Thread: New Jobs

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I merged your thread with the one I made a while back. See above for my ideas.

There already is a berserk job ability!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
    Illusionist
    Weapon: Staves, Rods.
    Traits:
    Corrupt Emulation Level 5, 30, 45, 60, 75.
    Damage Spark Delay = 480
    Damage Spark Delay with Corrupt Emulation I [Illusionist Lv5] 400
    Damage Spark Delay with Corrupt Emulation II [Illusionist Lv15] 380
    Damage Spark Delay with Corrupt Emulation III [Illusionist Lv30] 360
    Damage Spark Delay with Corrupt Emulation IV [Illusionist Lv45] 340
    Damage Spark Delay with Corrupt Emulation V [Illusionist Lv60] 320
    Damage Spark Delay with Corrupt Emulation VI [Illusionist Lv75] 300

Magic Corruption - 10 – Spells you cast will sometimes have half cost.

Max MP Boost - 15, 34, 54, 69. – Obviously a buff of MP.

Overwhelming Phantasm - 50, 70. – Overwhelming Phantasm happens at random times. But deals exceptional additional damage (same element as current Stream/s active) aside from elemental streaming.

Abilities:
    N/A … gimme like 293819283843292 seconds to make one…

2 Hour ability [Amplify Phantasm]: For duration. Phantasm Streaming deals Magic Bursts each hit.

I am writing up Abilities as we speak
    Still working on it n_n

Illusionist
    Traits:
    Corrupt Emulation Level 5, 30, 45, 60, 75 [Merit].
    Damage Spark Delay = 480

Overwhelming Phantasm - 50, 70. – Overwhelming Phantasm happens at random times. But deals exceptional additional damage (same element as current Stream/s active) aside from elemental streaming.

Abilities:
    Reckless Phantasm – 1 – Will begin streaming elemental damage over-time (element chosen is a random choice, element chosen will never be one the enemy is immune to or can absorb).

Cataclysm Illusion – 1 – Will begin streaming Earth damage over-time.

Torrent Illusion – 5 – Will begin streaming Water damage over-time.

Wind Burst Illusion – 9 – Will begin streaming Wind damage over-time.

Inferno Illusion – 13 – Will begin streaming Fire damage over-time.

Frost Bite Illusion – 17 – Will begin streaming Ice damage over-time.

Bullet Spire Illusion – 21 – Will begin streaming Lightning damage over-time.

Twilight Illusion – 29 – Will begin streaming either Light or Dark (By chance per stream release) damage over-time.

Celestial Wings Illusion – 33 – Will begin streaming Light damage over-time.

Grim Sorrow Illusion – 37 – Will begin streaming Dark damage over-time.

Diamond Hail Illusion - 41 - Will begin streaming Null-Elemental damage over-time.

Chaos Emulation - 49 - For a short duration you can activate up to three Illusions [Includes cooldown time]

Illusions of Hope - 53 - Gives the party a regen-like effect for a duration [Can use whilst streaming] [Includes cooldown time]

2 Hour ability [Amplify Phantasm]: For duration. Phantasm Streaming deals Magic Bursts each hit.
    Last edited by Markus. D; 03-05-2007 at 05:02 AM.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Yeah I don't think Berserker would work really, Beastmaster has Berserkers AF and Warrior has it's abilities... So um, BST/WAR=BER? lol

I like the Geomancer idea and the Chemist idea, but I think if they introduce Chemist it should have elements of alchemists too. They shouldn't rename it alchemist, because alchemy is a guild, but it should have mix like job abilities, or just other abilities that are directly linked to your crafting skill.
    For example, you could create weapons by combining different items from your inventory, using the job ability "mix" or maybe "synth" would be more relevant to FFXI. After making them with the ja, they're tossed at the target as an ability rather than an item...
    Mmm, I think Geomancer would be a good introduction to the game. We are kinda running out of reliable healers really. The only downside is that it would be expensive and probably require crafting if my idea was implemented.

It's like a mage class that uses items instead of MP.

Heheh, they could equip any item in the ranged slot, and throw it like Amarant does :P
    jkhkjg

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

If Mime was implemented well, it would be a beautiful thing. It would be the opposite of Beastmaster in that you would rely heavily on a party to bring out the best in you.

I'd be a MIM in a heartbeat.

