Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: scary retouching

Quote Originally Posted by Megami View Post
    This is what we call "personal tastes". But the basic idea is still the same.
    Again, you're assuming. For all you know, my idea of beauty could be somebody with one eye, a pink afro, an buck teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Anaisa View Post
    Again, you're assuming. For all you know, my idea of beauty could be somebody with one eye, a pink afro, an buck teeth.
    If that would be , you'd be contradicting yourself since you have said above that the concept of beauty doesn't vary too much.

But if you now agree that is subjective, we're reaching an agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Megami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaisa View Post
    If that would be , you'd be contradicting yourself since you have said above that the concept of beauty doesn't vary too much.

But if you now agree that is subjective, we're reaching an agreement.
    I said: The opinion amongst people doesn't even vary enough for there to be no standard. Meaning overall amongst all people it doesn't vary much. That doesn't mean there aren't people who have a rare concept of beauty, it just means their in the minority. I didn't say it didn't vary at all. An I didn't say my opinion of beauty doesn't vary too much from most peoples.

I think the fact that the women in the third picture: http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/im...0sideswipe.JPG has quite large breasts doesn't help. If you took away them, she wouldn't look so big.

If people let magazines and the media define what is considered beautiful, we give permission for other people to make us feel inferior and not "good enough".

I don't think re-touching is bad - but I don't think it should be done to the extent it is performed.

no offense to anyone, but those ads should only make you feel inferior if you are grossly insecure. that being said, ads in magazines or commercial television shouldn't discourage people from being who and what they are, as they so often and sadly do.

This kind of perfectionistic approach is not going to help those who are subjected to it; us, the Western consumers. Little girls are already complaining of being too fat, or Christ's sake!

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know why this would come as a shock or a relief to anyone. It's well known that not only do these people get their hair, make-up and clothes done professionally, they are retouched afterwards.

No one looks as good as the people in magazines.

And let us not forget.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having seen the work done by a make-up artist and modelling studio team first hand (no I was not the model, but I was with the model at the time) I know that a good make up artist can do wonders with things like eyebrows and "black bags" under the eyes without the computer doing work at all, so not all of it is touching up.

Also The top link that showed how the breasts were made to look bigger and fuller, well I have to say if you ladies buy your bra's correctly is easily performed by a decent bra (I've actually brought bra's for women so know a little about this kind of thing, I also worked in women's clothes stores for a while and still often have to help out at work on our clothing department which incidentally is primarily for women so my knowledge goes up 2 notches there.) Buying a bra from a shop like Ann Summers is far more likely to fit correctly and provide proper support than buying a bra from your local market or shop. Of course however I do understand that a lot of women will refuse to pay about £30 for a bra alone and a further 10 - 20 quid on the matching panties.

A lot of the stuff on there may or may not be touching up when you see a magazine cover, obviously for the purposes of that image they hired someone (whether or not she was an actual model or a random woman they knew is neither here nor there) and did do it via the computer but in all honesty I don't think every magazine cover is all done like that.

Touching up is far from a bad thing heck if I had the oppourtunity to have a proffessional touch up pictures of me I sure as hell would take it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I am well aware of all the retouching going on in the media business, and I have grown pretty tired of it all. When they use real girls, they should let them stay real. A girl that is photoshopped to hell and back isn't the same girl, imo.

Also, my grandmother looks much better than the old thing in the dove commercial. :]
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Some people simply aren't beautifull, some aren't even good looking and a few are actualy butt ugly. So what? Does everyone have to be beautifull, and if they aren't, they fail? Because thats the message I am getting from these kinds of campaigns. There is more to a person than just looks. Instead of pretending that people who aren't pretty are, we (and they as well) should to accept this.