Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: scary retouching

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default scary retouching

Thought I'd share some links I found to do with retouching for magazines and stuff..similar to the Dove campaign for real beauty thing if you saw that on You Tube.

http://demo.fb.se/e/girlpower/retouc...uch/index.html

This one just shows step by step the bits they retouch and then a before and after thing.

http://glennferon.com/portfolio1/index.html

http://www.fluideffect.com/

These two are portfolios showing retouched photos with before and after, people like Halle Berry, Destiny's Child, Usher in there too and also a section showing the photos actually used on magazines.

I always knew they did a little but not this much. Some of those photos are scary. Though I guess it makes sense to make it look as good as possible for magazines. But it's sad if it makes anyone think they should look like that =/ Most of the latter of these are pretty scary looking anyway, the women look like rubber

I thought it was kinda interesting to play around with anyway! Behold the power of photoshop...
    rawr

i gotta get someone to touch me up :P

I'm very impressed.

And that isn't sarcasm, for once.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

It's known, of course, but until you actually see it, its intensity isn't really taken to heart.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I saw the Dove commercial which was pretty scary, even when you do know how much companies photoshop people, because you see it for yourself, as Nomunius Experse put it. But the celebrity before and after... it certainly did make me feel better. xD

This reminds me of someone who goes to my school. She's a fashion model, because she's 5'9" and extremely skinny. She's has a nasty attitude, and really is not pretty, in my opinion, but she's rather condescending to me, because even though she considers me her friend, she constantly likes to subtly call me fat and say how no one finds people like me beautiful because I'm a size 8 and 5'0" and she's a size 4 and so model tall. She always likes to go on about how anyone over a size 5 or 6 is so fat and such. It used to really bother me, but it just amuses me now, because I've seen her model photos and photoshop completely makes over her face and body. She needs all that to feel beautiful, and she needs to constantly tell everyone she's a model to feel beautiful, when there are so many people who she'd consider fat and ugly who don't need that to be beautiful, because they naturally are beautiful. Not fake super skinny super soft beautiful, but really beautiful.

Photoshop is quite a tool.
    Last edited by Rye; 12-31-2006 at 12:28 AM.

An even after removing the retouching they'll still be lit well in the picture an they've had their make-up done by a professional etc. So they'll look a lot rougher in real life than they do even after the retouching has been removed. I don't know why people are so against retouching when it's not being used to sell anything though. The only time I think it's a bad thing is when it's an advertisement for something, an they give a false impression of what the product does. An I'm not fond of Doves campaign for what they consider to be real beauty. Real beauty does not mean not exercising, an being flabby an untoned. Promoting flabbage is no better than promoting skinnyness. Judging by the women in doves campaign,real beauty means being outfit, untoned, having saggy breasts, great big wobbly thighs, a big wide stomach an waistline, an being flabby all over. That's real beauty?! As opposed to what, the She-devil?

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Yeah, I saw the Dove commercial which was pretty scary, even when you do know how much companies photoshop people, because you see it for yourself, as Nomunius Experse put it. But the celebrity before and after... it certainly did make me feel better. xD

This reminds me of someone who goes to my school. She's a fashion model, because she's 5'9" and extremely skinny. She's has a nasty attitude, and really is not pretty, in my opinion, but she's rather condescending to me, because even though she considers me her friend, she constantly likes to subtly call me fat and say how no one finds people like me beautiful because I'm a size 8 and 5'0" and she's a size 4 and so model tall. She always likes to go on about how anyone over a size 5 or 6 is so fat and such. It used to really bother me, but it just amuses me now, because I've seen her model photos and photoshop completely makes over her face and body. She needs all that to feel beautiful, and she needs to constantly tell everyone she's a model to feel beautiful, when there are so many people who she'd consider fat and ugly who don't need that to be beautiful, because they naturally are beautiful. Not fake super skinny super soft beautiful, but really beautiful.

Okay, Rye, for starters, a Size 8 is not fat. If 8 is fat, then Im obese as Im 8/10.

It is nice to see that celebritys have some imperfections.

Thats why you sneak her fat bars that make you gain weight, just say that they make you contain your figure and then she cant fit in her pants anymore :evil:

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy View Post

Okay, Rye, for starters, a Size 8 is not fat. If 8 is fat, then Im obese as Im 8/10.

That's what I said to her. I'm don't love how I look, but I don't think that being a size 8 makes me really fat. Though a size 8 in the US is a size 12 in the UK, if you go by womens sizes. I wear juniors though because I'm short and I need shorter pants, so I don't know my size in womens.

And haha, wasn't that in Mean Girls or something, LoveArya? xD
    Last edited by Rye; 12-31-2006 at 01:16 AM.

I need one of those with a scalpal.
    Sigless

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy View Post

That's what I said to her. I'm don't love how I look, but I don't think that being a size 8 makes me really fat.

And haha, wasn't that in Mean Girls or something, LoveArya? xD
    lol yes.
    A size 8 isnt fat, so just ignore her. Shes ugly anyway

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think retouching is a bad thing, in terms of making images look nice it's important I think, and they need to do this stuff for magazines. It's just a shame if people think it's all real and get worried about it. I mean, I don't really because I reckon with all the treatment those people get (including makeup artists etc), I'd easily be ultra hot. XDD But it is nice to see those people looking more "normal".

Also with the Dove thing, I don't think they're saying, oh real beauty is flabby and stuff. They are just using a bit of an extreme to show the point. I mean in the advert I saw, the women looked fairly normal, not too flabby... but it does make me feel better to see stuff like that being recognised, all the same. Either way it doesn't matter, everyone can be beautiful
    rawr

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I don't think retouching is a bad thing, in terms of making images look nice it's important I think, and they need to do this stuff for magazines. It's just a shame if people think it's all real and get worried about it. I mean, I don't really because I reckon with all the treatment those people get (including makeup artists etc), I'd easily be ultra hot. XDD But it is nice to see those people looking more "normal".

Also with the Dove thing, I don't think they're saying, oh real beauty is flabby and stuff. They are just using a bit of an extreme to show the point. I mean in the advert I saw, the women looked fairly normal, not too flabby... but it does make me feel better to see stuff like that being recognised, all the same. Either way it doesn't matter, everyone can be beautiful

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Exactly. In the commercials I've seen, I didn't see anyone who I'd consider too flabby either. I guess it depends on one's standards, but I thought the women were all quite beautiful and more importantly, happy.

These are women from the dove campaign: http://creativeskirts.typepad.com/cr...ages/dove1.png
    http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/im...0sideswipe.JPG
    Surely you agree those women are flabbergasters? An when Dove do things like this:
    http://www.epica-awards.org/assets/e...0Wonderful.jpg I don't know how they expect us to take their campaign seriously. OLD be beautiful. OLD! She looks like one of the living dead!