Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Determines the Amount of Usernotes You Have?

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What determines the amount of usernotes I have is how much others post in them, silly.

Yeah. True. But posting in other peoples does seem to bring mine up, occasionally.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

What's with all this hype about the amount of user notes you have? It's not like a big amount of user notes makes you go "Yeah. ". User notes are fun to get, but the amount of user notes is just an indicative number.

Anyway, on topic, most people'll give you a user note back when you leave them one. I give one back for pretty much everyone I get. Also, being visible in the forums and other people's user note, saying funny or interesting things, might get you some action.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien View Post
    What's with all this hype about the amount of user notes you have? It's not like a big amount of user notes makes you go "Yeah. ". User notes are fun to get, but the amount of user notes is just an indicative number.
    We're really excited about user notes because it means that other people are paying attention to us. Remember that somebody actually has to go through the effort of not only clicking our profile and looking at our prof pic, but also will usually read what we have to say about ourselves, and our other user notes.

So I put lots of effort into user note work for my own sake and for the sake of others who receive them.
    (SPOILER)Well, I put a tiny bit of extra effort. I can't claim to do "lots"

(SPOILER)Remember that all us forum goers are here because we're socially starved in the real world. The smallest attention from anybody is a titillating thrill.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Abandon All Hope Fatal Impurity's Avatar

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Martyr View Post
    We're really excited about user notes because it means that other people are paying attention to us. Remember that somebody actually has to go through the effort of not only clicking our profile and looking at our prof pic, but also will usually read what we have to say about ourselves, and our other user notes.

So I put lots of effort into user note work for my own sake and for the sake of others who receive them.
    (SPOILER)Well, I put a tiny bit of extra effort. I can't claim to do "lots"

Spoiler: Remember that all us forum goers are here because we're socially starved in the real world. The smallest attention from anybody is a titillating thrill.

Thats true....basically all the internet is an electonic high school for socially impaired geeks and well usernotes is apart of that....its just about how popular you are and who you know/talk to.....

(SPOILER)On a side note i find it hilarious that martyr said titilating and SOMEHOW kept his face straight....kudos to the man!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

We're really excited about user notes because it means that other people are paying attention to us.
    If anything, that's what the individual user note does to me. The number means close to nothing to me, after all it's a number. To take that number as a measurement of popularity or attention is a bit one-dimensional, just look at Cid or BoB or, in fact, lots of veterans on the site who has a few hundred user notes if even that.

Remember that all us forum goers are here because we're socially starved in the real world. The smallest attention from anybody is a titillating thrill.
    Generalising a bit aren't we?

The Jamie Star Scenario The Jamie Star Scenario's Avatar

I think I would have more user notes if I wasn't banned from EoEO so much \o/

I think it's how much you give others usernotes. I forget to give people usernotes back, so my usernotes go up slowly xD

Blog Entries

Generalising a bit aren't we?
    Okay. I'm so socially deprived blah blah blah...

(SPOILER)You're not supposed to argue spoilers!

And on the issue of actual numbers...
    Numbers don't really matter much. I just like seeing them go up because it means that I get to read a fresh User Note.
    However, I do like watching the number go up a little bit, and there does seem to be something to having a high user note count, so, because of that I try not to post in my own notes very often. (If you're all about the numbers, then spam your notes. That works like a charm, as i've seen.)

But, I mean, if you look at Meat Puppet, the numbers are hardly relevant. He takes a different route by having conversations through user notes (It's like PM but without the deleting!). It's only mindless spam when people like me wander in.

But the real thing about User Notes is that there's a personality involved. You'll often see a user note like, "Whoa. Do I belong here?" Because user notes are a reflection, however distanced, of the person behind the user notes. And that's what makes user noting fun. It's exciting to enter the private little world of another person, so to speak, this world of user notes, and become a participant in that person's life.

So, to relevate this back onto the topic, perhaps being an interesting person might lead more people to being curious about your world and then try to enter it through user notes.

(SPOILER)Or am I full of it?

Blog Entries

I seem to get a steady flow of usernotes even though I hardly ever give them out

there was a picture here

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

AND GUESS WHO'S BEEN POSTING.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It'll be something like this.

Registration Date + Demand + Postcount x Popularity ^ How often you post in other people's usernotes.

That is, new members often get usernotes the moment they join - sometimes before they even post. The demand is where someone suggests that everyone go and post in [username]'s usernotes - even if it's the same person (hi Cid!). Postcount is obvious enough - the more posts you make, the more likely people are to know who you are. Popularity obviously will increase the chances of someone wanting to post usernotes in your profile. Finally, the biggest factor, you put it to the power of how often you post in other people's usernotes, as that means you can rocket up the ranks.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Hildy Manderville (Faerie)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Personally, I just think it's based on being Cid vs not Cid. You're making this too complicated, Danyul.

I have few usernotes, but I post in few as well, it has nothing to do with overall posts, but more about where those posts are made. If you only make them in certain topics, you won't get as many usernotes, where as if you post everywhere, and most often in general chat, you'll get more

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    What determines the amount of usernotes you have?
    Your worth as a person.