Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: underrated!

If you mean personality then you are very much mistaken. Give me proof. Show me how Aeris's and Rinoa's weapons are the same. Show me how Squall's and Yuffie's personalities are similar.

VIII is by far from Underated. I'm with those saying its overrrated.
    Greatest HIts, 9.5 at IGN, I believe it was voted #3 final fantasy on Filter, beaten by X and VII, and some of the most annoying Fan Boys I have ever seen in my entire life.

But meh, to each their own.

*Cough*IX''s better*Cough*

replying to F F Freak!

Hers just a few similarities between 7 and 8
    1.Clouds isn’t very social neither is squall they both have swords as weapons.
    2. Rinoa falls in love with the main character and has healing powers.
    3. Zell and Tifa both use their hands in battle.

So you can't answer the request I made then? Also allow me to destroy No.s 1. and 2.

1. Squall has a Gun Blade not a sword.
    2. This makes no sense. Just a pointless fact about Rinoa. Also the fact that she also has magic like Fire and Blizzard not just healing magic.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfffan View Post
    Goldenboco ment that all the characters and the gameplay of the characters were the same in 8 he didn’t mention 7 I did because the characters are similar and nobody says they are all the same in 7 do they?
    First off I do. I think that the characters in FFVII are incredibly similiar and lack distinguishing abilities in battle. I didn't bring that up because I'm not talking about what I disliked about FFVII I'm talking about what I disliked in FFVIII.

on the first post he didn’t he just did then yea! anyway I said about the similarities of the characters in 7 and 8 because some people think the characters in 8 are weak but they are similar to the characters in 7.
    Secondly, is this english? I honestly have no idea what the **** you are saying here.

And thirdly the topic of this thread is is FFVIII underrated? The answer is no. It has more then its fair share of fans, its characters are very distinguishable, and you can even tell that it isn't underrated in EoFF because it's forum has more posts then any other FF forum except FFVII.

Ciddieless since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboco View Post
    and you can even tell that it isn't underrated in EoFF because it's forum has more posts then any other FF forum except FFVII.
    In all fairness, about half of those posts are pointless back and forth arguments about the R=U theory.
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

Also...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Anarcus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PuPu View Post
    There was no "depth" to FFVIII more than any other love story. Maybe there was more "depth" than the love stories of other FF's, since all of FFVIII was about Rinoa and Squall's love. As to the R=U theory, didn't Rinoa only get sorceress abilities because Ultimecia possessed her? That's probably why she only got "Angel Wing" after when she was possessed. As for Griever, she probably only created him out of Squall's imagination, probably to scare him. And if R=U were true, why would Ultimecia be fighting Rinoa? Without going into Time Compression jargon, Rinoa was Ultimecia before turning evil right? Well, that would mean that if Rinoa was dead, Ultimecia wouldn't exist then. Like people say, there really is not enough proof for R=U other than theories and "symbolism" in the game. And symbolism can be determined in many ways.
    Ultimecia has no memory of her former life whatsoever, and therefore has no idea who Squall and Rinoa are.
    Where is any of this even hinted in game?
    Put two and two together. I provided the evidence that Rinoa may be Ultimecia (didn't say for sure, which is what forces us to use our brains). Ultimecia tries to kill Squall and Rinoa and seems not to know who they are. GFs make people forget things. Ultimecia uses at least one GF that we know about: Griever.

Logic, people. Logic. Am I the only one with pointed ears here?
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."

--Chancellor Palpatine

Final Fantasy VIII: The Lionheart. Book one of my novelization.

"Being a hero is not what will save you, Squall Leonhart. You are searching for the wrong treasure."

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

Banned

This was posted by Goldenboco
    Please say you aren't serious! This game is far overrated. Its love story is incredibly forced (along with the rest of the story), there is almost no difference between characters in battle except for their limits, and characters, and the level up system is cheap and abusable. The game gets far too much praise then it deserves.

I think you summed up what I was talking about with that comment alone it proves its underrated! by a few most notably you!
    Why do you bother coming on to FF8 forums? all you do is slag the game off! At every opportunity and with the characters gamplay what are you talking about? there is a difference between the characters like Tifa in FF7 Zell uses his hands, squall uses a gun blade similar to Clouds sword and Irvine uses a gun like Barretts! The limit breaks are better than in 7 too.
    Why do you bother coming on EoFF either? All you do is go around acting all fanboyish to games such as FFVII and FFVIII and I hear you bash on FF Originals a lot because of their "crap graphics" or "horrible storyline." Just because Boco didn't agree with you doesn't mean that he is saying FF8 sucks. After all, I might not agree with your views of Final Fantasy, but it doesn't necessarily make you or me right. So why don't you stop acting like a predictable, ignorant fanboy/noob just because someone doesn't agree with you.

To get back on topic...

