Thread: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Reiji Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

I just watched this series in its entirety last night with a bunch of friends, and I must say that I absolutely loved it. Having seen some of the earlier episodes and known, generally, what it was about, I must say that seeing all 14 episodes in glorious out-of-chronological-order-ness was quite the experience.

So, for those of you who have seen it, what do you think of it? I personally liked the artwork quite a bit, and I thought the music was good, especially the two insert songs that Haruhi sings on episode 12 (one of my favorite episodes, truth be told). Any other thoughts?

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Those 2 songs in ep 12 were the bomb. One of the cool things about that anime is how it kind of breaks the 4th wall. In the show, Haruhi says "You can stop by afterwards and get a copy of the songs". The next day, the CD with those songs were on sale in Japan (and MP3s were on the 'net. I have 'em on my iPod). When I went to Japan, I actually went to a couple of the places shown in the anime, and their anime representation is pretty accurate.

The Phoenix Wright parody in one of the middle episodes is also one of my favourite moments.

I heard they cut the production on this show short to work on another show that's on TV now. There are a lot of loose ends in the story so far (like the talking cat)

This is definitely in my 'top 3 anime of the year'. I was surprised when ADV licensed this one, they snapped it up pretty quick. It's on my 'DVDs to buy' list.

Edit: They're actually making a Suzumiya Haruhi Phoenix Wright fan game. Wow
    http://xcomp.gamebrink.com/?p=304
    Last edited by JKTrix; 12-04-2006 at 03:29 PM.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As I understand it, the case with the talking cat (and other things that showed up in that episode) is (SPOILER)Haruhi made it happen because she wanted it to. She wanted the cat to talk, so it did, just like on one of the parts, Mikuru attempts to "use" the Mikuru beam and it actually happens, again because Haruhi wanted it to.

Also, apparently they've confirmed that a second season is in production, it's supposed to be out in Fall 2007.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

That explanation made sense to me, I hadn't quite thought of it that way :P I'll have to watch that episode again to check out the beam though, all I can remember is the hilariously cheesy zigzags.

That first episode was gold, I don't think I've ever laughed so much at a TV show.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Look for the part where she calls out the attack, she screams and there's a yellow flash. I believe the camera shakes and then goes out as well.

I actually saw the first episode after the second episode (the actual episode 1). My girlfriend was afraid that I wouldn't like it until I knew what was behind it, as is the case with a lot of people who hate it until after they see the second episode to understand the first. Personally I think that I'd have loved it even after seeing it first, but knowing some of the characters did help.

I liked it. It was very original and I liked it's a normal high school life anime....where one person wants crazy things to happen, so they end up doing so. XD

I liked most of it, but I especially liked the episode with the video game showdown. XD
    This space intentionally left blank.

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The video game showdown was awesome, especially the transition between beeping computer music and a swelling orchestral score of the same music.

I think this show has the most CDs-to-episodes out of any series, I recall hearing that it had about 6 of 'em.