Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Child Arrested for Opening Christmas Present Early

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Just plain stupid the parent obviously doesn't know how to raise a child I knew she was a young mother 27 mm mm.

Yellow Winged Angel

That's completely overdoing it. She has to find better ways to discipline her child, and calm down as well. Why follow through with the threat of calling the police after he gave it back too? Bad parenting.
    Last edited by Vincent, Thunder God; 12-09-2006 at 12:36 AM.

Touché,Threeché,SPAMATION Monster Hunt's Avatar

Hahahaha.

This is priceless. The police, the mother and the guy is stupid!
    was all like to who was acctually feeling due to the fact that :oscar: & :frylock: couldn't go to his b'day party. patted him on the back and :mog: said there's always next year. felt more , felt , but :moose: (who knows when (as the person he is) he came in) was more of a . :magus: jumped in and told that no one really likes him. BROKEN ran everyone over with a :sophia:. So lived happily ever after, especially after he had with :rsl:
    The end!

66% of sig statistics are fake- and so is this one.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I wouldn't call the police, that's just a waste of their resources which could be used to get real criminals instead. It is not the polices responsibility to raise a child.

I would definitely punish the kid in my own way though, such as a significally reduced amount of christmas presents.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Because he didn't commit a crime. There's a difference between actually commiting a crime and 'technically' commiting a crime. Opening a Christmas present early isn't a crime, at all, period. If the mother wanted to get the police involved to scare him that's one thing but he was charged with a crime. That's ridiculous.

I also think she should have waited for him to do something that actually resembled a crime in some way before she called the police, but that's just me.
    Exactly, it was his present, so he wasn't technically stealing it. Calling the police was stupid, and the police were even stupider for arresting the kid for opening a present early. She should have called them when he actually did something worthy of jail time.

In this case, all the kid did was whine and then when he didn't have his way he opened his present. That's all. And it still doesn't qualify as stealing/invading privacy/whatever since it was his to begin with.

I'd say the mom should have been arrested way before the child was. I mean, if this kid was indeed "messed up in the head" then no doubt it's because of his mom. :rolleyes2 People put way too much blame on kids these days.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

There is really nothing I can do but inwardly chuckle after reading this article. The whole situation, including the people involved, is strangely humorous in that sad and pathetic way...

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine View Post
    Why isn't it? Even I think it was okay and I think everything most parents due is wrong.
    Because he didn't commit a crime. There's a difference between actually commiting a crime and 'technically' commiting a crime. Opening a Christmas present early isn't a crime, at all, period. If the mother wanted to get the police involved to scare him that's one thing but he was charged with a crime. That's ridiculous.

I also think she should have waited for him to do something that actually resembled a crime in some way before she called the police, but that's just me.
    I agree. Aside from the "charging a kid with a crime for something so petty", I find getting the cops involved in this out of line. Like the cops don't actually have, ya know, other responsibilities. This is ridiculous. :rolleyes2

the kid desreved it, but i didnt know the police would arrest someone for something so..well something so silly!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLadyNyara View Post
    Aside from the "charging a kid with a crime for something so petty"
    That would be why he was charged with petty larceny .

Sure, it was a waste of resources, but who's to say the police would've used that time productively anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Astronite
    Exactly, it was his present, so he wasn't technically stealing it.
    So you can never steal from your parents? You can. An example is breaking and entering while parents are away on holiday and taking their tv and a ton of other stuff. Its happened to my aunt and I think her son got community service for it, or 3 months in jail. I can't really remember the specifics.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

If I recall right the present is still the property of the giver until it is given(Christmas day in most cases). Thus, it was not his. And thus he did indeed perform petty larcenry.

Anyways a crime was committed so the police were indeed just doing there job. Still this is pretty hilarious just because at face value(before looking at the law behind it) it sounds absurb .

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

It's absurd regardless. This is a discipline problem, not a law enforcement one.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Well a crime had been committed.. and if the one who the crime is commited against wished to involve the law then it is indeed a law enforcement problem. Maybe I just got a bit simpler view on it, but it doesn't seem absurd to me if cops are called in in response to an illegal action, even if it is a minor one.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

I agree with nic0tine. I've opened all my presents early and my parents didn't mind. They never saw the point in waiting for gifts, and frankly neither do I, so this case has my shaking my head more than anything. The kid's initial past shouldn't have been a factor, either. I think both the parents and police are at fault really; this act doesn't really constitute larceny to me.

The idiocy of some people never ceases to astound.

This is perfectly legitamate. The mother is right in seeking some kind of help. The child shows several signs of anti-social personality disorder in which the symptoms include "Inabilty to tell right from wrong" and "No feelings of remorse." These symptoms are often evident before the age of five.
    Opening a Christmas present is one thing, but shoplifting, stealing money, and violence are much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by DSM-IV
    failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
    deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
    impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
    irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated fights or assaults (both physically or mentally)
    reckless disregard for safety of self or others
    consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain steady work or honor financial obligations
    lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another
    Sigless

Hey, the kid never listened, the mom got tired of his crap and literally laid down the law. I'm behind her actions 110%!