Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A small idea, a BIG change. (PLEASE SQUARE!!)

Default A small idea, a BIG change. (PLEASE SQUARE!!)

Why cant final fantasy be fully realistic in wardrobe, instead of half? Ok, so my shields and swords all have their own animation, but my shoes...pants, tunic, and hat don't? I equip a "ringmail" and it looks the same as a "wizard robe" ??? How bout square takes that next step and makes it just 5% more realistic so i can stop laughing at the stupidity of it....

(EverQuest did it right )

Quote Originally Posted by Young Kefka View Post
    Why cant final fantasy be fully realistic in wardrobe, instead of half? Ok, so my shields and swords all have their own animation, but my shoes...pants, tunic, and hat don't? I equip a "ringmail" and it looks the same as a "wizard robe" ??? How bout square takes that next step and makes it just 5% more realistic so i can stop laughing at the stupidity of it....

(EverQuest did it right )

It's been done in FF XI

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

i dont consider FF XI as a final fantasy... That was Square trying to make a MMORPG with an already famous name... Using some popular elements of previous FF's....

I mean a REAL FF

i dont consider FF XI as a final fantasy... That was Square trying to make a MMORPG with an already famous name... Using some popular elements of previous FF's....

I mean a REAL FF

And what do you think FF XI is? Just because it's an MMORPG doesn't mean it's not a real FF. It has a enjoyable story(yes, even MMORPGs have stories. Not the best, but enjoyable), and a feel that makes you say you are playing an FF game. You think it's been called "Final Fantasy XI" by accident? It's like saying that FF I is not a real FF, because of the fact that you control a party with no personalities whatsoever and had no breakthrough story like FF VII. Also, you said that Everquest did it right, which is also a MMORPG that is in the same vein as FF XI.

You should know by now that SE makes every FF game different. So don't go saying it's not a real FF game just because of the fact that it's a MMORPG. It's part of the series. Deal with it
    Last edited by Crossblades; 12-13-2006 at 03:14 AM.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

The one thing I have noticed from my MMORPG experience is allot of times your character will look stupid in the gear set up you are using, unless the games armor is very bland and similar.

Neither of these I want for a FF, however, creating different character sprites for 'Cloth', 'Light' ect... would probably turn out quite well. In all honestly for my Final Fantasy I don't especially want 100% realism in wardrobe. Just give all the characters cool outfits to begin with is far better.

What's the point in those items having animations if you can't even see them? Har har har...

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I imagine it'd take quite alot of space to make animations for each and every different piece of equipment.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I mean a REAL FF
    You have no authority to decide what is a real Final Fantasy or not. Square Enix has. FFXI has enough of what is needed to be classified as a Final Fantasy.

Let's take a look at this.

Just what is needed for a game to be an 'Final Fantasy'?
    Does it have to have an ATB battle system? No, the first FFs didn't have that, and neither does FFX and FFXII.
    What about a storyline? Yes, and FFXI does have one, several ones actually.
    What about airships? FFXI has got a whole lot of them.
    Cid? There's a Cid in FFXI, and he's an engineer.
    Summoned monsters? Standard FF monsters such as cactuars, imps and behemots? Sure, a ton of them in FFXI too.
    Side and subquest? Almost too many of them :p
    Can a Final Fantasy bring new elements of gameplay, and possibly big changes? Yes, most Final Fantasy games do that, in fact.

So, what's different?
    You need to pay to play. MMORPG servers cost a lot to maintain, you can't avoid this easily. Problems paying the monthly fee? Millions of people pay to play MMORPG, it doesn't seem to be a big problem. It just costs two McD meals a month after all.
    You can (and often have to) play with others. Do you think that's a negative trait?

To reply to the actual topic:
    I think it would have been nice if a character's appearance changed a bit more depending on equipment. However ,this would become rather inconsistent when we take pre-rendered movies into consideration. It would be impossible to incorporate a CG movie if the characters in it could have several different appearances. The only way to avoid this would be to stop relying on CG movies, and do everything in real-time, like Metal Gear Solid does. S-E sure love their CG movies though, so I can't see that happen just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    I imagine it'd take quite alot of space to make animations for each and every different piece of equipment.
    Good thing you wouldn't need to do that :p. You only need animations for the character, and then the appearance of that character is simply changed. Maybe you meant to say "it would take quite a lot of space to store all the equipment models and textures" :p. That's a valid point, but with blu-ray, I can't see that being a problem at all.
    Last edited by Mirage; 12-13-2006 at 01:28 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I mean a REAL FF
    That's like saying that WoW took the Warcraft name and tacked on an MMORPG to sell games.
    Sigless

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Sony took the Playstation name and tacked it on a computer to sell more units. :(
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

OMG! Nintendo puts their brand name on every one of their consoles to sell more of their units! The horror!

Vaan - "Hey, you!"

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Back on topic...

It's an intriguing premise and god knows what "White Engine" will be capable of... Persoanlly, I'm all for using nothing but in-game cutscenes. I may be the only one to say this, but I really didn't care for how the characters looked in the CG cutscenes in FFX and FFXII. I prefered the in-game models better. It may have something to do with Tidus' sudden tan and Vaan suddenly changing from slightly adrongenous to "Oh my god! That can't possibly be a man!"

It's like looking at a picture of Michael Jackson from circa 1985 and then seeing a photo of him now...

The CG cutscenes were fun in the PS era cause the system was limited, but I can't say that it's really practical now. It will probably stay for a few more games but I'm hoping that graphically, Squenix will be able to make the in-game look just as good.

People make too big a deal of how Vaan and Tidus look, I mean, does someone have to wear all black and act like a jerk all the time to be considered a real man. There was never one instance where I didn't know either Tidus or Vaan were male, so I don't see all the fuss.

In terms of the animation of armor, it doesn't really bother me. The reason they do it in MMORPG's is because it adds individuality to your character, that really isn't a concern in a single player game.

One of my big problems in X was how the character models looked so different in FMV than in gameplay mode. I don't care what ethnicity they want to make the characters, but just be consistent.

Wow, people are getting really defensive eh?

This is my point:
    Final Fantasy to ME (meaning MY opinion) is a game with a inevitably ending storyline. A main character, and 3-5 support characters... An RPG... not an MMORPG...

I aint saying it's the definite truth, thats just how i feel... Thank you for your time... my 2 cents, you dont HAVE to agree with it, just UNDERSTAND where i'm coming from.

Well, you're simply wrong. A Final Fantasy game is a game made by Squenix called Final Fantasy. That is the definite truth, like it or not.