Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which version of FFV is best? PSX or GBA

Default Which version of FFV is best? PSX or GBA

Hey everyone,

been reading some posts here for the first time, and everyone seems to be really cool. I'm pretty sure I picked the best FF forum out there..

anyway, my question here... whats the best version of FFV?

when it comes to FF games, I enjoy the music more than anything.. and load times wouldn't really bother me, as I've never played the older games on the retro systems, and am a patient person .. so I'm kinda leaning towards the PSX version.

everyone seems to ranting about the new GBA version though.. is it really that much better than the psx version? I know the translation is better, and the backgrounds are better... but hows the music compared to the PSX version?

if someone with experience on both versions could give me a run down on each, that would be awesome.

thanks!

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

With my headphones plugged into my DS Lite, the music sounds perfectly fine. And the script is much better than the PS1 version, in my opinion.

i own the GBA version. i haven't played the PSX version, but a few points:

a) loading times. i played FFVI on ROM, and then later bought it for the PSX. I LOVED the rom, but found the PSX version simply unplayable. battles were so slow, and every time you load the menu just to tweak a minor detail, you were kept waiting. i'm a patient person also, but this was seriously a joke.
    b) in the PSX version, Faris apparently talks like a pirate all the time. i can't imagine how her character would be tolerable like this, although i am not speaking from experience
    c) GBA version has a bestiary, and a music player. although the sound quality is inferior, it's still good. plus headphones, as has been said!
    d) GBA version has extra jobs and an extra dungeon, so it's essentially longer and the plot is (slightly) more fleshed out!
    e) the script of the GBA version really is a joy, and you're getting the complete proper translated names for weapons / armour / spells and enemies, unlike ever before!!

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

People underrate FF V Advance's music. It's has better tracks here and there than it's SNES version. Not all of them, but I can name a few that sound simply excellent and not inferior: "The Decisive Battle" It just sounds better than the SNES, in which it sounded too soft. "Clash on the Big Bridge" not necesarily better, but transferred perfectly, what more do you want, huh? "The Final Battle" another good one. Tracks I prefered in the SNES version would be "Searching the Light" and the music of the first cave, not saying they are bad in the GBA version, just, preference...

Still, get the GBA version. Because...
    It's portable. Take 24 jobs everywhere you go. Job fun everywhere, as long as your battery lasts! Great new translation, nice face portraits, quality music (especially with headphones), optional dungeon, 5 hard optional bosses, bestiary and music player. And no loading times.

Conclusion? GBA version wins, IMHO.

GBA version all the way....Besides the fact I like the portable, the extra freatures are awesome. The Gladiator class is nice, and the extra dungeon gives you a reason to test out all your characters with all the jobs mastered. The PS1 (PSX is actually a system on its own having very little to do with the PS1) version is nice, but I like to advance version better.

Then again for the same price you either get the advance version, or the PS1 version with an extra copy of FFVI...So the PS1 version is the better deal....
    If I were a Final Fantasy Boss, I would be named something cool like Super-Ultra-Foxtrot-Omega Weapon or something cool like that...

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

GBA version. The PS port is eww.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The GBA translation is fun I rarely laugh when playing an FF game, but this one had me laughing quite a few times.

Then there's extra jobs and all that jazz. Definitely go for the GBA version. There's nothing like playing FFV on a train.

The spoon is too big! Firo Volondé's Avatar

What Levian said. My new favourite FF line is:

Bartz: What the crap was that!?
    This is a signature.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

GBA

The GBA has more things to do. Plus, can't beat a game you can take where ever you go.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

From what I've seen, I think FFVA easily beats FFV PSX. I think even FFV SNES beats FFV PSX. That's because FFV has horrible loading times on the PSX, the PSX conversion seemed quite badly done and the translation isn't really anything too good. FFVA has a pretty well developed user interface and fast-paced battles, and so far the translation has seemed pretty good, and it has also had its funny parts.

As for the GBA music, it sounds pretty good inside the game and works well with the scenes where it's played, though when you're listening to the music in the .gsf form (music extracted directly from the game), you'll notice that it could also sound a lot better. However, IIRC, the sound quality in the PSX version isn't that good, either, because of the weak conversion. The PSX version has opening and ending FMVs, but you'll be fine even without them. If you really want to see them, try searching YouTube or something.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yep, GBA is the way to go, but if you really want to play it on a console, then you can do this:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=98437

Something that was new to me a few days ago. You'll need a GameCube, though.

I purchased the GBA version today, and I have to say it beats the PSX version by a longshot. Has a better translation, battles are a bit more fast paced, and no loading times

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

I actually don't hate this game now thanks to the GBA!

I like when Galuf told Faris that if she's going to hide her chest she might as well try to act like a girl, in more or less words. This game does give me a chuckle or 80.

thanks guys! I really appreciate all your time and effort that you put in for me.

so this is what i did... first of all, I own all the psx versions, FF 1-6.. but, If I'm going to play a game.. I like to play it at its best. I don't have time to waist on a crappy version, when i know their could be a better version out their..

SO, you guys aren't going to like this.. but I downloaded the ROMS of all the GBA FF's, and compared each game to its PSone counterpart...

and low and behold.. you guys were right all along! I actually enjoyed the GBA versions MUCH more.. the translations and story ARE so much better on the GBA.. How could I forget that the most important part to a RPG is the story.. not the music =) which honestly is just as good on the GBA, if not better! The remixed tunes rock!

The graphics too are better in my opinion.. i think playing an old school game like these is made for a tiny screen.. it actually makes the details look better, and WAY less jagged and blocky then when played on a big TV.

So, I'll be ebaying my copies of FF origins, FF Anthology, and FF Chronicles, and buying the GBA versions with the money made. =)

anyone interested? =) there all complete, ORIGINAL, NON-Greatest hits versions in like new condition... how much do you think i could get?

Thanks for all your time guys