Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading

Default Reading

Basically, this topic deals with books that you are currently reading. But there are a few more reasons I started this specific topic. If a moderator wants to add the whole "(One post per ten posts)" thing onto the topic, feel free.

Anyway, for the first part of the topic:

I am currently reading Servant of the Shard by R.A. Salvatore. I am not that far into it as I have a hard time finding time to sit down and read for any great length, but I am sure it will be a great book. The majority of the things I have read by Salvatore turn out to be incredible, so I have high hopes for it. Can't go wrong with Entreri and Jarlaxle anyway.

Now for the main reason I started this topic. I didn't suspect a lot of people here would be able to help me out, which is why I added the first bit. Anyway, this part deals with my need for a recommendation or two on a book. More specifically, Goethe's Faust.

I have heard nothing but great things about this book. However, with those great things, I have noticed a lot of people saying that it is both an incredibly intelligent book and an incredibly difficult read, how true those both are is not for me to say, which is why I turn to the people here. Has anyone ever read Faust? Could you recommend a specific translation that I should look into?

I am currently looking at Kaufmann's translation, which is being heralded as "the best translation available.". Is there truth in that statement?

----

For those not interested in reading long posts, I offer you an abridged version:

What book are you currently reading? I am reading Servant of the Shard by R.A. Salvatore. Good book.

Could you recommend a translation for Goethe's Faust? Would you recommend reading Faust at all?

That should do it.

Ciddieless since 2004

Just finished Hogfather (Terry Pratchett) last night. Now I gotta get started on A Clash of Kings (George R.R. Martin).

And after that... Roadside Picnic (Arkady and Boris Strugatsky), maybe.
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I am currently reading Hunter S. Thompson’s The Rum Diary.

I'm currently reading:

• Assassin's Quest - Robin Hobb
    • The Thousand Orcs - R.A. Salvatore
    • The Harsh Cry Of The Heron - Lian Hearn
    I know it's weird that I have listed more than one. But when I read the first page of something I carry on...then end up halfway through the book! Then when I manage to put that down, a few days go by I find another to get engrossed into! And so on.

I'm definetly sticking to one at the moment. I hid the other two.
    A coward dies a thousand deaths. A soldier only dies ONCE

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Tupac Shakur: Legacy by Jamal Joesph

Str8 Pimpin'

'Waking The Dead' - John Eldredge. I've only just finished reading it, but I have nothing else to read (once again).
    Last edited by Rusty; 12-06-2006 at 01:55 AM.

Blog Entries

I amr eading The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Good book so far. been taking me a bit of time since I've found it hard to find the time to read

I finished reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter yesterday. When I came home I found that someone had sent me a copy of Armistead Maupin's The Night Listener as an early Christmas present, so I started reading it.

So far it feels like Dear Mr. Henshaw for dirty old gays, but I'm guessing it picks up later.

EDIT: As always, I'm also reading an assload of comic books whenever I have a few minutes. :D

Blog Entries

No time to read novels with EoFF alive and running like a regularly oiled Diesel motor.

But I read Faust out of an english book, and I imagine that any translation is fine. It's actually an very interesting read, in my opinion. I have not read the other Faust - Dr. Faustus (There's two versions, and I can't remember which is more sophisticated. But I read Goethe's), and that one is also pretty much a must-read for ya'll literary types.

I have recently bought what is called one of the greatest novels of the 20th century, but I lost it somewhere, and I can't remember the name of the book. All Quiet on the Western Front. I want to read it. But where the heck is it? *looks under matress on the floor because doesn't have a bed*
    Last edited by Martyr; 12-05-2006 at 10:01 PM.

Reno's my man! <3 Fire_Emblem776's Avatar

Oliver Twist, ahh whats the story Wishbone ^_^

For school:

Euripides - "Cyclops"
    Marc Levinson - "The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger"

For recreation:

Charles Dickson - "Great Expectations"
    Robertson Davies - "5th Business"

I'm currently reading Nabokov's 'Lolita'. I've read it many times while in college, it's one of my all-time favorites.
    Life is never constant, but love should never be uncertain.

:mog:

Which FF Character Are You?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I recently finished Wicked by Gregory Maguire. It was... interesting to say the least. Not at all what I was expecting though.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I'm currently in the process of reading EDIT: Knife of Dreams (WOT Book 11) at a breakneck pace (I usually take about two months to get through a book of that size, almost 900 pages of teeny weeny writing, but I've reading on the tube and before going to bed, which is about three hours worth a day), and I love the fact that things are actually happening in this book. Of course it probably won't compare to the last in the series (it is (SPOILER)the end of the world after all), but for now I'll enjoy this, though I have a while to wait, since 12 ain't coming out until 2008 time.

Anyone got any recommendations for novels? I already have New Spring in the WoT series, and the complete LotR.
    Last edited by Captain Maxx Power; 12-06-2006 at 07:04 PM.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Still reading Dante's Devine Comedy. (Dante Aligheiri - The Inferno - Purgitorio - Paridiso (sp) )

And I'm also reading The Perennial Philosophy - Aldous Huxley.