Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A feat of immense co-ordination.

Ball of Pure being sephirothishere's Avatar

first time baby....i rox0rz....nahhh....im pretty close to 100% ambidextrous for one...and i have honed my coordination for a good while....

Sephiro this here.

i used to be ambidextrous...i sure as heck can't do it though

Wow, I'm surprised at how many are able to do this in such a small amount of tries. Maybe I gave up too easily, or maybe I would find it easier on paper, even though I thought it might be harder.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I doubt it has anything to do with amibidextrousity to do. It's not that you're bad at using one of the hands, it's that the brain has trouble concentrating on two different shapes at once.

Mine look horrible, but they are definitely a square and a circle.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

well when trying just to sign my name i have to concentrate not to accidently stab myself in the eye heheh so yah

I failed at this miserably.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I, too, can make a decent square and a decent circle at the same time.
    It instantly becomes challenging, however, when you try to do so in under a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I doubt it has anything to do with amibidextrousity to do. It's not that you're bad at using one of the hands, it's that the brain has trouble concentrating on two different shapes at once.
    Yes, that's what the teacher said, and I agree. Being ambidextrous probably helps, but it's largely the difficulty of concentrating on both shapes at once that makes it so difficult. The teacher said it was impossible, and if you try to do it quickly, it probably is.

Maybe the others are finding it possible by doing it slowly, like Odd Eye.

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

I don't have a blackboard so I drew all over the wallpaper and got grounded. Seriously, I was at college on Tuesday when I read this thread and I forgot to try it
    ...Geddit?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Yes, that's what the teacher said, and I agree. Being ambidextrous probably helps, but it's largely the difficulty of concentrating on both shapes at once that makes it so difficult. The teacher said it was impossible, and if you try to do it quickly, it probably is.

Since ambidextrous people use both hands an both sides of their brain more frequently, it will be easier for them. An they may alternate between hands when drawing usually. Where as somebody who is dominant with one hand won't. So they'll have a lesser ability at even drawing with one of the hands. I can do it. I didn't find it difficult at all when I drew the square on the left, an the circle on the right. I managed to make a good circle an square first try. But when I tried it the other way round, I couldn't do it.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I did it just now, even though the square wound up looking like a rectangle. But the shapes are fairly smooth otherwise. The way I did it was by making a few circular movements with my hand that was drawing the circle before I started... as a "warm up" so to speak.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post

I'll be honest, it didn't take me that long, and is far from impossible.

While ambidexstrosity is a bonus (and a very large bonus, indeed), there's two major factors in this challenge. How often do you use your non-dominant hand, and can you focus on more than one thing at a time?

It all depends on your personal talents, and coordination. I suck at coordination, but I can focus on more than one thing at a time. In some ways, this is similar to patting your head with one hand, and rubbing your stomach with the other.

Then again, I write pretty frequently with my left hand, just for kicks. People say my handwriting sucks, and when they see my left hand, they say it's like a third grader's handwriting, but it's by far more legible.

Chances are, you'll find doing the square easier on the non-dominant hand, since you can stop to catch a break while the circle is still moving.

Blog Entries

YOU CAN"T DO IT
    now safe beneath their wisdom, and their feet;
    here i will teach you truly how, to sleep.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I made everyone at work try this preceded with the introductory question "Wanna look stupid?". No winners.

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Pretty easy. First try.

You just have to draw them at exactly the same speed, and each quadrant at the same speed.

I don't know if this will help, but I am right handed, drew the square with my right hand and the circle with my left. I used 2 dry-erase markers and a whiteboard.