Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this any good?

Default Is this any good?

I've started the game but never could really get into it. However, I am thinking of starting it again. Is it a good game? The level-up system is interesting me.

I'm a lazy sod.

'Gabby Hayes' big Bart's Friend Milhouse's Avatar

It is a very good game and totally worth your efforts even if you're just going to complete it once. It did take me some time to get into the groove of the things and it's levelling up system (if you can even call it that) punished my overconfident approach to the game. Give it a second chance
    ...Geddit?

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Play it again. That's all I have to say.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Play it if you have the GBA version, the NES one is pretty crap.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

The game has a pretty good storyline for its time, but the battle system is very tedious unless you're playing the GBA version. If you have FF Origins or FF Dawn of Souls, you might as well play FFII too after you've beat FFI.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Smile

The stat system is ver creative. Each stat is gained by what you do in battle:
    HP/ Stamina Up: Lose HP in Battle
    MP/ Intelligence,Wisdom: Use MP in Battle.
    etc.etc
    I had trouble getting into it myself (on the ps1 game) but for some odd reason, I actually played it on gameboy. Overall, it's a pretty good game!

I recommend it.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

It's a fun game. Play it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's pretty good, not divinely life changing, but overall, it's a pretty good little game when you just want a game.

I only have experience with the NES version to speak of, but I recommend you avoid it like the plague. It is absolutely horrible. Don't listen to anyone who tries to excuse the "leveling" system, unless there were major changes made in the other versions, anyone who pretends it's even remotely tolerable is a liar.

There were changes made, yes. I can't say how extream they were, since I haven't played the NES version. But in Origins and DoS (more the latter than the former) I found the system not only tolerable, but fun. People have different tastes. Deal.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

In NES, the battles were horribly slow, and casting a spell on everyone (either all enemies or all allies) pretty much took forever since the spells were hitting one target at a time, and the game was displaying an effect information box between every hit. Leveling up HP and MP were very slow, and most of all, weapons and magic took ages to level up.

In FFII WSC and FFII Origins, the battle speed and group casting effects were greatly improved, and it was a lot faster to level up weapons. However, HP, MP and spells were still very slow to level up in those versions, greatly discouraging the use of magic.

In FFII DoS, HP pretty much increases on its own, so you don't need to worry about that, and the spells level up a lot faster. You still need to level up your party a lot, but it's clearly more tolerable in FFII DoS. Leveling up MP is still a bit of a problem there, but I usually solve that by raising the spell Sap on a high level and using it to drain the MP of my party members.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's a good game, but it's incredibly tedious. Don't play it if you aren't accustomed to ancient dungeon crawlers.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLadyNyara View Post
    There were changes made, yes. I can't say how extream they were, since I haven't played the NES version.
    Do you still lose strength for using magic, and lose magic power for attacking? That was what made the system completely moronic. You'll want at least one magic user, and in every dungeon your mage has the same options for each of the 34803465 battles you fight, none of the options good:

1. waste mp casting a spell that you don't need to cast, so that you don't have any left when you get get to the boss and do need it.
    2. attack and risk having your magic power lowered.
    3. waste an item you don't need to use.
    4. run and hope this isn't a rare time it works, wasting the effort you've exerted fighting the monster so far.

Don't know about the other versions, but there was no "defend" option in the nes.

Quote Originally Posted by ,,, View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLadyNyara View Post
    There were changes made, yes. I can't say how extream they were, since I haven't played the NES version.
    Do you still lose strength for using magic, and lose magic power for attacking? That was what made the system completely moronic.
    In Origins, yes, Dawn of Souls, no. Again, personal taste.

Don't know about the other versions, but there was no "defend" option in the nes.
    That's still true, but frankly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.