Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let me AXE you a question

Default Let me AXE you a question

Who can, or is willing to, advocate variable damage weapons like axes & hammers, hand bombs, etc.

I just don't like the idea of "hit or miss" damage. The only reason I can see for using them is for inflicting status.

So what other arguments are there pro or con?

The same thing goes for a lot of the technicks:

is anyone "consuming all MP to change the HP of an ally to 10 times that amount?"

or "consuming all HP to revive a fallen ally?"

or "casting a random black magic on a foe?"

Brian: "If I remember correctly, this is the Physics Department."
    Chris: "That would explain all the gravity."

Yea i know whatcha mean about axes and what not...Bashe is like my axe and hammer man, yet Vaan is doing a consistant damaged around 1700-2500 depending on the critter if not more sometimes.

Baschs axe is damage 71, yet i dont know...i dont mind hitting lower occasionally if his clobbering hit was alot more devastating. I think the idea is to toss a haste on em and just let em rip, but as i said his high blow isnt too devastating with that axe.
    -=-Setharion-=-
    If you love RPGs check out this link:http://www.konamistars.com/konamistars/?u=setharion

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Basch with Haste, Berserk, and a good axe is pretty crazy. Of course, I realized how much more reliable swords were near the end of the game, but I still love doing crazy random damage.

I had Ashe with a hammer for awhile. But I got rid of it in place of the typical sword because I like the 2,500 constant damage much more than the chance of 4,000 damage.

I didn't bother with axes n' such for the random reason either. I did use Shades of Black on flying enemies for a while, though. But most of the the techniks, including the others you listed, I just ignored entirely.

I do find that im bummed the way this game is setup in regards to magic and other things like techniques.

Im lvl 40+ and in all my battles ive yet to use one black magic spell in fighting.

I may end up using aeroaga here for the antlion, but so far its been all melee and ranged attacks...
    -=-Setharion-=-
    If you love RPGs check out this link:http://www.konamistars.com/konamistars/?u=setharion

Magicks can be useful with strong mag. power, and if you've got three or four enemies packed together.

What I don't like is:

the fact that water gets no upgrade...it's (decently) powerful when you first get it, but it quickly loses its effectiveness.

Also, there is no earth-type magic, and most of the earth elem. weapons are NOT ranged...so they are no good against all of the flying monsters that are weak to earth.

There just seems to be a lot of issues that were ignored (or at least put on the permanent back burner) with this game... and I know I'm prone to complaint, but I do like the game. I'm just very particular.

I mean, someone (can't remember who) on the bonus disc mentions how much more there was to the game that didn't make the final cut due to various constraints...time being a major one, for example.

It seems to me that despite a long delay, the game was still consdirably far from what many who worked on it would call a "final product."

Oh im sure magic can be powerful, its just what i meant was the games been easy for the most part in terms of not needing magic really.

What i mean is that everything ive done now, up to about 16 marks so far and just everything else has been done with melee and bows or what not.

I just cant see how to set up a true mage in this game, any ideas?

Its one of the many reasons why i dont like the total freedom to create clones, because i like a set path for classes.
    I
    -=-Setharion-=-

Axe damage depends on Vitality, good vitality means good chance for higher damage. I still use Axe because my Basch/Balthier always deal good damage and Scorpion Tail is in top 5 best attack power. Handbombs works the same as Axe but Handbombs act as long-ranged version of Axe.

Most Technicks are useless, the only one I use is Steal, Libra, Poach, Charge and Telekinesis.

FFX have no wind or earth magic. Some of the previous only have Fire, Ice and Lightning. This game is already generous by inputting Water and Wind magic and this game rarely have a missable Esper/Item/Rare Game/Mark etc.

Magic is very useful when you're fighting some strong boss/optional boss/mark because some of them make themselves immune to physical attack. VERY VERY USEFUL especially when Shock killed Zodiark and Behemoth King for me.

The Late Owen Macwere Production.