A little bit old, but I couldn't refuse the chance to evaluate some of the new job ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Geomancer
    Weapon - Axe/Great Axe
    Traits/Abilities - Geomancers specialize in using the terrain to assist them in fighting, so I thought it would be cool if they had a different set of abilities for different fighting zones. They could range from attack to support depending on the zone. So maybe in the desert a GEO would have some sand based attacks that would blind and confuse the enemy, while in a cavern there would be some powerful cave-in attacks.
    Possible subjobs - /WAR seems like a safe bet, but maybe it would depend on the zone you were going to.
    2 hour ability - Global Influence, allows for geomancy from all areas to be used.
    Final thought - There would have to be some kind of limit to how many geomancy attacks you could use in an interval, a possible recast delay or even tying them to MP. I dunno.
    GEO would be a nice job to see in FFXI, but it is quite difficult to actually get it to work. GEOs can use the terrain to attack, but how exactly would it work? Would it be based on the general area or on the ground type the GEO is standing on? Would the weather change the effects of geomancy? Also, won't geomancy be terrible overall? People like to fight an enemy using elementals of their weakness. With the GEO job, chances are that you'll be using geomancy on enemies that are resistant to that element.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Chemist
    Weapon - Dagger/Gun
    Traits/Abilities - Chemists specialize in using items, so they would get traits that would boost that ability. Possibly one set of traits that boost the potency of an item, and another set that lowers the consumption rate for an item. For example, a trait that gives you a 50% chance of keeping the item after you use it. That % could start out low and go up as you level. There could also be a set of unique items for CHM that could do various things, like elemental damage or whatever.
    Possible subjobs - Maybe /WHM or /BLM
    2 hour ability - Item Lore, allows for unlimited item (certain items) use for 30 seconds.
    Final thought - This job could get expensive, but it could act as an alternate healer or elemental DD. Maybe the chance of keeping the items might help, though I'm not sure because I don't ever buy healing items. If they're really expensive you could just boost up the keep item rate to like 75% or something.
    The special ability you've given to the CHM job are really cheap. With the ability to not only boost the power of items, but to also have them have a chance to not be consumed allows for CHMs to be able to heal the party easily (and somewhat cheaply) at higher levels. Considering the fact that items are faster than spells, and you've got a healer that really makes healing very quick, thus taking some balance away from the game (esp. w/ its 2-hour and Ethers).

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades View Post
    A Sage based on the Job from FF III would be nice. He could learn every spell and summon from the game and could use Staves and Rods

And his two hour ability can be Triple Cast
    Too cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNUMBERS View Post
    Time Mage

They would probably have to implement a Time Magic skill for this one and then lower the Time Magic Skill of other mages, except of course the Time Mage. Time Magic effects how long the spell will last much like Enhancement and Enfeebling skill rolled into one.

Traits:
    Time Magic Bonus - Just a little boost early on so that Time Mages are able to make better use of Time Magic early on (Because the difference in Skills early on don't matter so much as they do later on)

Resist Gravity - Time Mage resisting Time Magic, makes sense to me.

Abilities
    Return (2 hour) - This ability returns the Time Mage to the exact location and state (Including exp gains and loses status effects HP and MP, but excluding Items Gil etc) 10 minutes in the past (If your character hasn't been a Time Mage for 10 minutes your character Returns to the state when he/she became a Time Mage)

Spells
    Haste, Haste II, Slow, Slow II, Reflect, Demi, Demi II, Gravity, Hastega, Slowga, Stop.

The Demi spells Reduce a percentage of HP from the opponent, depending on HP, mobs will have different resistances to this Spell.

Slowga and Hastega are pretty self explanatory, but I think Hastega should be a spell earned with Merits (To give Time Mages a nice place Endgame)

Reflect could be a short lasting Spell with a long cast and recast time (To prevent people beating magic using mobs too easily) that Reflects all Spells back at the caster.

Conclusion: Some of the stuff I added here would probably be difficult to implement, such as "Return" and maybe slicing up the magicks into a new catagory but I think it could be made to be a nice (By "nice" I mean not over-powered) Support/Enfeeble type job. It would be pretty helpfull as a Subjob too, for extra Time Magic/Time Magic skill.
    Your TMG is really limted when it comes to skills. I like what you did with Reflect and Hastega, but Return is a pretty crappy 2 hour; the main problem with it, being that it only works on the TMG, which really can't do much in the way of support. Though with WHM or RDM as a sub, Return could become much more useful (but a little bit overpowered as well). Also, how does Demi work? If it deals damage by percent, it would be way too overpowered, if not, then it becomes a non-elemental or dark damaging spell.

Quote Originally Posted by dodhungry View Post
    Druid
    Weapon: Staves, Swords, Daggers, Rod
    Traits/Abilities: I think it would be cool to have a character that could Morph into different mobs in the game. Yes Blu can learn the abilites but be able to morph into the mob would be a different lvl of play. Also having some of the lower white and black magic would help make this class more effective. Of course as you gain in lvl the more powerful the mob you could morph into.

2 Hour: I think the two hour again would be a morphing ablilty. Except you could morph into something uber powerful like a wyvern. Only catch is it would last only a short time
    DRU seems like a combo between the BST and the BLU.

