Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the one thing i hate about IX

Default the one thing i hate about IX

This game is fantastic and my absolute favorite, i'm on my fifth file right now, almost done with it. But there is one thing that has always infuriated me about this game: i cant save a trance when i get one!

I was just now fighting maliris and not once the entire battle did she attack Zidane, but once i killed her and she pulled off that finishing move, it knocked Zidane into a trance. Complete waste of his trance (not to mention it killed Vivi so he didnt get any AP), so i just reset the game. Had it been someone like Eiko or Steiner i wouldnt have minded, but Zidane and Vivi's trances i hate to waste.

I know it adds a certain amount of planning in the game, so you can time the trances right when you get into a boss battle....but something like Zidane not getting hit until the end is rather unavoidable. So uh...does this piss off anyone else?

It can be irritating, but I like they Idea you can't control trance. Trance is a power that comes from a surge of emotions, so it's not something really controlable.

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

Limit Break > Trance

I never get worked up about things like this. My main source of damage comes from Frog Drop and Dragon Crest
    ...Geddit?

i can be annoying but the game would be way to easy if you decide when to use trance like the limit breaks

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

Quote Originally Posted by corncracker View Post
    It can be irritating, but I like they Idea you can't control trance. Trance is a power that comes from a surge of emotions, so it's not something really controlable.
    Exactly. If you're going to lose your temper you can't exactly save it for the next day.

I personally didn't like the bit on the world map where you go from day to night. That orange haze was yucky.

I don't like that fact that you can't control the Trance either. There were times I was fighting weak enemies and one of my characters would trance. It was very annoying

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

it was annoying but i think it added to the game cause as duality said, you can't exactly control your anger, and emotions are where the trance comes from. just chilax, it's a game

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

It seems like in X it's triggered by emotions too for example

1. If you have your character on Stoic, if he gets hit enough times he or she will get mad and perform and overdrive on you Tidus getting hit by a Bashura "Rarh that's the last time you hit me Slice and Dice Time!"
    2. Comrade fills up when your allies get hit too much "Hey you hit Kimahri's friends for the last time Fire Breath!"

3.Ally Charges when it's the character's turn Rikku "Yippee it's my turn again boom boom, Mix time!"

Yellow Winged Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Duality View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by corncracker View Post
    Exactly. If you're going to lose your temper you can't exactly save it for the next day.

I personally didn't like the bit on the world map where you go from day to night. That orange haze was yucky.
    You mean Treno? Or that forgotten continent or whatever?

And maybe they have issues with their tempers...if i was zidane, and was fighting maliris and wasnt hit once until she died and used her death move, i'd be like "ha! didnt work, you loser!" not like "graaaaaaah! i'ma keel you a second time biatch!"

Oh well, whatever *shrug* Like i said before, it does add another element of planning that you have to do. You wanna get your trance up high enough to where it'll be triggered fast in a boss fight, but not where it'll be triggered by a random encounter. Maybe thats what they were going for.

Quote Originally Posted by VengefulRonin View Post
    You mean Treno? Or that forgotten continent or whatever?

And maybe they have issues with their tempers...if i was zidane, and was fighting maliris and wasnt hit once until she died and used her death move, i'd be like "ha! didnt work, you loser!" not like "graaaaaaah! i'ma keel you a second time biatch!"

Oh well, whatever *shrug* Like i said before, it does add another element of planning that you have to do. You wanna get your trance up high enough to where it'll be triggered fast in a boss fight, but not where it'll be triggered by a random encounter. Maybe thats what they were going for.
    Somewhere around there yeah, been a while since I played it but I remember that it freaked me out when I first saw the screen turn orange and I've never liked it since.

I agree that trance does add to strategies and whatnot, but I always think its best to plan assuming you aren't going to get a trance, but maybe thats just because I've grew bitter at bosses never hitting nearly tranced people or random encounters pushing characters into trances just before the boss...

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I didn't mind the way Trance worked. The Trance system was more challenging and harder to abuse than the ones in FFVII and FFVIII (Aura or low HP = spamming limit breaks), but it was still clearly useful and not like in FFVI where you can beat the entire game without even knowing that limit breaks exist. In addition, you can use the ability High Tide to make Trance occur more frequently.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

I didn't dig the Trance system too much. It didn't hurt the game in my eyes, but it's still just an overall annoyance. That and sorta-long loading times each time you go into battle are my only two complaints with this whole game, but neither were a huge deal to me in the face of its ultimate awesomeness.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

the trance system is sort of more realistic than others seems as nearly all limits and specials are emotion powered and you cant just save your emotions for later.

in FF6 and 8 the limits could have just been because of pain but emotions sound better so thats probably what triggers it. and in FF9 its clearly stated and in FF7:AC clouds omnislash he uses on sephiroth is quite clearly emotion fueled.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Yeah, it makes sense for it to be emotion. I like in X how it could be different things, like you being hit too much, someone else being hit too much, etc. Didnt make much sense to be able to save the overdrives, but it was sure nice xD

I liked the trance system.. the one thing I didn't like about ff9 was the fact that stealing was a pain in the butt..

Example: You know that Giant guy you fight when your about or have eiko.. And he has the... fairy flute or something.. I was sitting there for a straight 1 to an 1 1/2 trying to steal that thing.. It is insane.

I understand that the items that you steal are decent and most of the time you get them later anyways.. but still.. Usually during boss fights zidaine is stuck on steal duty the entire fight..

it just urks me...