This is only my theory, and it is something I have been studying since probably my 5th time of playing this game (I lost count now) but this is why, the weapons seam drawn towards certain places.

The Weapons where assigned different “missions”.

This was done by Gaia when they were released recently, There missions will be different depending on the current situation.

I also believe that Ultimate Weapon, was the first Weapon to be made, and that the others where only just made. (I.e. UW has been around since Jenova first attacked Gaia, but the others were created recently)

These are what I think these missions are.

??? Weapon

Mission: To remove Shinra. As they are causing problems for the planet.

I may be wrong about this as the weapon was killed before it could actually do anything, and I don’t find anything else wrong with Junon.

(Note this Weapon is often referred to as “Sapphire Weapon” This is not stated in the game.)

Diamond Weapon

Mission: To destroy Mako reactors.

This seams more probable, Mako is destroying the planet In a sense. It is logical Midgar would be it’s first target. As it has about 8 reactors (Though, probably a few were already destroyed by AVALANCHE).

Ultimate Weapon

Mission: To kill Jenova

This is why I think this is the first Weapon, and that others where created recently. Both Hojo and Gast seam to imply that there is only one weapon, and this is the one.

Obviously UW was created to kill Jenova, but was never used. This is still it’s mission. When Cloud is in Midal the Weapon attacks the place for seemingly no reason – there are no reactors, or anything potentially harmful to the planet.

However Cloud has a “Jenova Cell” inside him.

I think UW can sense Jenova’s Cells as that would give away where she is. Basically this attracted the Weapon to Midal.

Later on it will try to attack various places. Some of them are Jenova related (North Cave, Nibelheim, The others are harder to decide)

Emerald Weapon

Mission: Probably the Underwater Reactor.

This is hard to theorise as it hasn’t attacked anything, but since it’s near the UWR that makes more sense. I can’t think of anything Else.

Rugby Weapon

Mission: Undetermined

This is harder as it is never in a place that could hurt the planet. However since the Gold Saucer is built by Shinra, there’s a chance it is powered by Mako.

It is also possible that it is a back up for Ultimate Weapon as it arrives once that weapons dead.

What you make of this?