Quote Originally Posted by dodhungry View Post
    Necromancer:
    Weapon: Axe, Sword, ect.
    Traits/ Abilities: Be able to call up the undead and use them for battle. How self explainatory is that. So this would be a job alternate to smn.
    2 Hour: Feirce Deity (spelling?) There was a spell in the old Baldurs Gate series that was named something like this that summoned a very powerful undead Monster. Basicly samething here but he dose not stick around like other summons it would only last like a min or so.
    The PUP is a better version of your NEC, which you really didn't describe well.

Quote Originally Posted by No.78 View Post
    Thought this thread should exist, this is for you to share your original ideas on new jobs you'd think would fit into FFXI well... Here are mine.

Name: Haven't really thought of one
    General Idea: This job starts out as a basic melee, no specific goodness in anything, just a general all rounder, can't learn any spells. When you get your first level, you get a set of points to manually distribute amongst your stats... In other words, you build yourself.
    This job will give you the ability to learn different spells and such depending on your stat distribution, your stat distribution will affect what weapons you're good with and etc. To make this job more unique, there will be unique abilities you learn depending on your stats. This also means some people will have different abilities to others, and will sometimes be unable to learn certain things, ever.
    I think this job would make an excellent support job for anything...
    2 hour ability: Enhance- Increases the power of everyone in the aoe partys job abilities for 1 minute. Resets 2hrs.
    I like this idea, but I need more details and the 2-Hour is way too overpowered. Basically, why would someone use this class instead of using a class specialized toward a specific type of art, especially one that has passive skills and abilities that are easily defined?

Quote Originally Posted by No.78 View Post
    Name: Mimic
    General Idea: (similar idea to previously stated) This job involves using the 2hr "mimic", you can target monsters, wyverns, puppets and people with this, and gain all of their abilities. Mimic is only succesful if the person is within a +/- 1 level range however.
    This lasts untill you next use mimic, where your moveset is replaced with the new moves.
    You can permanently learn anything, by using it a certain amount of times. Learning a move takes away points, and when all your points are gone you can't permanently learn a move ever again (unless you merit new points or whatever). This is a similar idea to previous in the respect you sort of create your own job with it.
    2 hour: Mimic- Copies the targets abilities and magic, but does not copy stats or 2hr ability. Only works on equal level.
    Mimic is a 2-Hour ability and the only ability the MIM has. It seems like a smart idea since the MIM would gain the abilities of those it controls, but what happens if the MIM wants to change targets? It would take them 2-hours for the MIMs to utilize the only skill they have and possibly stay with a skill set they don't like or have the need for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
    Illusionist
    Traits:
    Corrupt Emulation Level 5, 30, 45, 60, 75 [Merit].
    Damage Spark Delay = 480

Abilities:
    Reckless Phantasm – 1 – Will begin streaming elemental damage over-time (element chosen is a random choice, element chosen will never be one the enemy is immune to or can absorb).

Cataclysm Illusion – 1 – Will begin streaming Earth damage over-time.

Torrent Illusion – 5 – Will begin streaming Water damage over-time.

Wind Burst Illusion – 9 – Will begin streaming Wind damage over-time.

Inferno Illusion – 13 – Will begin streaming Fire damage over-time.

Frost Bite Illusion – 17 – Will begin streaming Ice damage over-time.

Bullet Spire Illusion – 21 – Will begin streaming Lightning damage over-time.

Twilight Illusion – 29 – Will begin streaming either Light or Dark (By chance per stream release) damage over-time.

Celestial Wings Illusion – 33 – Will begin streaming Light damage over-time.

Grim Sorrow Illusion – 37 – Will begin streaming Dark damage over-time.

Diamond Hail Illusion - 41 - Will begin streaming Null-Elemental damage over-time.

Chaos Emulation - 49 - For a short duration you can activate up to three Illusions [Includes cooldown time]

Illusions of Hope - 53 - Gives the party a regen-like effect for a duration [Can use whilst streaming] [Includes cooldown time]

I can't really evaluate this class because I don't know what streaming is...
    The things I could not do yesterday, I shall not fear to attempt today, for I shall never give up on tomorrow. - Alexia Lynn Elesius (Wild ARMs Crossfire)

I like this idea, but I need more details and the 2-Hour is way too overpowered. Basically, why would someone use this class instead of using a class specialized toward a specific type of art, especially one that has passive skills and abilities that are easily defined?
    This job learns unique abilities depending on what your stat distribution is like at certain levels, it acts mainly as a job specifically suited for being a subjob, for the job you desire.
    I don't think the 2hr is overpowered when you consider the jobs limititations.

