Thread: stealing

has anyone got any tips on stealing, is it true you have a better chance of stealing an item when your spirit is higher?
    becuase im trying to do a perfect game and i want to steal the mythril sword from beatrix, i know you can buy it from treno very soon but i really wanted to try and get it now
    and this also goes for the demons mail from the book guy and eikos flute from hiligigars
    its just so frustrating!!!!!!!!

WOW! omg ive just done it ive stolen the mythril sword for the very first time ! yes!!

Did anyone else ever steal it
    Last edited by Shlup; 12-15-2006 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Please do not post twice in a row.

Steal is worked out like this.

A: Random MOD (Level + Spirit)
    B: Random MOD (Enemy's level)

If A > B, the Steal will succeed. If you equip Bandit, Steal will always succeed.

If the Steal is successful, it then chooses which item you'll get. There are four options.

Rare: 1/256
    Semi-rare: 16/256
    Uncommon: 64/256
    Common: 256/256

It runs through from top to bottom, and you'll get whichever item is in the slot which is successful. If it stops on a slot for which there is no item or you have already stolen it, you'll get nothing. Master Thief increases Rare and Semi-rare to 32/256 and ignores all the empty slots.

The Mythril Sword, Fairy Flute and Demon's Mail are some of the Rare items, and the 1/256 chance of getting them is what makes them so frustrating.

Adapted from http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/final_fantasy_ix_mech.txt

Stealing is wrong.

with bandit it is not 'always' succeed. the rates just improved a bit only.
    finished: ff3ds, ff4,ff5, ff7,ff8,ff9,ff10,ff tactics and advance

With Bandit equipped the A value is set to be larger than B. The second stage of the calculations could still cause the Steal attempt to fail.