Add Me to Your Mana Pool 41-Inches-Wide's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I must say I am a sucker for Korean love stories.

Happy Birthday to Me

My favorites would have to be:
    House Of Flying Daggers
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Hero
    Kung Fu Hustle (not reallly sure if that one fits the bill, but I really like it none the less)

I love martial arts films as well, but for me, you can't top samurai movies. Kurosawa is one of my favorite directors out of any genre.