Thread: PCIe <-> PCI

Default PCIe <-> PCI

Will I be able to connect a PCI Express graphic card onto a PCI port?

Feared as much, thanks.

ISA
    EISA
    PCI
    AGP
    A few specialized slots I never see much mention of again... CNRs and others...
    PCIe

PCI is around 10? years old, and is still a standard in motherboards, via PCIe having a x1 slot which is basically a PCI slot with bells and whistles.
    PCI is a general card slot for almost any type of card, similar to ISA which came before it.

However years ago, PCI couldn't produce what was needed or wanted for video designers/developers/whoever, and AGP(Advanced Graphics Port?) was produced, offering twice, 4x, and eventually 8x the speed of the PCI standard.

A couple-few years ago, PCIe was manufactored to further push the limit of video graphics with 16x speeds now, and the ability to link two video cards together for increased power/speed.

PCIe 16x and AGP are only for graphics cards that I know of.

PCIe 1x(there may be 2x/4x as well but I havent really seen much of them out there...)is made for lower end devices that PCI slots would typically run.

PCI is for very low end graphics cards and general use for all other devices such as sound cards, modems, Network Interface Cards, etc.

ISA is an older standard similar to PCI, but even more ancient.

PCI is disappearing but still staying around kinda via PCIe 1x which it is similar to.
    AGP is slowly being phased out as newer cards aren't really been made in mass for the AGP standard with a hard limit on speed like it has, unless someone reinvents the wheel.

PCIe is running through its peak and still hasn't reached its hardware limits to my knowledge. Cards don't fully use the 16x yet AFAIK(info may be dated a few months.)

PCI - very low end graphics cards for older systems.. will not run Windows Vista to my knowledge. Will not run a majority of games in this day and age.. Will run older software just fine though.

AGP - will run most if not all of today's games, will do it pretty good, is still solid for a few more months at least. However age will start to catch it if it has not already.

PCIe - Has not reached its hardware limit yet, the sky is the limit til 16x is hit and required on games, then they will start squeezing juice out of it... When games start(if they havent already) requiring the higher speeds, AGP will pass into the shadows and PCIe will be alone.

I rebuilt my computer in February 2006... and haven't really researched things since then... at least not to much extent. So therefore you may want a second opinion.

I used AGP and Athlon 64, for low cost reasons.

Perhaps that was too much information for a simple question.....
    Last edited by ValiantKnight; 12-18-2006 at 08:05 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

PCIe 1x is not a PCI slot, nor can it take PCI cards - it's completely different. The 1x/2x/4x etc refer to how many pins PCIe is using, obviously the more it uses at the same time the higher raw bandwidth available for the card. PCIe 1x has almost twice the data rate of older PCI.
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

ah, didnt know.

Having never really messed with a PCIe board.
    So its just software compatible with PCI I guess then.. The operating system's view of the card? Something when it first came out mentioned backward compatibility with PCI.

/sorry for the misinformation.

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crono_logical View Post
    PCIe 1x is not a PCI slot, nor can it take PCI cards - it's completely different. The 1x/2x/4x etc refer to how many pins PCIe is using, obviously the more it uses at the same time the higher raw bandwidth available for the card. PCIe 1x has almost twice the data rate of older PCI.
    Additionally: The x multiplier for PCI Express specifies the number of pins and generally also the number of bandwidth lanes allocated to the slot. However, some cards have a smaller number of lanes than pins associated with them. (i.e. a 16x-wide slot may only have 8 or 4 lanes associate with it in some cases)

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantKnight View Post
    ah, didnt know.

Having never really messed with a PCIe board.
    So its just software compatible with PCI I guess then.. The operating system's view of the card? Something when it first came out mentioned backward compatibility with PCI.

/sorry for the misinformation.
    That's PCI-X, which is entirely different than PCIe. PCI-X is backward compatible with 3.3V PCI cards but very few desktop motherboards come with PCI-X. (it's mostly only seen on server motherboards)

btw the 8x agp interface was never fully used the main problem with agp based boards is that theres no new processors or memory for em while theres pretty solid agp graphics cards their gonna be bottle knecked by the cpu

the second problem is you can buy a expensive graphics card on agp then get the pcie version for half the price... :P