Anarcus, how did you know about the "other" GFs that Ultimecia used? Were there any? Can we prove there were more? Ok, I somehow don't think that she used Griever as a GF. It seemed (at least this is how it is to me anyways) that Griever was created using Ultimecia's magic, manifesting Squall's imagination of the most powerful GF into physical form. In short, an illusion of Ultimecia's magic. And with GF's, you obviously have them Junctioned to you, but in the battle, she said "I shall now Junction myself....unto Greiver!" This was like how Adel "Junctioned" Rinoa, but Rinoa wasn't a GF though.

I never said she used any other GFs. I said she used at least one GF that we know of.

My take on the Griever thing is that when Squall was killed, Rinoa blocked his path to the afterlife and imprisoned it in the Griever ring--something had had sentimental value to him--where over time he was transformed into "the most powerful GF in Squall's mind." He had become what he had imagined the legendary Griever would have been like. Thus, the GF that he had become was the most powerful GF "in his mind," i.e. he transformed into what he had imagined all of his life. This gives Ultimecia's "juntioning unto Griever" so much more meaning.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."

--Chancellor Palpatine

"Being a hero is not what will save you, Squall Leonhart. You are searching for the wrong treasure."

Also...

There was no "depth" to FFVIII more than any other love story. Maybe there was more "depth" than the love stories of other FF's, since all of FFVIII was about Rinoa and Squall's love. As to the R=U theory, didn't Rinoa only get sorceress abilities because Ultimecia possessed her? That's probably why she only got "Angel Wing" after when she was possessed. As for Griever, she probably only created him out of Squall's imagination, probably to scare him. And if R=U were true, why would Ultimecia be fighting Rinoa? Without going into Time Compression jargon, Rinoa was Ultimecia before turning evil right? Well, that would mean that if Rinoa was dead, Ultimecia wouldn't exist then. Like people say, there really is not enough proof for R=U other than theories and "symbolism" in the game. And symbolism can be determined in many ways.
    Ultimecia has no memory of her former life whatsoever, and therefore has no idea who Squall and Rinoa are.
    Put two and two together. I provided the evidence that Rinoa may be Ultimecia (didn't say for sure, which is what forces us to use our brains). Ultimecia tries to kill Squall and Rinoa and seems not to know who they are. GFs make people forget things. Ultimecia uses at least one GF that we know about: Griever.

You do realize that she may not know who they are because she never met them, and may not be related in any way, shape or form? Memory loss does not give any slight hint that she knew them at any point, nor does it hint that she might be Rinoa.

That is like saying I am eating a taco, a cow died a while ago. I am eating that very cow.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Odaisé Gaelach View Post
    and you can even tell that it isn't underrated in EoFF because it's forum has more posts then any other FF forum except FFVII.
    In all fairness, about half of those posts are pointless back and forth arguments about the R=U theory.
    True, true, I'll give you that.

Also...

I never said she used any other GFs. I said she used at least one GF that we know of.

My take on the Griever thing is that when Squall was killed, Rinoa blocked his path to the afterlife and imprisoned it in the Griever ring--something had had sentimental value to him--where over time he was transformed into "the most powerful GF in Squall's mind." He had become what he had imagined the legendary Griever would have been like. Thus, the GF that he had become was the most powerful GF "in his mind," i.e. he transformed into what he had imagined all of his life. This gives Ultimecia's "juntioning unto Griever" so much more meaning.
    Rinoa blocked his path to the...
    Oh won't even try to figure out how she could possibly do that...

Anyway, would you mind explaining to me how she lived that long? Rinoa's not immortal, face it there is the R=U theories aren't backed in the game.

You are trying to add depth to a depthless villian.

R=U is less then a theory, more of a fanfic, but not factually at all.

Quote Originally Posted by corncracker
    You do realize that she may not know who they are because she never met them, and may not be related in any way, shape or form? Memory loss does not give any slight hint that she knew them at any point, nor does it hint that she might be Rinoa.
    Yes, I realise this. If she, in fact, is not Rinoa, then this is the obvious answer. If she is, then I coupled this theory with what I was saying earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboco
    Rinoa blocked his path to the...
    Oh won't even try to figure out how she could possibly do that...

Anyway, would you mind explaining to me how she lived that long? Rinoa's not immortal, face it there is the R=U theories aren't backed in the game.
    I said it already: Sorceress prison. You know, like the one they put Adel in? She didn't seem to need sustainence while in it and also appeared to be in suspended animation, so that's the most obvious theory.

As to the soul-suspending thing, I think of the relationship between a sorceress and her knight to be similar to that of a summoner and her guardian in FFX, in that special bonds--love being the most obvious--gives her more power over her knight. This ties into another theory I have that all Final Fantasies are related, but that's a whole 'nother ballpark. Evidence of a sorceress having some effect over her knight's will is the flashback to when the team defeated Edea and watched as Seifer helped the newly-possessed Rinoa to her feet. He seems to be in some sort of a trance, and
    acknowledges the puppeteer being as "Sorceress Ultimecia."

