Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Playing Through For The First Time (minor spoilers, maybe)

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Mog can only learn Water Rondo in the World of Balance, so take him on a trip along the Serpent's Trench before it's too late.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There are I believe three monsters that you need to defeat before moving on with the storyline on the Floating Continent to make them available in the Veldt (I know one of them is Grenade).

Make sure to get the Water Rondo dance for Mog, you need to fight in either the Serpent Trench or the Lete River to obtain it.

Make sure to purchase Golem and Zoneseeker at the Jidoor Auction house if you haven't already. Besides teaching useful spells, these two Espers have summon effects that will be useful throughout the entire game. Zoneseeker in particular will be especially useful from now on since enemies use increasingly more powerful spells to nucleify you with.

Stupid Question: After I take Mog to the Serpent Trench, how do I get back to the airship? Is there a way, or do I have to hoof it?

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Veldt -> Serpent Trench -> Nikeah -> Phantom Forest -> Barren Falls -> Veldt

If you buy a ride on a chocobo in Nikeah, it's a pretty short trip, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Timerk View Post
    Stupid Question: After I take Mog to the Serpent Trench, how do I get back to the airship? Is there a way, or do I have to hoof it?
    That screws everyone up the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Veldt -> Serpent Trench -> Nikeah -> Phantom Forest -> Barren Falls -> Veldt

If you buy a ride on a chocobo in Nikeah, it's a pretty short trip, actually.
    Thanks, you are very helpful for an enigmatic iconoclast .

Thank you too, Roto, it was a very tough going. I walked around the Phantom Forest for like 15 min before I realized you didn't need to take the train to get to the other side :rolleyes2.

I got past Ultros and Air Force, so I am planning to get to Atma today, then go back and make sure I have everything, because my guide says once you fight Atma you can't go back anymore (I am assuming this is going to be a Link To The Past deal, but you can't go back and forth).

You'd be better off going back to the main world now and doing whatever you want to do. If you get to Atma, you'll just have to backtrack, leave, and then do the whole floating continent again anyway. (There's a hole in the continent you can use to get back to the airship)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, I never completed Gau's list I'm afraid... The Veldt theme gets on my nerves after a few days of listening to it.

Definetly head out and do a few side quests. Now's a good time to collect Strago's Lores', collect Mog's Dances, and start teaching everyone all the healing magic you have. It will come in very handy later. Also, a small hint... after the events following the battle with Atma, be patient when leaving...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    No, I never completed Gau's list I'm afraid... The Veldt theme gets on my nerves after a few days of listening to it.
    Yeah, I think it is impossible to get them all and still keep your sanity.

So, I did most everything you all suggested (except I kinda blew Strago off), and finished out the first part of the game. I beat Atma Weapon pretty easy (which I was surprised by), and I thought the part with Kefka taking over was pretty cool. It is so weird to see scenes that are so horrible acted out by cute little sprites, but I really felt bad for those people who fell in the cliff in that one town. I did get killed by that one mini-boss when I was running away, nobody told me he had auto-refect on (stupid gamefaqs guid ). I waited for Shadow and got him, he is actually pretty useful, but I need to teach him some magic when I get him again.

So I got to the island and killed Cid , then I went and picked up Sabin. I don't know how much I am going to enjoy this part of the game, because two of my best characters were Terra and Locke, and I don't think I am going to get them back for a while. I do have Sabin, though, and I finally figured out how to use Blitz. I have Edgar back too, so things are getting a little less magic intensive for Celes. I don't know where my next stop is (need to look at my walkthrough), but I know I am getting Cyan back soon, and that will make things even better .

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Once you get two full parties, you can get Locke back.

I usually get Terra back shortly after getting the airship, so it won't be long.

I found her in Mobliz, but she blew me off to take care of some brats .

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Now you need to go behind the bookcase in the lower-left corner house in Mobliz. That'll start a cutscene where you'll get to fight Phunbaba again, and then she'll rejoin the party.

This is assuming you have the Falcon already, though.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Believe me, letting Cid dies gives you a better reward. The scene with Celes is incredibly powerful and really adds to her character. Saving the old man does nothing but relieve your conscience I guess...:rolleyes2

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Saving the old man does nothing but relieve your conscience I guess...:rolleyes2
    I usually do it for that reason. :P

I don't think it should even be a choice. He should just die.

I was playing on my emulator once and I had knocked a book over onto the "~" that makes it fast forward and when I got back to the computer Cid was dead, and I hadn't even left his house yet. I got him A single fish and went back in and no more Cid.

I don't think I've ever even wanted to save him since then. I'm still trying to figure out how she dodged all those rocks at the bottom.