Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Rings Question: Is Samwise Gamgee Gay?

I've always seen Sam as the ultimate hero of the series, frankly.

A lot of good points have been made here, and I think the most important one has to do with loyalty. The bond that Frodo and Sam have, and all the fellowship, is a bond that you often see in comrades in arms. The sort of bond that makes people brothers and sisters through battle and war, willing to literally die for one another. It IS love, but love in the purest form, that you love someone so much you'd give up your life for them. There isn't a hint about any sort of sexual love between the characters, but it is love and devotion to keeping the other alive.

There is also the point raised about class, and it's an interesting one. Sam has sometimes been described as a dog to Frodo's master, that he is always there and ready to do what it takes and is loyal because Frodo has shown him kindness, a kindness that most masters don't have to show to their dogs for example. In the books it seems much more pronounced that Sam and Frodo are of different classes, so I think a more apt comparison is the noble versus servant analogy that has been floated and the fact that Frodo who seems of higher status would treat Sam as an equal creates such a fierce devotion that it becomes love for him, love for him to succeed and for him to somehow repay all the kindness.

Take care all.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Man View Post
    Maybe Tolkein was just trying to make her like some kind of stereotypical, perfect woman of the 19th Century.

I thought Arwen was alright. Perhaps Tolkein just wanted her to be very classical.

I personally think Rosie is the hottest chick in the LotR. Even if she is a Hobbit (Devil Man not too fussy )
    Clearly not, despite your views and statements otherwise; something involving dead-hot, drop-gorgeous women.

Immortality is hardly perfection. By all means, it is the precise opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Clearly not, despite your views and statements otherwise; something involving dead-hot, drop-gorgeous women.

Immortality is hardly perfection. By all means, it is the precise opposite.
    In your opinion that is.

In other peoples opinions, it is perfection.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Emo isn't perfection. Far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Emo isn't perfection. Far from it.
    You got me there

Yeah, point conceded. Immortality probably is not perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by White Raven View Post
    This thread makes me think of one of my favourite movie quotes of 2006. I'll just quote what Kevin Weisman says because what Randal says is quite explicit and would ruin it's magic if I censored it:

Hobbit Lover: "Hey *explicit*, Sam and Frodo aren't gay! They're hobbits!"

And for all of those that have seen this movie, I totally agree with Randal's argument.

hahah yeah that was a great line. i disagree with the argument but whatever....they just have a brotherly love if you ask me, sam obviously either feels more strongly or talks more openly about it. the whole end of the world thing might force some people to latch on more strongly to a friend so i chalk part of it up to that too.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the main reason why he came off as homosexual is because they were far away from home, not knowing if they were going to survive long enough to see the next day. Sam and Frodo are BEST friends, almost like brothers, and it's natural for people to cling to each other for comfort when you're wandering into the unknown and when tomorrow is uncertain.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just because he married a girl and had kids with her, that doesn't mean he can't be a homosexual. People still do that today.

Also, Sam and Frodo weren't best friends before the events of the books/movies. At least I;m pretty sure of that....

I am going to just leave it at I don't care about Sam either way, he could have a gay orgy with some other hobbits and I would just say, "that's gross."

Banned

Anyone in the whole Lord of the Rings story can be gay.

Also, Ian McKellen, the guy who played as Gandalf in the movie, is gay IRL.

Blog Entries

The actor who plays Sam is hot in RL with beard.

o o;;;;;
    now safe beneath their wisdom, and their feet;
    here i will teach you truly how, to sleep.

You have to remember that Sam and Frodo grew up together in a small community. They were like brothers to one another. And the brotherly love they had for eachother was brought out to the open because they were going through such hardships.

Hardships like they were going through will bring people who truly care for eachother closer together. And will drive people who don't truly care for eachother further apart.

Sam and Frodo probably wouldn't have acted like that if they were just living normal lives. But because they were going through such difficult times the brotherly love they had for eachother was brought out in the open.

Yes. That's it. Sam is incredibly gay. :rolleyes2

Nah, he's not gay. He just loves his master very much.

Quote Originally Posted by shawynie View Post
    The actor who plays Sam is hot in RL with beard.

o o;;;;;
    hope your a guy...

Grin

No, he's not.

1) Tolkein was an ultra-religious Christian who would never make one of the characters homosexual.
    2) Just because Sam is close to his friend Frodo doesn't make him or Frodo gay. It's called friendship. Guys now adays are just too insecure with themselves to ever be that close. It's kind of sad.