I think GFs are exactly this: sorceresses' knights whose souls were bound to something to alter them into demons. This is based on the Doomtrain ring and the Diablos lamp, and putting this idea in motion is what makes me think that Squall was bound to the Griever ring from whence he emerged years later as Griever.
    You are trying to add depth to a depthless villian.
    Yes! Exaclty my point! I--and many others--see things like this as there being more than what is apparent.

Well, I've hardly tried. I've always been convinced of it and seeing this theme throughout the game--intentional or not--was always there. It's the explaination part as to how it all went down where trying come into play.
    Last edited by Darth Anarcus; 12-19-2006 at 02:55 PM.

--Chancellor Palpatine

Like I said, I have my own R=U theory, which doesn't rely on Rinoa living forever. I know she's mortal, and again, like I said, it in no way conflicts with the information Square has provided us with. Remember Adel's prison? It has to do with something like that.
    Oh... not this smeg again... We had to deal with this trite before. You aren't pushing anything new by trying to invoke the Prison.

But nowhere in the game does it ever say that there can be only one sorceress existing at a time. In fact, the tutorial says that the number of sorceresses in the world is not known. And let's not forget that Edea, followed by Rinoa who inherits her powers, exist while Adel is yet alive.

And it's also never stated that the sorceresses you fight are the ones who exist between Rinoa and Ultimecia's lifetimes. Time is being compressed, so they could be from throughout the history of the world.
    Or they could be in between you and Ultimecia, since, y'know, you're travelling forward through time, Ulti is controlling them, and her machine has a limit.

Er, because most of the people I've met that enjoy it seem to be smarter. And the explainations I've provided.
    Correlation!= Causation.

Actually, I choose to skip over and ignore anything that looks like that. So it's not that I don't understand it, it's that I don't read it.

I'm the smartest person I know.:D
    You must not know anyone. Poor dear.

In short, making her Rinoa in body only. Yes. Tons of depth. If you'll excuse me, I'm drowning in the sarcasm.

Logic, people. Logic. Am I the only one with pointed ears here?;)
    Just because you're physically deformed, it neither makes you logical, nor a space elf. You are, to repeat a coining, sodomizing parsimony with a marital aid made from prison plumbing. The above is a HUGE non sequitor.

And with THAT outrageous claim, you render your ability to prove it completely impossible. You fail, good day, enjoy your biscuit.

Yes, I realise this. If she, in fact, is not Rinoa, then this is the positive answer. Is she is, then I coupled this theory with what I was saying earlier.
    Theory, no. Wild screaming postulate, maybe.

I said it already: Sorceress prison. You know, like the one they put Adel in? She didn't seem to need sustainence while in it and also appeared to be in suspended animation, so that's the most obvious theory.
    Even assuming that it keeps her perfectly suspended (It doesn't), Rinoa still eventually ages and dies.

As to the soul-suspending thing, I think of the relationship between a sorceress and her knight to be similar to that of a summoner and her guardian in FFX, in that special bonds--love being the most obvious--gives her more power over her knight. This ties into another theory I have that all Final Fantasies are related, but that's a whole 'nother ballpark. Evidence of a sorceress having some effect over her knight's will is the flashback to when the team defeated Edea and watched as Seifer helped the newly-possessed Rinoa to her feet. He seems to be in some sort of a trance, and [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=&quot][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]acknowledges the puppeteer being as "Sorceress Ultimecia."
    You DO realize she was actually using Mind Control on the boy, si?
    Oh, and prove your claim that Sorcerer/Knight grants them powers. Though where are you getting the "guardian powers" thing from?

I think GFs are exactly this: sorceresses' knights whose souls were bound to something to alter them into demons. This is based on the Doomtrain ring and the Diablos lamp, and putting this idea in motion is what makes me think that Squall was bound to the Griever ring from whence he emerged years later as Griever.
    In short- No. In long- Prove it.

Yes! Exaclty my point! I--and many others--see things like this as there being more than what is apparent.
    No, you're trying to make up what simply is not there.

Well, I've hardly tried. I've always been convinced of it and seeing this theme throughout the game--intentional or not--was always there. It's the explaination part as to how it all went down where trying come into play.
    When an explanation requires far more rings than the entire corps of lanterns, it has issues, to say the least.

Ultimecia appeared few times in the game, but allways when she appeared, she has that air of mistery and wisdom around her, if you understand what i mean. She is a good villain, in my opinion.

Personally, I'm still of the opinion that Ultimecia works best with her mystery intact. Part of the point was that she was from a future so far along so as to be almost unrecognizeable--it makes great fanfic fodder, but sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

And sometimes, Ultimecia is that cigar.
    -Q