The only time I ever put up with the inconsistent damage output of axe type weapons was when I got Franciscas to drop from the Cerberus enemies around the Feywood when I was farming them early in my first ventures to Mt. Bur Omisace. The only reason I used them then was because they were capable of doing much, much more damage than any other weapon I had access to at the time, and the overall damage output was significantly higher than what I was using prior to getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Setharion View Post
    Oh im sure magic can be powerful, its just what i meant was the games been easy for the most part in terms of not needing magic really.

What i mean is that everything ive done now, up to about 16 marks so far and just everything else has been done with melee and bows or what not.

Its one of the many reasons why i dont like the total freedom to create clones, because i like a set path for classes.
    I
    I gotcha. The only suggestion I can think of is "underleveling." (heh, heh) Since there are "magick weapons" whose damage depends on "magick power" there's rarely need of a true mage-type character except for healing purposes.

And I agree about cloning. In the first part of the game there is a decent amount of individualized paths, but eventually all of the paths intersect, and it becomes impossible to keep from over-duplicating.

Not to mention that the license board seems somewhat small. When I first started progressing over the board, I thought, "I hope there is some secret section of this board that I haven't revealed yet." With the golden amulets, it's very easy to complete most of the board before obtaining a whole lot of the items, abilities, etc.

Even with the sphere grid, you had to progress quite a ways before you started developing clones.

Yea i liked the sphere grid...i just liked that it did keep everyone with their own identity.

In one of the threads further down i delve into the cloning aspect of this game if you havent seen it, but its just i dont like the freedom...i like tradition rpg lore that a caster isnt going to be able to equip heavy armor nor weild a great axe, and a tank isnt going to cast high end magic etc.

In this game its too easy to give everyone everything, it just kills any kind of lore thats been built around RPGs.

As i said before in that other thread, i wouldnt mind if you had the choice to have 6 tanks if you wanted or 6 casters etc...but once you picked a path you were restricted too it and had to stay within options of that path. If you wanted vaan and bashe fighters, they could be 2H fighters, sword and shield fighters, thiefs perhaps etc...tons of options but their class would be identifiable. And same goes with casters and what not.

It just makes for a more realistic setting in my book having the characters fulfilling their own roles better than anyone else can.
    -=-Setharion-=-

Quote Originally Posted by farplaner View Post

I
    I gotcha. The only suggestion I can think of is "underleveling." (heh, heh) Since there are "magick weapons" whose damage depends on "magick power" there's rarely need of a true mage-type character except for healing purposes.

And I agree about cloning. In the first part of the game there is a decent amount of individualized paths, but eventually all of the paths intersect, and it becomes impossible to keep from over-duplicating.

Not to mention that the license board seems somewhat small. When I first started progressing over the board, I thought, "I hope there is some secret section of this board that I haven't revealed yet." With the golden amulets, it's very easy to complete most of the board before obtaining a whole lot of the items, abilities, etc.

Even with the sphere grid, you had to progress quite a ways before you started developing clones.
    My question is have you completed the License Board?

Yea i liked the sphere grid...i just liked that it did keep everyone with their own identity.

In one of the threads further down i delve into the cloning aspect of this game if you havent seen it, but its just i dont like the freedom...i like tradition rpg lore that a caster isnt going to be able to equip heavy armor nor weild a great axe, and a tank isnt going to cast high end magic etc.

In this game its too easy to give everyone everything, it just kills any kind of lore thats been built around RPGs.

As i said before in that other thread, i wouldnt mind if you had the choice to have 6 tanks if you wanted or 6 casters etc...but once you picked a path you were restricted too it and had to stay within options of that path. If you wanted vaan and bashe fighters, they could be 2H fighters, sword and shield fighters, thiefs perhaps etc...tons of options but their class would be identifiable. And same goes with casters and what not.

It just makes for a more realistic setting in my book having the characters fulfilling their own roles better than anyone else can.
    The easiest way is to not equip them with the weapon they are not supposed to wear and to not use the magic they are not supposed to use. OK?

The Late Owen Macwere Production.

The easiest way is to not equip them with the weapon they are not supposed to wear and to not use the magic they are not supposed to use. OK?

Its the principle of it all.
    -=-Setharion-=-

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I disagree. I don't think there's a "not supposed to use" in FFXII.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?