Mimic is a 2-Hour ability and the only ability the MIM has. It seems like a smart idea since the MIM would gain the abilities of those it controls, but what happens if the MIM wants to change targets? It would take them 2-hours for the MIMs to utilize the only skill they have and possibly stay with a skill set they don't like or have the need for.
    MIM can permanently learn any move if they use that move a certain number of times, learning the move takes away a certain amount of points so you can't overpower yourself. I said that already :P That way you can start to become less dependant on other peoples movesests, also, it would have some other unique job abilities that I thought of.

Example:

Manamic- Your max MP become exactly the same as the targets for a set period of time.

Staminamic- Your max HP becomes the same as the targets for a set period of time.
    jkhkjg

A Druid would be awesome..

Their two hour to be to summon a random creature that is native to the area you are located in.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I wouldn't like the idea of a MIM actually learning others' abilities. I see a MIM as a character that could use the same ability that a fellow party member just used.

The main ability would obviously be mimic. Recast time ~2:00? Mimes an action by a selected party member within a 15 second window.

Say you're in a party: WAR, THF, RDM, WHM, BLM, MIM.

All other jobs take on normal roles. As MIM, you hit Mimic and a 15 second timer starts in the game. Inside the window made by the timer, the game tracks all abilities by party members. You have 15 seconds to select a character in your party or the ability is voided. By selecting a character, you immediately begin the last action the character triggered and on the same target assuming the target is in range and all that good stuff.

WHM last cast curaga on himself. The mime then casts curaga on the WHM. WAR last used Raging Axe weapon skill. The mime then uses Raging Axe on the same mob if in range. THF last used Steal. Mime uses Steal on the same mob if in range. BLM last used... you get the idea.

Needless to say, it would probably be most used for WS and powerful spells but there would be a ton of possibilities. I don't think any self-targeting abilities should work, though (Sneak Attack, Berserk, etc.). 2 Hours should definitely not be included in the mimicable abilities, either. It would be complicated but it would keep you on your toes.

Based on new FFV:A classes :

Gladiator--A master of weaponry, but dumb as a brick.
    Role: High DD melee
    Weapons: Any (possible exclusions need apply)

Many skills would me similar to WAR. No Provoke.
    Critical Strike: Cooldown 2 mins.
    Critical strike has a 50% chance to deal quadruple damage to an enemy, but a 50% chance to confuse the user if it misses (net 25% chance of confusion).

2 Hour: Finishing Strike--The Gladiator uses an extremely powerful series of melee attacks each with a chance to put the target to sleep.
    Oracle:

Skills:
    Read Ahead:
    The Oracle makes a list pop up that is viewable to all party members of any abilities that the targeted mob is preparing to use.
    Premonition:
    The Oracle prays for an attack. The longer the prayer, the more likely it is to succeed.

2 Hour: Tarot--The Oracle pulls a random Tarot card which causes very beneficial effects to the party, or very negative effects to the monster(s).

Also: Gambler:
    Weapons: Dice--roll for semi-random damage calculated based on the power of the dice and the number rolled.

Skills:
    Pick a card:
    The gambler pulls a card out of the deck, higher cards do higher damage, face cards have chances for status effects.

Gil Toss:
    The Gambler throws gil at the opponent.

2 Hour:
    Slots--Slots have a huge assortment of randomness, ranging from Joker Doom (kills user and mob) to Lucky 7's.
    Sigless

Star gone! Shadow Staffer Recognized Member eternalshiva's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Gambler and Mimic they have in FFXI ;o it's called Corsair and Blue mage.

Too big.

Blue Mages are nothing like mimics in the way we've described them.

But I guess gamblers are similar to Corsairs.
    jkhkjg

Star gone! Shadow Staffer Recognized Member eternalshiva's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

No, Blue mage doesn't learn job abilities or spells and mimic them in -any- way >_______>
    Too big.

I quit FFXI before COR and PUP and BLU were introduced .
    Sigless

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

Your TMG is really limted when it comes to skills.
    I didn't write all the ideas in my head, just a few. I mean if I was to write out everything, it would include stats, alot more Spells, Weapons Skills available for Time Mage use, Weapons, the list goes on. I just wanted to convey the concept really. I do agree if this was to be included in the game a lot more Spells/Abilities would need to be added.

Return is a pretty crappy 2 hour; the main problem with it, being that it only works on the TMG, which really can't do much in the way of support.
    Maybe so, but it could do wonders in the way of gaining back exp from death. Combined with /WHM you could Return back after Death and Raise the party after Lv50. Who needs support when you can do awesome stuff like that?

Also, how does Demi work? If it deals damage by percent, it would be way too overpowered.
    Certain enemies are immune to Demi, generally bosses with vast amounts of HP.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNUMBERS View Post
    Certain enemies are immune to Demi, generally bosses with vast amounts of HP.
    Maybe you could also use a skill like Dark Magic to influence how much percentage is taken off. That way, low level players' skills are capped and they can't waltz up to something and drill it for 500 damage.