Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Backwards Compatibility Important To You?

Moomba Is Backwards Compatibility Important To You?

Ya, simple Topic.

For you, is it important that future generations of consoles are backwards compatible?

For me... yes. Yes it is.

Because I have a lot of games spread across numerous consoles. The consoles I actually have are PS2, XBox, XBox 360, GameCube, Nintendo 64, DreamCast, and some others too...

And I hate it when I have to switch consoles to play certain games. Example. I have DreamFall: The Longest Journey on the Xbox. It is a beautiful game but it isn't backwards compatible on the XBox 360 yet. So I have to pull out all the cables for the XBox 360 and plug in my ugly old XBox just to play that game and it really is a lot of hassle because of all the wiring and cabling. I'd rather just throw my XBox outta the window and play all my old XBox games on the 360.

So for me it's a big deal and I want all future consoles to hopefully be backwards compatible. Because then it would be easy to play all my old games in an instant instead of having to constantly switch consoles and mess around with wiring and cabling.

But...

More importantly...

Do YOU give a damn?

Discuss Plz.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

With Playstation and XBox, yes. It's very important to me. With Nintendo I still own the previous systems so it really makes no difference, but I don't want to take up even more space with multiple PS and XBox systems when it's entirely possibly for them to use backwards compatability.

Blog Entries

Well, in case my older systems die out on me, I suppose having a newer substitute wouldn't hurt.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

With a PS2, I definitely want the system to be backwards compatible so that I can also play PSX games with it. I also wish PC games were backwards compatible. The games of the DOS era usually don't work too well in Windows XP or so. :/
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Yes, it matters to me. It is not a huge issue with me, but I like to play my old games and new ones all in one neat little system. Not have a sea of tangled wires and controllers to deal with.
    Last edited by Ryth; 12-06-2006 at 01:15 PM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD View Post
    With a PS2, I definitely want the system to be backwards compatible so that I can also play PSX games with it. I also wish PC games were backwards compatible. The games of the DOS era usually don't work too well in Windows XP or so. :/
    You seem to be in need of DosBox.

Also, backwards compatibility isn't all that important to me. It doesn't make or break a system, that's for sure. However, it saves space around my TV, and it's nice when the older system eventually fails (though I have a feeling my PS will last longer than my PS2 :p).
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Definitely. I have a large collection of games and I want to bring all of those over to the new system. That way, things just won't get cluttered. Plus I get cash for my old systems that I trade in. ^_^

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Definitely. It's a nice option to have, especially if you are trying to get into people's heads that old-school games are just as valid as new-school games. Money is also a second factor.

Ohh, I will love the day that I can play Diddy Kong Racing on the Ninetendo consoles, instead of using Emulator.

Why yes Devil Man, yes I do feel it's very important to me.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Why yes Devil Man, yes I do feel it's very important to me.
    Great news! :monster2:

I really don't care for Xbox, so I can't say. As for Nintendo, I'm glad that they are, but if they weren't it wouldn't change my opinion that much. Then again, that is one thing that makes it awesome... as for Playstation, I have a PSX, and I don't have a PS2. I probably won't be getting a PS3 any time soon, but considering the price of the PS3, they'd better damn well make that thing backwards compatable.
    The project that was awesome, has fallen apart... oh well.

Its easier that way, so yeah. But I have always had to keep my other console when it comes to Playstation. Until Im able to mod my PS3 Ill have to have my PS2 by its side. Which is a drag.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Definitely. It's a nice option to have, especially if you are trying to get into people's heads that old-school games are just as valid as new-school games. Money is also a second factor.

Ohh, I will love the day that I can play Diddy Kong Racing on the Ninetendo consoles, instead of using Emulator.
    You know you're technically emulating it with the Wii too, right? :p

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Its easier that way, so yeah. But I have always had to keep my other console when it comes to Playstation. Until Im able to mod my PS3 Ill have to have my PS2 by its side. Which is a drag.
    Modded PS2 > regular PS3. ;]
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

It'd make all life easier for me. Like I have PS2 and Xbox, I am very comfortable by playing PS1 games on PS2 console, I wish they can do that with every new console.
    I <3 you Polaris
    ~Antratica forum~ You know you want to join =p

Quote Originally Posted by Kryton87 View Post
    I really don't care for Xbox, so I can't say. As for Nintendo, I'm glad that they are, but if they weren't it wouldn't change my opinion that much. Then again, that is one thing that makes it awesome... as for Playstation, I have a PSX, and I don't have a PS2. I probably won't be getting a PS3 any time soon, but considering the price of the PS3, they'd better damn well make that thing backwards compatable.
    It is, so don't worry.

Anyway, I love backwords compabilty.
    Otherwise, I coulden't play FFIX
    I LIVE!!!!! AGAIN!